New Water?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

What is the most common source of you finding new water to flyfish?

JH

I find the selection "internet" ambiguous. In light of the neverending discussion of how the internet is the bane of all secret streams, I suspect you mean mby that a mention of a stream on the internet. I find very few streams that way, but I'm always tempted to look into fishing any stream that when named draws vehement responses about not mentioning specific streams-- that really peaks my interest. On the other hand, I use the internet to research all my efforts to find new streams. The PFBC web site, mapping programs, etc. So I have to say the internet is my primary source, but not in the way of hearing about a stream, but in the way of using it as a tool to research the possibilities.

Actually I figure out where i'm gonna be and get out the Delorme...then check streams against the Class A list to see fi I should even explore them...I have actually received my best suggestions on the water. get talking to someone on a big stream like Kettle and they tell you about a smaller feeder around the corner.

I would probably put the internet but it comes from my own searching on the PFBC and looking at maps not by other people's help.

Do you mean my most common source, or what I feel is the most common source for all anglers?

If you are talking my most common source, it isn't on the list.

My favorite way to find new water is to explore but at the same time I like to be somewhat prepared before I go out. I use the internet a lot but not for stream report info but to use topo maps and aerial imagery to get an idea of where they flow and what type of environment they're in. I think word of mouth is probably one of the biggest ways that anglers find new waters to fish as typically it comes from a trusted source rather than some random posting on the net. My PA gazetteer has done wonders for me finding new streams to fish also.

I'm like most who have said the internet. While I don't pay so much attention to stream reports, I do reference the PF&BC website and online maps, USGS waterflow, etc. Research is KEY! The gazateer is also good to have. A very close second would be information given by fellow anglers. I've been fortunate and have been given some great information for a couple of streams that have become my favorites. :cool:

Here is what I think most fly-fisherman need to do.

First who does not own Meck,Landis and the Gazetter? If you don't shut down and call it a day.

Seriously if you dont, you need to join TU, spend money at your local fly shop (and NOT the big box store coming to an area near you) and gain information this way. And assuming you a decent person; your fishing buddies. I use the internet to fill in some blanks about locations but most places I have a pretty good idea to start with.

Just to throw some Catholic guilt on you (I am good at this with 13 years of Catholic school under my belt) do a project with TU and give something back.

Happy reading!

I don't own Meck or Landis though I've borrowed both from the library at least once. I don't feel I need to join TU, nor do I feel an obligation to patronize a local flyshop, either to keep them in business for some reason or to gain specialized secret local information. I only spent 8 years in Catholic School, so whereas I have a decently developed sense of guilt, I have not taken it, apparently, to the lengths that you have. I "give back" in different ways and to be honest, would like to see other people do more of that, but I try to refrain from stating that they need to do so or implying that there is only one valid way for a fly angler to contribute to the common good.

FarmerDave,

The question I'm asking is, What is your source of finding new water to fish? If it's not the list, and if it's not a secert, would you share your source? I'm not asking if you research a stream/area on the internet. I think everyone who has a computer uses it for research of various things from maps to patterns.
I usually find out about places that I haven't fish through a couple of shops that I visit. I will research this area/stream with the guide books and the internet, but the last 6 or 7 new waters I've fished were brought to my attention at the local fly shops.
JH

I always use internet to find a class A stream near where I am going. I carry printouts of all class A and streams with natural production with me. I will usually check out the class A stream first and go from there. If I am traveling more than an hour from home I always try to have a few backups. I also look at elevation and which side of the mountain the stream is on. I will venture on to a stream that is on the north side of a mountain before the south side. There is so many ways to gather info I really can't say what I use most. I havent gotten many streams from other anglers just because I dont run into very many. Many streams I've ended up on where just dumb luck. I drive till I see water, check the temp, and go from there. You never know what youll find!!! This worked better in VT than in PA.

flyfishermanj wrote:
FarmerDave,

The question I'm asking is, What is your source of finding new water to fish? If it's not the list, and if it's not a secert, would you share your source? I'm not asking if you research a stream/area on the internet. I think everyone who has a computer uses it for research of various things from maps to patterns.
I usually find out about places that I haven't fish through a couple of shops that I visit. I will research this area/stream with the guide books and the internet, but the last 6 or 7 new waters I've fished were brought to my attention at the local fly shops.
JH

No secret. My main source is Maps. The blue lines are water, and the blue lines where i haven't visited yet are new water. :-D

Seriously, I usually have an idea of what area I want to go, and I get out the maps. Most of the time I am headed to NWPA, and i have a pretty good idea of the area (grew up there) and the geology and where not to go. I have USGS topo maps for many of the areas where I go, and I have a gazatteer for PA and Ohio. I can get by with just the maps.

The internet is also a useful tool of maps and I also visit the approved trout waters lists, and also find the list of streams with reproduction to be helpful. However, i don't just look at the Class A lists. I probably use this info more than I normally would, because i don't get to go trout fishing as much as I used to. I didn't even buy a PA license this year (but i still might). With the risk of sounding like a Browns fan, "there is always next year."

I don't use stream reports. I don't think I have ever used a fly shop as a source for finding new water either. But i still believe in supporting small business.

flyfishermanj wrote:
FarmerDave,

JH

After reading what your follw up post, I'd go with fellow anglers rather than the internet. Also I use books, gazateer included. I have both the Meck and Landis books and have read about streams and new waters there. These have been invaluable. I used to travel in PA a lot for work and if I were going to be gone for a few days, I'd take my gear with me and learn some new water. Since I'd work longer days and not have much time at night to fish, these were great because the books got me to waters quickly where I didn't have time to really do the kind of exploring I'd do if I had all day.

most of the time for me it is from all the hikes I take.You wouldn't believe what is out there that people don't know about.Most of my fishing is small stream or class - A trout streams and good old fashion leg work is the best way to find them

Where do the answers come from for these polls? No of the above.
I go out when the weather is cold during the winter and check out streams. I also explore upstream and downstream on known streams. Keep in mind I don't fish stocked streams, they hold no interest for me, except for Big Pine which is a wild trout stream that is stocked.

None of the above usually applies to me most of the time, and then internet I usually tack on fishing with a family trip, so in PA I will look at the approved trout and class A lists nearby where we will staying. Then it is off to my Delormes to try and locate. I also now use PA state forest maps thanks to some input from this site. I find those more detailed than Delormes, and good for finding those no name roads.

If I am fishing out of state, I hit the internet harder for info. Last year when we went out west, I hired a guide to fish the Snake, so I established a relationship with the fly shop. I then was able to have a couple of conversations with one of the guys at the shop and got some other spots to try on my own. I was also fortunate to have a REALLY understanding wife and kids that would let me literally stomp on the brakes in the car and pull over and fish any fishing looking stream. Out in WY, if it looked fishy, it was!

For salt water, I think you really need to hit the boards and post. Timing is as or even more important than location. I had a lot of great help from the guys on the Fla. Sportsman board a couple of months ago, before I went to FL. They helped me figure out what type of fish was going to be around, and then provided some good spots for access.

None of the above. Guidebooks. Especially on extended trips away from my familiar water.

Landis and Meck, the PFBC website, followed by a gazeteer survey and a few follow-up questions on the web.

I have not found local fly shops to be a good source of GOOD information......lots of smoke and mirrors here. I was given blantant misinformation once after buying a flyrod once and have many other simular experiences.

For those of you who just wander around with a gazeteer, well you all must be retired or young and without kids or something, cause I don't have that kind of time.

Like others I merely use the internet to research my intended locations. The rest I do out of either information from other anglers, gut feelings(by a streams location and how it looks), and occassionally the Landis book if Im going out of my normal home waters and looking for a "starting" point on the more popular streams. I don't use Landis for finding new secret spots though because they arent exactly secrets if theyre in a book.

Hello,

Delorme map book and tips from fellow anglers , books and the fish and game commision stock list gives ideas of new waters to explore as well...

S,

I use a divining rod.

It's an old South Bend bamboo rod that I hold it lightly in an open palm. It's tip then moves and points toward the nearest brookie stream.

Hasn't failed me in 30 years.

rising fish always
schrec

Back