New Waders on the Market? Grundens GoreTex Pro Full Zip Waders and Vibram Sole Wading Boots

I just switched to Skwala after wearing Orvis for 30 years. My last set of Pros have 3 years on them and the are still in good shape and I fish around 100 days a year. The Skwala waders are built much stronger but the only drawback I have found is the lack of kneepads.
Thanks for adding the 100 days a year detail. I think that is much more important than number of years, which is typically what everyone throws out there. To me, "My Frogg Toggs lasted 5 years" is a nearly meaningless claim unless we know how much you fish, honestly.

I respect Grundens as a brand, but that is not how I shop for things that are an investment. I would wait for someone else to give them the three years at 100+ trips a year test before buying.

Same with those pricey sticks! If your 1000 dollar rod's reputation meets the price, I will give you 600 for it used when you need the next shiny new thing ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for adding the 100 days a year detail. I think that is much more important than number of years, which is typically what everyone throws out there. To me, "My Frogg Toggs lasted 5 years" is a nearly meaningless claim unless we know how much you fish, honestly.

I respect Grundens as a brand, but that is not how I shop for things that are an investment. I would wait for someone else to give them the three years at 100+ trips a year test before buying.

Same with those pricey sticks! If your 1000 dollar rod's reputation meets the price, I will give you 600 for it used when you need the next shiny new thing ;)
I measure all of my gear in days - You can have a pair of boots last 5 years, but if you only wore them 10 days a year thats nothing! You and I seem to think the same, I always wait for the updated rod models to come out and swipe the prior year's for half the price in like new condition!

I've averaged about 50-60 days on
the water per year some years 150+ others less than 40.

Just saw a post from North Country Angler in NH that they would be for sale in May. My guess is this is the first actual production run, as I have a homie who's been testing them for maybe a couple years while the website has been "sold out" or, before that, had no actual specific product specs.

Based on his comments, they were tweaking samples a lot to get fit dialed in. They apparently weren't happy with the early runs

Update on the Skwala waders - I am extremely pleased with them. Warmer, better fitting and therefore more comfortable than my Simms by a long shot. Hopefully they will hold up well - never had good luck with my Simms.

If it eases your mind, I wear stocking foot hippers from Dec - March but I have wet waded already this month... ;)
Shrinkage much?

Shrinkage much?

Reptile eastern box turtle Maryland Joe DiGiovanni 600x300

I just got finished rewatching all the seasons on Netflix, what a great show!

Update on the Skwala waders - I am extremely pleased with them. Warmer, better fitting and therefore more comfortable than my Simms by a long shot. Hopefully they will hold up well - never had good luck with my Simms.
I have the Skwala RS waders. I have only used them for 20 trips so I can’t comment on durability, but I find them far more comfortable than the Simms G3s I used for years. They are far easier to move in, either wading or hiking, than the G3s.

Back