New fly line connections

Please elaborate on the super glue connection, the nail knots on my euro leader are constantly catching in my tip-top

If you coat the nail knot it will slide easily through tip top guide. Pliobond or Knotsense. Works great.

That the info I was hoping to hear.

larkmark wrote:
If you coat the nail knot it will slide easily through tip top guide. Pliobond or Knotsense. Works great.

I prefer to nail knot the leader to the fly line.

Out of laziness I'll skip this and use the loop to loop connection. The loop will create a hinge and cause odd energy transfer to the leader. I've also had welded loops break, as have fishing buddies, all on Rio lines.

Never had a loop fail ever...just more .02 to the conversation.....

Baron wrote:
I don't have access to UV and am wondering if anyone has used e6000.

Often when using longer leaders, such as 9' and 2-3' to tippet on a 7.5' rod, I am constantly forgetting and pull the knot through the TipTop. Even the nicest nail knot won't go back out without manipulation.

You can get a UV light for under $10. Also other brands of UV resin at much lower prices than Loon. UV adhesives are useful for a lot of fly fishing and tying. You should consider it.

Per the OP, I never had a loop fail on a name brand fly line. I use both loop to loop and nail knots with UV coating. Both work well. I just go with whatever the line has to start with.

This is a link for the super glue splice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLQbaYOQ2nA

BTW, I had line cracking issues in my needle knot days as well. I think it may have been more due to older coatings. Fly line coatings seem to last much longer these days.

BrookieChaser wrote:

Out of laziness I'll skip this and use the loop to loop connection. The loop will create a hinge and cause odd energy transfer to the leader. I've also had welded loops break, as have fishing buddies, all on Rio lines.

Interesting point on Rio lines.

I've never had a welded loop fail.
But I've never used Rio lines either
Maybe something telling there?

dryflyguy wrote:
BrookieChaser wrote:

Interesting point on Rio lines.

I've never had a welded loop fail.
But I've never used Rio lines either
Maybe something telling there?

Lots of interesting viewpoints, feedback, opinions and much experience shared on this thread. I really like Rio lines and have used them in many different setups for decades. I haven’t had one fail either, since I started cutting the welded loops off of them immediately after I take it out of the box. That was pretty much my point in the first two sentences of my OP. This thread has been a great example of how folks become very confident in a system that has worked well for them. That’s one thing that makes flyfishing really cool!

I don't use Rio lines anymore. I have had several fail and was able to return them and they failed too. I had them crack and also had outer coating strip away from inner line on one.

To be honest I prefer the nail knot attachment but I am also too lazy to do the procedure sometimes and just use the welded loop. I have one on my rod at the moment and it is working fine.

I had my last Rio weld break a few years ago after 10-20 outings. Emailed Rio and they sent me a new fly line. Pretty sure they know they have an issue. I haven't purchased Rio since.

I've been using the nail knot to 12" or so of butt material and then a loop to loop set up for a long, long time and have always been satisfied with it. But if a new line comes with a welded loop, I'll use that instead and thus far have never had one fail.

Like several of the previous posters, I've had quality issues with Rio lines in general. Or perhaps better put, consistency issues, far more than any other popular brand. I never know which new Rio line is going to last and which one is going to check, crack and otherwise decompose after only 100 hours of use. I've had them at both extremes and that makes me anxious and I'm already anxious enough as is..:) So, I tend to avoid buying Rio lines any more...

Those of you who nail knot a butt section to the end of your line, do you use mono or flouro? With mono being susceptible to UV damage, would you replace it every year, or does it not matter due to the weight of the mono used?
Thx

I use mono, but I'm kinda cheap and set in my ways..

Regarding mono and UV damage/deterioration, I've never worried about this at the diameters I use, usually .018 to .020 for a 5-wgt line. I've never had one break or give out. Another consideration here is that I'm pretty tough on my trout lines and usually end up replacing them long before any UV damage could occur to the looped butt section. Two years at most..

I also use mono for my “mono” loop connector. I tie a brand new one on all of my lines at the beginning of the next season.

When I started I used those Cortland finger trap style connectors and they seemed to work pretty well. Then, Not sure why, I got away from them. Probably couldn't find them. Anyway, I was tying a loop into the end of any fly line that didn't come with one. No problem either. On one line I spliced a loop back into itself and wrapped it and that worked fine too. I think I have a factory loop on the end right now. Honestly I didn't pay for either of the last two lines I've used. Won a sharkskin line and then got a Scientific Anglers for free with either a subscription or TU dues a few years ago. What I have found is that the UV/knot sense stuff makes it easy to make the knot on any connection a smooth tapered connection that will give you easy guide slide. Don't over think it.

+1 as to welded loops never failing. Could be I never catch those monsters.

Sorry, welded loops simply don't fail.

So I use what's there. If it has a welded loop, I'll use it. I havn't had one fail. I primarily fish a euro rig and use the specialty lines that do not have a loop. In those cases I'll nail knot for the braid core lines and if the it is a mono core line I'll strip the coating and use a blood knot. I prefer mono core lines for most of the season. Braid core I only use in cold temps.

Back