New to Nymphing

Baron wrote:
Martins Creek is a Limestoner! I don't know what that means vs Spring creek but it is a limestone creek.

Generally speaking, when FFers use the term "limestone stream" and "spring creek," these terms mean essentially the same thing.

Be aware, however, that there are many streams named "Spring Creek" (with caps) and this can be confusing for beginners. There is a famous stream in PA named Spring Creek, a limestone stream, in Centre County.

Many streams in PA are something of a hybrid and are often referred to a "limestone influenced" and these streams are not called "spring creeks" because they flow too fast and are too rocky.

Anyway, for purposes of discussion, these terms are usually interchangeable.

Dave I love that Oriele picture. I've watched them picking seeds out of giant thistle in Sutters mill in CA. They eat upside down.

Is the a quick way to remember the difference btwn Limestone and Freestone creeks?

Baron wrote:
Dave I love that Oriele picture. I've watched them picking seeds out of giant thistle in Sutters mill in CA. They eat upside down.

Thanks.

I paint wildlife and FFIng scenes and often rotate these images as my avatar.

Baron wrote:
Is the a quick way to remember the difference btwn Limestone and Freestone creeks?

Limestone streams derive all or much of their flow from water emerging from springs. Freestone streams derive their flow mainly from rain and snow melt run-off. Freestone streams are much more susceptible to flooding, drought in summer, and they freeze in winter whereas limestone streams suffer less from these.

The classic freestone stream is rocky, has fast current and flows through forested terrain with high gradient. An example of a classic freestone stream would be Mountain Creek, shown below.

The classic limestone stream is found in a valley, flows a shorter distance, and is slow and weedy. Classic limestone streams often have water cress growing in them. An example of a classic limestone stream would be Letort Creek, shown below.

Remember, many streams in PA are a bit of a mixture of both types, but, overall, freestone streams are much more common.

Attachments

• Mountain Cr..JPG
    Mountain Cr..JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Letort.JPG
    Letort.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 6
My favorites are Redwing BB, Barn Owl, Magpie and Grackle. They Frequent my normal Hangouts (magpie in CA). The Bald Eagle, Osprey and all other owls are runner-ups with a much more limited range.
Sorry that my favorites are so simple but, Hey, I grew up being the plow and with dairy.
I and a few Neighbors kept Owls as pets when we were kids.

Ah, so Penns Creek is Limestone and Neshaminy or tohicon (above the dam) is afreestone.

Thanks

I have only nymph fished twice and both times were with professional guides out of the Taylor Creek Fly Shop on the Frying Pan River in Colorado.

I did catch trout and that was because I am smart enough to listen to the professionals and do my best to then follow their advise.

We were fishing with 2/3 flies, split shot, and strike indicators. I had fun. My parents have lived in Aspen since since 1984. I love Colorado.

I am signed up for the four person 10/10/2020 Tight Line Nymph Fly Fishing Class with TCO in State College. I am really looking forward to this.

I have the intro-level Orvis Clearwater 10' 3 wt. Euro Nymph combo and it is still virgin until this class. The instructor said it would be perfect for what I am about to learn.

Go get it. Its nice to reach goals.

Fellow board members,

I caught my first trout today on my euro nymph rod/reel combo. No guide to help me. I had to choose the two flies I wanted, do a good job of knot tying, and then getting the perfect drift and presentation.

I either did all of that or I just got lucky, but I netted a very nice 19" rainbow that I know was stocked originally but has been in the water for a while. This made my weekend.

NASCAR drivers always say that it is better to be lucky than good.

I would like to think that I am an improving fly fisherman.

Good for you! Congrats!
I remember my first trout on a nymph (stonefly) on Penns many moons ago. Its a great feeling.

Back