Nets - your opinion?

You can get this net at Wally World for $20. It's the net I currently use and it works well. I had a deeper Frabil, but streamlined all my equipment and this doesn't stick out as far (which equals less snags while navigating the stream banks). Nets are nice and great way to reduce handling the fish. As mentioned, don't forget a magnetic net release or some other means of securing your net so that it doesn't go amongst the missing!

kbobb wrote:

BTW for those that carry the net on their back - does your back get wet from the wet net after use?

Thanks much
Just give it a good shake or two and all will be well. It's not really an issue with chest waders on.

I carry my net n my back without a problem, Just give the net a good shake or two before replacing it as lv2nymph stated.

I did'nt carry a net for quite a while as I did'nt feel I needed it. Then I hooked my biggest brook trout ever (18 1/2"). I caught the fish but a net would have come in real handy in that situation. I carry a net now even though I very seldom use it. I wear it in the middle of my back and it's attached with magnets. I really don't even notice it there.

I broke my cheap-o mesh net last season, and upgraded to a Brodin Phantom net, frying pan size.

I haven't testing it out for a day's fishing yet, but it doesn't SEEM to be too heavy, but it is much larger than what I thought I would be getting. For your average trout around here, you could get away with the Trout size net they offer. Just my two cents.

Back