New fly swap signup - due Sept. 19

check your PMs, jaybo.

Got them Jack, thanks.

You have mail :cool:

Hey all,

I already told DJ about this, but I ran out of materials while tying mine last minute. I've subbed the caterpillar with a firefly. It's a neat little pattern, so don't be too mad at me! :p

I didn't include a copy of the tying instructions for everyone, so here they are.

http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~jal63/firefly.txt

I received my flies last night, some very nice looking flies for sure. Cant wait to get out and use them but archery is starting up this weekend. I just started tying this spring and the ant I tied is the only one I know besides a foam beetle, I hope to be able to tie like you guys at some point. Overall it was a good experience and cant wait for the next swap.

I totally agree!! The flies that everyone submitted made me jealous of their tying ability. I just started this summer too and am hoping there are more swaps soon to stretch my abilities and to see what everyone else fishes with. Who's ready for another swap! :lol: :-D :lol:

PennsCreek wrote:
... but archery is starting up this weekend. .

Thats good to know thanks..looks liek its flame orange hat time again...

Got my flies today. Well done, guys.

Got mine today as well. There are some very nice tyes, can't wait to give them a shot. :cool:

Mine arrived today as well. Great looking flies! Thanks everyone!

I'm heading for central PA tomorrow to try them out.

Received my flys today and was very impressed with everyones tying. My wife said the house fly looked real.

This was a great swap! The flies are really good. Thanks everyone! A toast to my fellow tiers. :pint:

Also, a toast to our Host! :pint:

Yep, good stuff fom everyone. Not going to fish the ones I got , but I'll use them for ref. later and tie some others up. Thanks to everybody.

Yep, they look great. Are the patterns available?

Here is the link to the page for the swap:

Summer 2007 Swap

At least one of the patterns is missing a recipe which will hopefully be supplemented soon.

In the next few days, I'll try to get the flies integrated into the Master Index Page. If anyone notices any errors, ommissions, formatting issues, etc., let me know.

Nice job on the flies folks!

Jack---thanks for updating the page it looks great! I'm not sure if it was you or DJMyers that took the pictures, but thanks to whomever is responsible. I looked at the flys again tonight and they really look awesome. Seeing them on the swap page was VERY cool! Everyone really did a nice job with the tying, thanks to all of you who joined and thanks for having me in the swap DJ :cool:

By the way, I've used the cricket I tied recently and pounded on the sunnies with it, so I know it will produce at least for them. The weather hasn't cooperated and allowed me to get out for trout yet, so I'm anxious to hear from all of you how it works.

Again, nice job guys!

Thanks JackM for posting the link. I just didn't get around to it yesterday. I hope everyone lets us know when they fish with the flies and lets us know how they did with them!! I don't get to fish much but love hearing about how people do with flies I tied. Also if you have any suggestions on how to make my flies better please let me know. Being a beginner tyier I need all the help I can get.

Now that everyone has had a chance to look or even fish the flies from the swap, I was wondering if there is anything you would recommend me doing to make my foam beetle better.

If you fished any of the flies and had some success I would love to hear about which fly you used and how it went.

Thanks
:-D :-D :-D

dj.

It was a good pattern. I tie mine exactly the same, just without legs and the orange part usually. Yours looks better with those additions. I have always caught the same amount of fish with or without legs, so I omit them even though it's less pleasing to look at.

I'd keep doin it that way if I were you.

Back