Need to make a decision

TCWNY

TCWNY

Im driving to NC Thursday and want to stop and fish SW Pa to break up the trip, looks like Dutch Fork and Laurel Hill State Park are my best options. Has anyone fished either recently?

It wasn't recent, but I caught my first trout on a fly at the outfall of the lake at Laurel Hill. (I was too young to even know what I was doing and didn't use another flyrod until about 20 years later.)
Maybe search the Stream Report thread for information that isn't ~ 50 years old. :)

Washington County trout streams will be a disappointment for you, I would suggest Laurel Highland streams but have little knowledge or experience up there. My goal is to do more fishing there in the coming days.

Dutch Fork near I79 has/had a short stretch of DHALO water that’s small and a bunch of twists and turns and log jams. It used to get poached a lot. The downstream dam got breached after a hurricane system in 2004. Many folks fish upstream and downstream of that area, and appears to be the most accessible area of the stream. It’s been off color for a bit. I fished near the mouth on SGL a week ago and didn’t turn a fish.

Like I said, stick with Laurel Hill area.

Laurel Hill for sure. Lots of options up there if the main creek is too high or you want to move.

Laurel it is, thanks for all the replies. I may stop at Slippery Rock but really want to get south of Pitt

I fished a smaller stocked stream in Laurel Hill SP at the end of April. It fished reasonably well. Good numbers of stockies still present, and I caught a few small wild Browns too. The stockies were spookier than I would have expected them to be that early in the season. FWIW.

Sounds like you already made your decision, but yeah, you’ll be much happier Trout fishing in the Laurel Highlands versus the hills south/west of Pittsburgh.

Laurel Hill is the far better choice. Take the Donegal exit off of the turnpike.

Laurel Hill for sure. If it’s up or crowded there are several smaller streams within a fairly short drive.

Dunbar looks interesting

Laurel it is, thanks for all the replies. I may stop at Slippery Rock but really want to get south of Pitt
As a proud yinzer I feel compelled to give a lesson here......

-PGH is the abbreviation for the city of Pittsburgh
-Pitt is the abbreviation for the University of Pittsburgh
-Pit is the abbreviation for the Pittsburgh International Airport

NOTED!

And I want to be south of all three!

Go a little further south and hit the north branch of the potomac. Normally I would tell you to hit the Savage but it's a little high right now. Let me know if you need info.
Thank you! I just worry about "wadable/private/fish" in that order lol.

Private should be first concern , I suppose

Laurel Hill Creek from the dam down stream to just past the bridge at trent house is a good bet.
Laurel hill Creek at Humbert, under the walking bridge or down stream behind the yellow house.
Laurel Hill Creek at the upper DHALO section from the parking lot down stream for maybe a half mile.
Jones mill run at Beck Springs if the water is high else where.
Lots more places on Laurel Hill creek
and of coarse the Yough.

I rafted the Yough with my daughters softball team and that seemed like the only way to fish it lol

Found plenty of stickers in Laurel and had a great morning, I really appreciate all the help! Fished dry dropper with a big sulphur and a blowtorch and caught several on each. Lost both to that big palomino, hopefully someone gets him and a bonus!

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2369.jpeg
    IMG_2369.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2370.jpeg
    IMG_2370.jpeg