Never Fishing Here Again

The electrofishing survey there around 2016 documented a low density wild ST population, which was what was expected based on the habitat (with or without sediment) and flow. I didn’t feel that the population was any worse than it should have been given the habitat limitations/stream size/gradient/flow. The population was typical for those conditions.

Last edited:
The electrofishing survey there around 2016 documented a low density wild ST population, which was what was expected based on the habitat (with or without sediment) and flow. I didn’t feel that the population was any worse than it should have been given the habitat limitations/stream size/gradient/flow. The population was typical for those conditions.

Are those findings available anywhere? The gravel up top looked nice but its super skinny up there. The hole where I caught a 10-incher years ago still looked good. The bottom definitely has sedimentation. Hopefully the logging in the headwaters is a thing of the past.

So does low density mean it doesn't even get a classification?

There is a short report.

I’ve always assumed (never verified) that “low density” in PFBC speak means Class D. Mike - Can you verify this?

In some of their published available survey reports where they survey multiple streams, they separately designate the Class A/B/C streams as such, but don’t label anything as Class D, just “low density”.

For example…SWPA Survey Report

In my language low density would be Class D and the bottom of the Class C’s, since the bottom probably fluctuates between D and C. There was never any official definition.

In my language low density would be Class D and the bottom of the Class C’s, since the bottom probably fluctuates between D and C. There was never any official definition.

Thanks Mike.

I will be using the same title for this post when I type up my report on an outing to the Yellow Breeches.

Always good to respect your Elders.

(I said the same thing last time I fished there. And haven’t been back.)

About halfway up I found a frying pan hanging in a tree and an empty gallon jug of peanut oil at the base of the tree. That stream is barely capable of producing a legal sized fish. I guess they were cooking up some Gemmie fries. Mmmmm tasty Gemmies.
I remember years ago one of our local buds fished up there and came across guys fryin' them up.

Impression I got was Teens, maybe into their early 20s. This woulda been probably 6 years ago now.
I just cannot believe there are enough in there to hold a fish fry. Biggest one 1 ever caught was maybe 10 and most of the others were fingerling size.

I just cannot believe there are enough in there to hold a fish fry. Biggest one 1 ever caught was maybe 10 and most of the others were fingerling size.

Yeah. I’ve never caught a legal sized fish from it. I did spook a big one once, 10” or so, though it was probably 10 years ago, or more.

I never caught anyone red handed, just saw the remnants. But my guess is if you’re keeping fish out of there, they’re gonna be sublegal fish.

Gut em’, n fry em’ whole.

Back