need wide wading boots.Any recommendations

A

AFISHN

I need an E width to as much as EE in a wading boot.
The boots I tried on at Orvis(before the lock down) were all D with and uncomfortable.

Anyone with the same problem and how did you solve it??
Thanks
Tom

I wanted a wide boot for putting on an xtra wool sock when FF in winter, plus I needed a size 14. Simm's were to small and narrow in that size. First I bought a pair of LL bean Studded Kennebek wading boots, took a gamble by mail order. They fit and felth great. They make them a little wider than other boots in my size. Then my FF shop had a pair of the older Patagonia Tracktor studded boots , I orderd them and they are fantastic as far as fit and comfort, Now that I have gotten older and my feet lost some arch, these two boots fit me great, Look into them.

Not sure what size length you wear, but I wear a 15 E and it seems the Korkers fit me the best. If i buy Simms they need to be a 16. Orvis seem to run much smaller. I tried on the Patagonia last week in a 14 and they were definitely small. My friend bought a pair and he normally wears a 12 in sneakers/hunting boots and ended up going with the 14's in the Patagonia.

I wear a 13 4E, and size 13 Chota STL Plus boots work great for me. They are very generously cut.

salvelinus wrote:
I wear a 13 4E, and size 13 Chota STL Plus boots work great for me. They are very generously cut.
Ditto on STL's, one of the best and most comfortable fitting boots out there with a generous box toe and softer sidewalls than many wading boots which are so stiff I can't believe anybody can wear them.

FWIW - I wear a size 10-1/2 to 11 D street shoe and have been buying a size 12 wading shoe since day one in every brand, including Chota. That gives me room for the thick wool sock I prefer to wear on my bare foot and helps when inevitably the shoes shrink over time from repeated wetting and drying.

Simms freestone boots have/had EEE width
Upsize to get some extra room
Example 10.5 street shoe = size 12 Freestone for me

Comes in felt or vibram or did when I got mine

Can add studs easily
Great anckle support
Traditional lace up boot

Good luck

salvelinus wrote:
I agree on the Chota stl boots, not the plus. I have a pair now for about 4 or 5 years. boots held up great , still in great shape, 2 problems with them, The lacing system was shot the first few months, and there size 13, other than that they are comfortable. I likeweribg them during summer months , with no bulky socks ofwet wading.

hunter1 wrote:
I agree on the Chota stl boots, not the plus. I have a pair now for about 4 or 5 years. boots held up great , still in great shape, 2 problems with them, The lacing system was shot the first few months, and there size 13, other than that they are comfortable. I likeweribg them during summer months , with no bulky socks ofwet wading.
Here's what I do:

Buy some thicker shock cord (and have some spare material stashed).

When you cinch them up, do it S-L-O-W-L-Y. The outer fabric dry rots after a time and pulling it abruptly makes it more likely to break. The slow draw has made my laces last WAY longer!!

In a pinch, paracord works just fine.

I get one size up from my regular shoe size in the patagonia lightweight waders My feet are wide and flat and this has worked well for me.

Thanks Bamboozle. I like that idea.

My foot is like a ducks foot. I’m a 8.5 EEE. I bought a Simms size 9 and they seem to fit perfectly. The one thing about having wide feet is you get better footing on slippery stream beds. If I had hair on top of my feet I could be a Hobbit.

Back