New Sun Glasses help

I haven't read through all of these pages, but if anyone is on the market for a nice pair of polarized sunglasses, I'd recommend trying out a pair of Natives. They're really awesome glasses with all of the bells and whistles that you'd expect, but they also have a warranty program that allows you to always get a brand new pair for about $30.00. As long as you mail the glasses back to them and they can identify them as a pair of Natives, you're getting a new pair. That goes for everything from scratched lenses to the pair that your lawnmower ate. Also, their "plastic" looking ones are actually made of castor beans and will biodegrade within three to five years, if you so happen to lose them on accident.

Native = Costa. They brand their polycarbonate lenses as native eyewear, keeping the costa name for the higher end plastics and glass. Like how Smith brands most of its polycarbonate lenses under the Suncloud name.

Nothing wrong with them, they are fine polarized glasses. High end for polycarbonate, comparable in optics to Oakley, Wiley x, and the like. Really that field is pretty crowded as most name brand sunglasses fit in it. They are injection molded, making them a big step above most drug store cheapies, which are mostly stamped.

But they don't match the optics of the upper end plastic varieties or glass. Whether that improvement is worth the cost of jumping up a level is up to you.

In terms of optics and scratch resistance:

polycarbonate stamped --> polycarbonate injection molded --> injection molded optical plastics (cr39, trivex, etc.) --> glass.

Impact resistance and price go in the opposite direction.

Corl Family Eye Care in Palmyra is where I bought my Costa RX glasses. They were professional in every way and great to deal with. :-D

I thought about having Lasik, but my neighbor had it 8 years ago and needs it again or he is back to wearing glasses. I originally thought that having Lasik once and your done for life. Not the case...

JJZ wrote:
I thought about having Lasik, but my neighbor had it 8 years ago and needs it again or he is back to wearing glasses. I originally thought that having Lasik once and your done for life. Not the case...

I was told that depending on your age and eye conditions that some will need a "tune-up" after the initial surgery, but most are good to go after one, also the surgery itself is much different than it was 8 years ago, I've been looking into it heavily and I believe I will be getting the surgery early next year.

i tend to lose, sit on, drop in the stream...you get the pic...sunglasses annually. Wallyworld!!! polarized clip-ons $10 are my new thing since age has taken my sight (or my arms have shortened) but they have regular 15 dollar polarized sunglasses that work well and are basically disposable. Spend your money on real gear or gas.

Tom,it doesn't get better with age! Cataract surgery for me in March. I hope to lose the glasses afterwards. Question is which implants? Anyone have comments on this?
I use good sun glasses due to the perpetual sunshine here. Look for those that shield the side of your eyes. GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Cataract surgery for me in March. I hope to lose the glasses afterwards. Question is which implants? Anyone have comments on this?

Had to have mine done last June/July. I went with the multi-focal implants. Don’t need glasses at all now, with 20/20 vision both near and far.

Downside: my insurance only covered fixed-focal implants so I had to pay the difference out of pocket. At night bright lights are a bit fuzzy making it hard to read a neon sign for example. For reading you need good lighting and may still need magnifiers for real close work. Overall I’m amazed and happy with the results, but I’ve worn glasses since I was a kid.

Thanks Gone 4 Day. I still have Dr."s visits before and want to ask all my questions up front. They mentioned one eye for near vision and one for distance. Not sure if that would be a good Idea? GG

GG, definitely go with your ophthalmologist’s recommendations, not some fool on the internet. A guy at work did the left/right eye thing 10 years ago with no problem. In my case, I needed such a large correction it wasn’t feasible. It was either correct the myopia and get reading glasses, or go the multi-focal route. YMMV.

Thanks Gone, I will wait and and see. GG

tomgamber wrote:
i tend to lose, sit on, drop in the stream...you get the pic...sunglasses annually. Wallyworld!!! polarized clip-ons $10 are my new thing since age has taken my sight (or my arms have shortened) but they have regular 15 dollar polarized sunglasses that work well and are basically disposable. Spend your money on real gear or gas.

If you don't see the difference between $15.00 glasses and Maui Jims, Costa and other high-end specs, you need glasses.. :-D

I do need glasses. that's why i can't wear those fancy expensive ones. my regular progressive lenses are expensive enough. and i never said i couldn't tell the difference. i just said it was worth the money to me.

To me if I got a limited budget and were just gearing up for the first time, I'd spend premium money on the glasses and go with a cheap rod, reel, fly line and waders. Premium sunglasses increase my fish catching ability more so than premium versions of any other gear. I think they are the most important piece of equipment. And they get more use off the stream too.

To each their own.

I tend to agree...good sunglasses are a must. My problem is I have too many. I have 5 pairs of Smiths, 2 pairs of Costas, 1 pair of Strike King X11 and a few pairs of cheap sunglasses. I have low light ignitors, chroma pop ignitors, chroma pop brown, chroma pop grey/green, carbonic brown/grey/yellow smith polarized, 580 silver mirror, 400 blue mirror, and S11 cloud mirror yellow. I use them all and am wearing a pair of any of them almost 7 days a week. Expensive...yes...but my dad had Fuch's Dystrophy and I want my eyes to be protected.

Sorry tomgamber. I didn't mean for that comment to come-off as a smart-***. I wrote it just to be funny. My apologies if it was taken by you or anybody else as a rude..

Back