New Sun Glasses help

I have the brown lens because the frames I got are "Maple Tort" which seem to all come with brown lenses. The copper lenses are only $40. I think I'll go for that.

Would a grey or the silver reflex lens be a good compliment to the brown? Brown for lower light and grey/silver for brighter?

My point then, is that:

- Your brown lenses are 12% VLT
- Silver Reflex are 10% VLT (gray base, silver mirror)
- Gray are 9.5% VLT

These are all bright sunlight lenses. Picking up the silver or gray would not be a great compliment. While Native's "low light" options are lacking, your best bet would be:

- Copper. 18% VLT.

It still wouldn't be a true low light lens. But 18% is no longer just a "bright sunlight" lens anymore. It's considered more of an "everyday" type lens, meaning suitable in sunny conditions but also ok in somewhat cloudy conditions or under a forest canopy, or mid-morning/early evening. It'd likely become your main lens and then you'd switch to the brown for extremely sunny conditions.

A low light lens is ideally 25%+ VLT. Some push 50%. You physically can't get more than 50% and still claim it's polarized, as by definition, a polarizer cuts out 50% of incoming light. And it's very difficult to actually get 50%. Half the light is of the orientation you are blocking. So the lens would have to be perfectly clear for the other 50% of incoming light, which isn't easy.

If you want a nice alternative to a low light lens without spending a lot of money, look into the Strike King S11 Bristol model in Cloud Mirror. I have a pair to go along with my Smith Low Light Ignitors (which are my favorites for low light/cloudy conditions) and I like them. They retail for around $40 but can be found for less. Just an option. Hope this helps. Thanks!

Got it. The copper lenses are going to be the way to go. I'll make those my everyday lenses. Thanks again, pcray.

Thanks for the tip, Big-Bass. I'll take a look at those, too. Though, I like the idea of just having an extra pair of lenses I can keep in my vest rather than a whole other pair of sunglasses.

I plan on getting Costa based copper (580P) with a silver tint. The sunglasses made for prescription is a Trivex with an aberration of 45. They are essentially speaking a SR-91 lens. All Costa 580P glasses bought without prescription are a polycarbonate. I am buying the best. I had Maui Jim high index prescription lenses that served me well (evolution). Deciding to change-up..

Costa glasses have a VLT of 12%, except it dips down slightly with a mirror coating. I am guessing 11%..

I have a pair of Smith Optics Trace sunglasses that I got a little while back that are essentially brand new. They are a dark tortoise frame (medium to large fit similar to the Backdrop) and include THREE interchangeable polarized lenses. They have brown (amber), grey, and yellow polarized lenses. They are easy to change and come with the case, box, smith sticker, warranty info, etc. The glasses were $149 and the spare grey lens I bought to compliment the brown and yellow was $69. I would if someone was interested let them go for like $125 shipped. Again, they even still have the stickers for the lenses they are that brand new.

Just got the Costa Loreto progressive prescription sunglasses. It is made with a trivex lens and is silver mirrored. The silver mirror is muted and doesn't allow a silver flash to be seen, at least in the Rx version. In the couple days that I've worn them, they are of high quality and fit the bill. Crisp optics, light weight, comfortable to wear and perfect for fishing. I have owned Maui Jims prescription in the past and honestly feel that these are as high quality as Mauis. Not trying to persuade anybody one over the other, but just giving an unbiased user opinion of both. I will say, that Costa frames seem to fit better for me and that was the reason for me switching. Im very pleased and plan to put these glasses on the water Thursday brook trout fishing...

Oakley is currently doing some pretty cool stuff with polarization technology. I met one of their factory reps at the Little League World Series this past summer and they had a lot of their polarized lenses there to try on. I had a pair of their lenses from 10 years ago and they didn't compare to my current Smiths, but their new lenses are pretty good.

All Costa 580P glasses bought without prescription are a polycarbonate.

That's not true. Costa's "P" lenses are CR39. P for plastic, not polycarbonate. CR39 is another variety of "advanced plastic", like Trivex. I don't know whether the prescriptions are true Trivex or also CR39, wouldn't surprise me either way.

Costa doesn't make a polycarbonate lens. Well, they do. They just don't brand them Costa. They brand them under the Native Eyewear line.

MJ does brand all it's lenses MJ, including the polycarbonate, Trivex clones (MauiPure, MauiEvolution, and MauiBrilliant), and glass. So you gotta pay attention to the material.

Smith does have Smith branded polycarbonate (they call it carbonic). But that's mainly in goggles. For the most part, their polycarbonate line is branded "SunCloud". The Trivex clones are Smith branded under the ChromaPop+ moniker. And of course they make glass too.

So, proper comparisons:

MJ polycarbonate vs. Smith Carbonic and SunCloud vs. Native Eyewear (Costa) vs. Oakley.

MJ Mauiwhatever vs. Smith Chromapop+ vs. Costa 400P and 580P vs. Kaenon

MJ SuperThin Glass vs. Smith Techlite Glass vs. Costa 400P and 580P.

Costas are Trivex in prescription.

Call me crazy, but the excitement over these new prescription Costa glasses has not left me. Wearing these for an extended time, I feel these are the best sun glasses I have ever worn. While brook trout fishing, these glasses enabled me to see clearly into the water and see fish, even on cloud covered hazy cold days. The best advice to any angler given IMO, is to not undercut your choice in selecting quality polarized glasses for fishing. They enable you to see clearer and become more aware of what perhaps you weren't seeing. From the frames to the lens material, these Costas rock!

In terms of pure fish catching, they are the most important piece of equipment. I.e. going to a high quality pair of shades will catch you more fish than upgrading a rod, fly line, or pair of waders.

What do you guys that wear glasses use? My glasses cost 400 bucks so I am not getting prescription sunglasses. I use Fitovers and they work well but unfortunately scratch easily. I use the yellow lenses that are great for shady mountain streams which is what I fish the most.

That sucks. Well, a pair of non prescription sunglasses with glass lenses is typically above $200. Prescription sunnies can go $500 to $900, really, and most are kind of locked into plastic lens options. It is what it is. Insurance should pay for some, but not all.

Obviously, prescription sunnies are the best solution. But fitovers are ok. All that I know about are polycarbonate, so yeah, this isn't gonna be the pinnacle of optics, and they are gonna scratch easy. Cocoons are a decent product.

I tried contacts to lessen the overall cost of prescription sunglasses and the hassle of carrying two pair of glasses. I was informed that I have monovision and the task of truly seeing better at all distances would be better suited to glasses. Some people learn to adapt better with the dominate eye than others. I surely didn't! I wore the contacts for ten days and my vision wasn't as nearly acute as it is with glasses. Its glass for me...

Not using sunglasses as the reason, but overall, if your doctor says you are a good candidate, Lasik isn't all that expensive.

I've considered it but I am a good contact wearer. I do the every 30 day ones so it's not much of a hassle. But if I couldn't wear these and had to change them nightly, or was locked into glasses, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Everyone I know that had it done is happy with it. Bit of a recovery period for some but it ends up well.

JJZ, who did you have grind the lenses for you?
I tried getting polarized glasses from my eye care provider - after 4 pairs being sent back, I had to settle with a pair of non polarized glasses and went back to contacts.
Thanks.

I am selling a pair of brand new Smith Optics Polarchromic Techlite Glass Ignitors in the Tenet frame on the swap/sell if anyone is interested. They might fit someone's budget for a great deal on an awesome lens. Just saying...

Back