New leader time.

afishinado wrote:
Pliobond remains soft, but Knotsense hardens. I've experimented with using a dab of clear silicone bathtub seal. I just spread a little bit on the windings with a toothpick. I remains soft and pliable, and floats rather well. Give it a try.

I'd been suggested using hot glue, and for awhile kept a stick and a lighter in my bag 'o stuff (if you burn it, it just drips down). This worked, but left weird, ugly lumps of brown rubbery crap and I had a hard time getting it to shape.

I gave up on that, like so many other things.

I found a tube of aquarium sealant the other day, the thought popped into my head, and was lost.

acristickid wrote:
Never tried a furled leader yet. Maybe I will leave that one on my dry fly rod. That is meant for dries, correct?

I like reading abotu the old ways, and was reading on silk lines the other day.

Silk was more supple, and laid down gentler than the plastic stuff we've got. It seems to be a reasonable belief that alot of people who started with furled leaders did so in a way to try and emulate the way that silk lines would lay out. A furled leader can do that better than tapered mono can.

Or, that's what I've read, and I buy it.

Try one of Afish's twisted leaders on your light rod. I was able to easily see the hinge point provided by the 3" piece of 20# amnesia between the 3DT Sylk line I had on and the hand-twisted/furled leader I had made. That's why I replaced the Amnesia with a 4" piece of furled leader. It is that much better, and you'll be surprised at how light your line falls to the surface. I believe I stated in my post it was like an Angel taking a dump. :)

gfen wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Pliobond remains soft, but Knotsense hardens. I've experimented with using a dab of clear silicone bathtub seal. I just spread a little bit on the windings with a toothpick. I remains soft and pliable, and floats rather well. Give it a try.

I'd been suggested using hot glue, and for awhile kept a stick and a lighter in my bag 'o stuff (if you burn it, it just drips down). This worked, but left weird, ugly lumps of brown rubbery crap and I had a hard time getting it to shape.

I gave up on that, like so many other things.

I found a tube of aquarium sealant the other day, [color=FF0000]the thought popped into my head, and was lost.[/color]

If you carried around a notepad and pencil, or a digital voice recorder......everyone would call you a genius... ;-)

I've often said if I could somehow be put into a permanent state reminescent of those moments when I first get up and stand in a hot shower in the morning, I could solve the world's problems.

Plato's got nothing on my philosophy for those few moments.

Except I'd be water logged and crabby when I was done.

"Sometimes in the middle of the night, I think of something that's funny, then I go get a pen and I write it down. Or if the pen's too far away, I have to convince myself that what I thought of ain't funny."

-Mitch Hedberg

I don't think I would ever cut the factory welded loop off.

If your looking for an indicator, just wrap at the base of the welded loop and finish. A lot less work, for almost the same result.

It's not really for the indicator aspect. As I said before, the welded loops fall apart for me.

I have used Rio lines with them with bad results. I currently have a cortland. I'll leave the loop to see if it happens again.

I use rio too, and have never had the weld come apart, but I have on a cortland. Well, not the weld, but the little yellow piece that covers the weld (not found on rio).

I would nevedr make one of those furled leader deals- I am too ADD.

I am too, but the leaders only take 5 minutes. It's really not bad at all.

Pros and cons....
Perfection loop vs surgeons loop?

Surgeons loop seem to be a whole lot easier to tie....

Perfection loop lays straighter and seems stronger, takes me the same time.

Sometimes though its better, like making a cast of wet flies quickly.

Personally I like a nail knot. If you get one of those pointy nail knot tools you can tie one really easily in about 30 seconds. To avoid having to clip the end of my fly line I just use the clippers to cut the leader where it wraps around the fly line, then when tying on the new leader, I keep the nail knot just slightly loose and tie it up farther on the fly line, then slip it down just to the end of the line, tighten it up, clip the tag end of the leader and I am good to go. I used to use a surgeon's loop on the end of my fly line, but I got tired of it hanging up in the guides, so I learned to tie a nail knot.

Back