New Waders on the Market? Grundens GoreTex Pro Full Zip Waders and Vibram Sole Wading Boots

I know they make some top notch rain gear. I am not surprised they're getting into waders.
I would expect high quality and obviously a high price tag to go with it.

Based in Sweden. They make durable foul weather gear favored by commercial fisherman, watermen and such. My understanding is it is well made and pricey. No experience with their gear or their waders.

Last edited:
Grundens rain gear and bibs are widely respected amongst off shore commercial fisherman and fisheries professionals for high quality and longevity. Typically those garments are rubberized/pvc and not breathable. This is the first I have seen the company use goretex. I wouldn't hesitate to try them if i was in the market for waders as they appear to be a little cheaper than simms.

Market competition is a good thing.

They are out of stock on every stockingfoot wader they have.....

If you're looking for new waders check out Skwala. I have a few months on mine so far and they're great.

I just got a pair of Skwala and very well made with many thoughtful features. Love them and seem to be superior (to me) than my previous Simms and Patagonias.

I believe they are the only other Goretex wader besides Simms
And some welcome competion

If you're looking for new waders check out Skwala. I have a few months on mine so far and they're great.
I just picked up a pair of Orvis pros which I am happy with so far. Always good to hear a recommendation as I haven't been satisfied with a pair of waders in over a decade.

Dear Board,

I bought a boat, on a trailer, with two good batteries and bow mounted trolling motor for what some people willingly pay for waders. It's dry all the time!

Thank God I'm old, or I would have never thought about going fishing given today's entry cost.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Board,

I bought a boat, on a trailer, with two good batteries and bow mounted trolling motor for what some people willingly pay for waders. It's dry all the time!

Thank God I'm old, or I would have never thought about going fishing given today's entry cost.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I sure hope you don't plan on floating down spring or fishing creek with it!

I believe they are the only other Goretex wader besides Simms
And some welcome competion
Yes. About time some good-olde capitalist competition is seen in the American economy again. Doesn't happen much anymore. See J. P. Morgan.

They have a long history in raingear/bibs and are a respected brand of simple gear for commercial fishermen for decades. I think they have US operations in WA state in addition to overseas origins. As a saltwater fisherman for many years, I would seriously consider them, especially because as others noted they are the only other Gortex brand out there. I think the benefits of Gortex have been discussed to death on here, so I am not going there ;)

$300 for a zipper?

Great company that makes some really good quality foul weather gear. Definitely worth checking out. Be prepared to drop some serious coin on waders and boots. I’m not set on the fact that the flyfishing community can jump start our economy, but we always try like crazy! 😉

Can't buy them as they are sold out.
Perhaps they are having problems making them?

I bought waders from a new company for me, Aquaz. They are well made and rugged so far.

I bought waders from a new company for me, Aquaz. They are well made and rugged so far.
I'm betting you'll be as happy with these as lots of other people's waders. It looks like they are one of those Asian companies that makes waders for all these other fly fishing companies but, as you've heard a lot, they cut out the high-price brand name middle-man. EX: Orvis doesn't make waders, it markets and sells them. No reason a low-cost manufacturer should charge nearly the same or the same as Gore-TEx made-in-America waders. Competition. So rare in the Western Oligopoly that we mistakenly believe has much to do with Adam Smith's ideas in The Wealth of Nations.

I had a pair of aquaz 10-15 years ago. They were good waders, lasted a couple of years, including 1 summer used for work doing unassessed waters surveys. I believe they are a Korean company and also make a lot of milspec waterproof gear. They sent literature about their proprietary membrane that was intended to compete with goretex. I would buy again, but I had trouble finding much availability the other year when looking for waders.

Back