New Hip

Wbranch, Good luck with the surgery. Anterior is definitely the way to go. As "Ace" said, if I didn't see the scar I wouldn't know I had it done. I had mine done in 2015 and have never felt better. In fact I still referee football without any issues. Do the therapy as prescribed and you'll do fine. Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Please send me a PM when your recovered and I will meet up with you with my 72 year old butt. Seriously.
That sounds like a great idea.

Wbranch, Good luck with the surgery. Anterior is definitely the way to go. As "Ace" said, if I didn't see the scar I wouldn't know I had it done. I had mine done in 2015 and have never felt better. In fact I still referee football without any issues. Do the therapy as prescribed and you'll do fine. Lou
I've already scheduled my first three PT visits. I'm having my surgery and PT performed at OSS in York. I had my left hip done there in 2013 and was very satisfied.

Good luck. Maybe write us a story during your convalescence.

To all my PAflyfish forum friends with whom I've chatted over the past decade I'm having right hip replacement surgery on November 07. I'm hoping to be in better physical condition than I have been since 2017. More fishing, no pain, pretty good for a guy knocking on the door of 80 years old.
Best of luck and vest wishes for a speedy recovery!

Ok you old farts, what signs did you experience when the hip went bad?

I've been having horrible pelvic pain. Suffered a bout of it 20+ years ago. Feels like both groins are pulled and pain during sneezing/coughing. Figured it was a possible hernia. Squeezing knees together results in loud pop right behind public area. After a couple of pops, the pain subsides.

Family doc told me it was osteitis pubis which is basically the split in the pelvis behind your 'junk'. It's debilitating pain and don't know that there's anything that can be done. Lots of grinding and clicking in the hips after sitting for long time. Any thoughts?

At 56, should probably stop playing soccer in men's 40+ league 😁. I wanted to make it to 60 before I used a motor on the boat or quit playing soccer

Ah, the public area

It sounds horrible. Get your PCP to give you a refillable script for Tramadol. I've been using it since mid May. I typically take one 100 mg tablet three times a day. Not habit forming if taken as prescribed. Definitely will diminish your level of pain.

I'll have to look into that. My doctor just retired so I don't have one currently.

I'll have to look into that. My doctor just retired so I don't have one currently.
Krayfish, First off, an MRI revealed arthritis. The top of the femur was all rough and black. When I walked I sounded like a peppermill being ground. Finally, the pain became so excruciating I wouldn't even walk to get the mail which was 47' from the front door. That's when I knew I had to get it replaced. Lou

Krayfish, First off, an MRI revealed arthritis. The top of the femur was all rough and black. When I walked I sounded like a peppermill being ground. Finally, the pain became so excruciating I wouldn't even walk to get the mail which was 47' from the front door. That's when I knew I had to get it replaced. Lou
Sounds like something I won't be looking forward to. Sounds horrible

The time will come that the pain will be a steady 9-10 anytime you have to walk even just a few steps. I was up in Erie steelhead fishing when the hip finally totally gave up. It took me an hour to walk the 150' back to the car.

I wanted to give all my Forum friends an update on my health situation. As I had mentioned in my prior post I was scheduled to have hip replacement surgery on November 11th.

Well as it turned out the surgery was canceled because during an echocardigram (a test I needed before the hip surgery could be performed) it was learned that a mild heart murmur I had in 2017 was now much worse. The cardiologist told me I have "Severe Aortic Stenosis". My aortic valve is just worn out and is only functioning at about 50% of normal.

I've since learned that 90% of men 75 and older have some degree of aortic stenosis. So on January 10 I am having a procedure to place an organic aortic valve into my heart. I've got some anxiety about this because I'm no spring chicken and due to my age and prior medical history am not a candidate to have my chest cracked open to insert the new valve.

I've got plans for a lot more fishing before I am no longer able to row! If all goes well I should be back on track to have my hip replacement surgery by May. I will be on an anticoagulant for 4 - 6 months during which time no invasive procedures can be performed. I'll be looking for a retired guy who loves to fish as much as I do to float with me, split the shuttle fee, and help me launch the Hyde and get it back on the trailer at the end of the float.

'll be looking for a retired guy who loves to fish as much as I do to float with me, split the shuttle fee, and help me launch the Hyde and get it back on the trailer at the end of the float.
Matt,
I hope all goes well for you with the surgeries.

I’d be happy to be that retired guy to fish with you when our schedules connect. I plan to be up on the D even more next year.

Be well!!!

I too have had both hips replaced. Worked great for pain relief. You will lose some of your flexibility, at least, I have.

I wanted to give all my Forum friends an update on my health situation. As I had mentioned in my prior post I was scheduled to have hip replacement surgery on November 11th.

Well as it turned out the surgery was canceled because during an echocardigram (a test I needed before the hip surgery could be performed) it was learned that a mild heart murmur I had in 2017 was now much worse. The cardiologist told me I have "Severe Aortic Stenosis". My aortic valve is just worn out and is only functioning at about 50% of normal.

I've since learned that 90% of men 75 and older have some degree of aortic stenosis. So on January 10 I am having a procedure to place an organic aortic valve into my heart. I've got some anxiety about this because I'm no spring chicken and due to my age and prior medical history am not a candidate to have my chest cracked open to insert the new valve.

I've got plans for a lot more fishing before I am no longer able to row! If all goes well I should be back on track to have my hip replacement surgery by May. I will be on an anticoagulant for 4 - 6 months during which time no invasive procedures can be performed. I'll be looking for a retired guy who loves to fish as much as I do to float with me, split the shuttle fee, and help me launch the Hyde and get it back on the trailer at the end of the float.
Good luck with your valve replacement, you will very likely feel better doing strenuous activity after being cleared to do so post replacement by your doctor.

Good luck Matt and prayers for a speedy recovery. I love your attitude to keep fishing and I hope I can follow your example. 2022 was worst year ever in regards to getting out for me and I am aiming to change that !!

Back