Nets - your opinion?

K

kbobb

Hi
Thinking about getting a landing net - particularly the "ghost bag" type. Have limited experience with nets - generally thought they were an extra nuisance but want to handle fish less and keep them in the water more. With a larger fly it's easy to grab the barbless fly and remove it without taking the fish out of water. However lately with little flies (18 - 20) its hard to just grab the fly and generally I have to hold the fish while removing these small flies.
Before dropping $80 on a net wanted to get a feel of the general opinion of the pros and cons of carrying a net for normal trout fishing.

Thanks a lot

I'd highly recommend a landing net (although you should be able to get something very nice and functional for under $80).

Personally, I don't care for the shallow bag "catch and release" nets. I usually use my net if I want to photograph a fish and prefer a deep, soft mesh bag. This deep bag will allow you to keep the fish submerged while you fiddle with a camera or wait for a buddy to get down and join you. C&R nets aren't well suited for this as the fish can flip out. The big clear mesh type bags have become very popular in recent years and don't get hooks tangled in them as much.
Just my 2 cents on the topic.

I purchased a Brodin trout bum net with the clear bag.I enjoy using it until it fell out of the boat after netting a fish for Shane . it sank like a stone but its lighter than the wooden thats and has a larger hoop . they are also cheaper . after using a rubber bag I'll never go back to a standard net . EGO makes a wading that that floats . they are around 55 bucks same as the trout bum nets

I kinda think the landing net is more of a hassle....your fly line can get all tangled up in it and cause more problems than it's worth. Maybe I shoud learn to carry mine on my back vs my side. nets also loves tree branches etc. when it's on your side.

Iv'e learned to wet my hands before handling the fish and then remove the hook. Photos are not of my concern, although alot of family members will tell me that If I don't have photos I didn't catch it.

Chuckle.....think of it as a donation to the Delaware trout gods. You will be rewarded this season for that.

Topic....I feel nets are a must. I have a cheaper wooden plastic bag one, think it cost me $30. I to will never go back to a mesh bag. I actually purchased a Brodin ghost net for a custom net that I have a family friend carving for me right now.

I have a regular mesh net, nothings wrong with it so I'm gonna keep using it instead of getting a rubber one. If you do start carrying one get the connector that has magnets on both ends of the cord, one on the net the other on your vest. I carry mine on my back.Very easy to reconnect. Nets tend to catch on bushes and briars when walking the bank, but if you're mindfull of it it's not to bad. When you catch a large fish you'll be glad you have one. I carry it most of the time when I go out, but not when chasing brookies, that to me would be an effort in frustration.

For the kind of trout fishing I do a net isn't really practical, or needed. Wild freestone trout only get so big. It's just something else to get snagged on brush going through tight areas, and that is often.

Agree with FI, nets are an essential part of your gear if you're into taking photos.

When i was younger, i felt a net was just extra weight. That was until one day fishing tricos on Big Spring when a 22" brown took my fly and proceeded to dive into a cress bed paralleling the stream channel. After several minutes of trying to evaluate my options on a 7X tippet, my buddy shows up and hands me his net. I mudt have given him a stupid look so he took the net and placed it over the opening into the cress bed created by the fleeing brown. Now on to the plan, I stuck my foot straight down into the bed causing one very hot brown to slam into the net.

Don't go anywhere without one since that day. Currently carrying a Brodin ghost cutthroat. Also have the longer handed float tube model. Highly recommended.

I have a net, been hanging on the wall for 30 years! never used it.

I don't carry a net I just keep the fish in the water.

I need the net to keep score... If I land the fish in the net, even if it jumps out a second later, I consider that fish landed!

If you are fishing for wild trout the best way to prevent accidental mortality is to land the trout quickly and not over play the fish, and use a lnding net for big fish.

I just fling em up into the weeds! ;-)

Biker, don't you mean "kick" them into the weeds? Far more effective.

I always found headbutting them into the weeds to be quite efficient.

I never found a net to be essential for trout under about 16-17 inches, but if you have a real chance of hooking larger trout you'll want a net. I like the rubber coated measure net.

Thanks for the input
I too have always thought they were an extra problem. I always make an effort to bring the fish to hand aas faast as possible, wet my hand beefore handling and try to keep the fish i the water.
As mentioned removing medium size flies is easy this way but find myself handling the fish more for small flies.
I will try a net on streams with potential for larger fish. I can pick up a Frabill net with clear rubber bag for about $25 at the local sporting good store - will give it a try - if it works, great. If not I'll pass it along or donate to the local kids fishing group.

BTW for those that carry the net on their back - does your back get wet from the wet net after use?

Thanks much

BTW for those that carry the net on their back - does your back get wet from the wet net after use?

Thanks much

I think that would be a good problem to have, means your catching fish!

I made the switch to a ghost type bag. I got one of these Cabela's nets. Its a decent net, the construction is not as high quality as a brodin net, but the bag is the same and it gets the job done for about $40. Cabela's ghost type net

I also got a cheaper rubber net for around 25-30 bucks. It's great. I used to hate how my hooks would get caught in my old mesh net- doesn't happen anymore.

Back