New fly swap signup - due Sept. 19

I'm on the fence with this one for two reasons.

1. I'm concerned that my ties aren't going to be of the same quality as the rest of the tiers. I'm not a newbie at tying, but I'm self taught and don't want to send anyone junk, compared to everyone else's abilities. That's not cool.

2. I've not tied a lot of terrestrials and it looks like most of the ties that I could handle are covered. Any suggestions on what you guys might like given an average tying level?

Also, this would be my first swap, which I'm not really worried about because this is a forum loaded with good guys :-D

Big concern for me like I've said is my quality compared to all of yours. I'm not bad, but I'm not a pro. I do ok though.

all skill levels welcome. i've been trying for a few years but i bet your stuff is no better. just send em in!

I agree, send em in. I just started tying and so don't expect fabulous things from me. I actually look at it too that it is a chance to challenge yourself to tie something that you are not an expert at. You have to tie a dozen so it gives you a chance to try and perfect some things.

There are still a lot of things, different hopper patterns, inch worm patterns, and others. Just google "Terrestrial Patterns" and see what you can find that you would be comfortable tying.

Ok, I'm convinced. I'm in. I'll be tying a Disco Cricket :cool:

I am in....and will be tying a beetle pattern. I may have over looked this in the posts, but are we including one fly per tier for our moderator, dkile? Also, I would suggest we tie an extra fly for JackM, in the past he has taken the photos and posted the flies on this site. If JackM will do that again, I would like to provide him a set of the flies.

There's no need to tie for me. Tie for Dave as he makes this all possible. I won't be in on this one, so I can't take pictures, but if someone takes photos and collects the recipes (in electronic format so I can cut n' paste) I would be happy to add a page to our fly swap pages for this swap.

I say let's tie one for all the mods, these guys do a great job keeping this forum going smoothly. That includes you Jack! Plus one for Dave for giving us all a great place on the net to congregate :-D

Anyone else agree?

Although we can't bribe JackM to be our photographer ($$$$) :pint:

Is there any one in the swap that can take the photos? I have tried the photo thing over and over again, they never turn our well. Photoshop can't even correct my pictures.

I really like the swap page as a reference. Once you fish someone flies...if they work...I can go back the to swap page and tie one on!

If no one can take pictures, you will have no choice but to send me a set. I am not refusing to photograph them, but would rather not if someone else is capable. The key to getting good pictures (and I'm not saying the ones I took are good, but they are OK):

1. Plenty of light;
2. A background;
3. No shadow on the background;
4. A tripod to keep camera absolutely still;
5. Of course, proper focus.

I hope to be able to take the photos. Hopefully I can get a good picture of them. I will also gather the recipes when everyone sends their flies. If there is anyway for me to upload the photos and recipes I don't mind but if not I will send them over to you JackM.

haha. Glad i could help to convince you with my incoherent friday night post!

I doesn't make any sense, but I meant to say mine would be no better than yours when it comes down to it.

JayL between your post and dj's I figured I should be good. Besides, I've been on the board for a few years and haven't posted much until more recently so I thought this would be a good way to interact with othe members. Not to mention, it will help my tying skills.

Thanks again for the incoherent encoragement lol. :cool:

Mine went out in the mail today.

DJMyers - Foam Beetle
JayL - Caterpillar
Bruno - Devil Bug
Albatross - Drunk Humpies
Plumbob - House Fly
Ian_Brown - Parachute Ant
StudentOfTheStream - Hopper ?
FlyFishermanJ - Michagen Skunks
BuckBarrett - Bumble Bees
Jaybo41 - Disco Cricket
FlyDog - Beetle

We have one spot open yet. Thanks to all who signed up this weekend! :-D

I also am new to tying but with all the recent posts this weekend I have decided to give it a try with a foam ant

djmyers- if it would help you out I could take the photos, just wouldn't be able to do it until the end of Sept. Will be out west on the fourteenth.

The swap is now closed. Thanks for everyone signing up!!!! Will be looking forward to seeing everyone's flies!!!!

I need FlyDog and BuckBarret to pm with your email address so that I can keep you up to date on the swap info.

E-mail for buckbarrett
worldbeat@basicisp.net or terry@terrybarrettband.com

Flys went out today, you should have them Monday or Tuesday.
:cool:

I have the recipie done in a MS Word Doc, is that format ok, or would you just prefer I copy it and put it directly in an email?

Back