New Hip

wbranch

wbranch

To all my PAflyfish forum friends with whom I've chatted over the past decade I'm having right hip replacement surgery on November 07. I'm hoping to be in better physical condition than I have been since 2017. More fishing, no pain, pretty good for a guy knocking on the door of 80 years old.

Good luck and you'll be out there again before you know it.

I hope your surgery is a complete success and you are back to fishing. My Lysfranc foot injury has shut down the month of October. Hopefully, I get good news from the doctor on 11/08 after the X-Ray and MRI.

Best wishes for a better than full recovery! I worked in ortho (knees, hips, feet) and I can tell you that the vast majority of patients experience a significant improvement in quality of life post-recovery.

A word of advice: select a surgeon who is skilled in minimally invasive anterior approach total hip replacement. The recovery time is WAY shorter due to minimal soft tissue damaged by the procedure.

Best wishes wbranch. Everybody I know who had this procedure did not regret it.

Hello Fly,

"A word of advice: select a surgeon who is skilled in minimally invasive anterior approach total hip replacement. The recovery time is WAY shorter due to minimal soft tissue damaged by the procedure."

It is interesting that you recommended the anterior approach. I had my left hip replaced in December 2013 and the surgeon performed that exact procedure. My range of motion was dramatically improved and I can still cross my left leg over my right with no problem. I had PT come to my home and after just two weeks they told me my progress and healing was so good that no further PT was required. I'm having that same surgeon preform the surgery. If anyone wants to know who it is PM me.

WB,

Good luck. I hope this fixes the problem and that you're back on the water quickly.

best wishes to you, and hope everything goes well. a co worker just had his hip worked on. he was out of work for 2.5 months. but now feels great and is walking around like nothing even happened. tight lines.

Best wishes wbranch! I had the exact procedure done in 2018. No problems at all. Like me, You will wish you had done it sooner!

Best wishes WB. I hope to meet and fish with you next year. I think of you every time I fish the caddis that you sent me feathers for, and when I put on those waders I bought from you. Be well!!!

My boss had it done a week ago. He's doing great and is getting around the pretty nicely already. He's around 70.

Good luck and have a speedy recovery.

To all my PAflyfish forum friends with whom I've chatted over the past decade I'm having right hip replacement surgery on November 07. I'm hoping to be in better physical condition than I have been since 2017. More fishing, no pain, pretty good for a guy knocking on the door of 80 years old.
Good luck! Hoping you crushing fish on the D in no time.

Had both done with that procedure 2 years apart.....wouldn't know it if not for the scars. Was hitting golf balls 2 weeks after. Hope it goes as well for you!

Good luck, WB.

Hi, from a 52 year old who has had both hips replaced. It'll never be as good as a natural hip, but I wade where I want, usually. After 3 or 4 weeks, you should be pretty ambulatory without fear, assistance or anything. In 3 weeks, I was fishing , standing, out of my kayak, but I was 47 then.
Good luck. It'll be better in a few weeks.

Please send me a PM when your recovered and I will meet up with you with my 72 year old butt. Seriously.

Back