Need new boots- felt or not?

rrt -

You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to get decent, breathable waders. If memory serves, LL bean has some fairly nice pairs for under $100. I bet Redington has something decent at a lower price point too.

Also .. If you like lightweight, look for a pair of Patagonias old lightweight waders -- now discontinued. I found a pair last year for $139.

Dear rrt,

Cabela's had their Ultralight felt soled wading shoes on sale last weekend, $ 59.99 for studded felt.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Wading-Boots%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103896180/Cabelas-Ultralight8482-2-Felt-Wading-Boots/734259.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-mens-wading-boots%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1101202%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103896180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104674680%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104674680%3Bcat103896180

Madison River Fishing Company has the best wading shoes even made on sale for $ 69.99 with studs, but they are down to a few sizes.

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

Felt is better and studded felt is even better for me too so don't think that you're the only old fart out there who isn't sold on the new rubber soled wading boots. Lot's of people use them and will surrender them grudgingly, if ever. Hell, even Simms, the market leader and maker of fly fishing products that are the most awesome things ever invented has brought back felt soles this year.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I've fished the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY and the Lackawanna here in PA. Studs are the only way to go. There is no way for felts to match the traction.
One caveat - Don't let those studs make you ****y. If it's a slippery bottom and fast water, move carefully and use a wading staff.

Dave

TimMurphy wrote:
Hell, even Simms, the market leader and maker of fly fishing products that are the most awesome things ever invented has brought back felt soles this year.

Yeah, but my guess is they brought them back because of the aforementioned grumpy old men that won't give them up. :)

I was really disappointed to see Simms bring felt back.

I've taken enough dives down muddy banks with felt soles to never go back to them. And if a gimp like me does well with studded boots and a wading staff, imagine how well you will do.

Good point, I only wade fish except for an occasional guided float trip.

Thank you for your input. I really bit the bullet. I decided to buy the cheapest American-made Simms waders, which are really expensive IMO. I took your advice and bought the Cabela's felt-bottom boots to go with them and plan to screw in the studs that are to come with them. Boy, I could have gotten a really nice rod for the money I'm putting in to these, though at age 62, I want to feel safe while wading. The Bean waders I wore yesterday were unsafe, and I guess I'll send them back. Anyhow, thanks again.

If those are the same cabela boots i think they are don't skip the studs and watch out for mud. those are the ones that did me in. just a heads up. but the waders should be pretty nice.

Oh, geez, I'm starting to think I should've bought the same el cheapo felt bottom lightweights bootfoots I've been using for a while, but the last time I did, I had to return 4 pairs before I got a pair that didn't leak. I'll be living and learning on this one!

rrt wrote:
Oh, geez, I'm starting to think I should've bought the same el cheapo felt bottom lightweights bootfoots I've been using for a while, but the last time I did, I had to return 4 pairs before I got a pair that didn't leak. I'll be living and learning on this one!

Dear rrt,

Dude, I'm confused by this post???

You bought Simms stocking foot waders and the Cabela's wading boots I recommended, right?

I'm a big fat tall goofy galoot and I simply can't buy off the shelf bootfoot waders and make a go of it. If I read you right as far as what you bought I suspect you'll be just fine for good long time.

The only caveat I will add to those Cabela's boots and stocking foot waders regardless of the wader brand is that if you go a week between fishing trips it's best to wet the boots down prior to hitting the stream.

Most of the current wading boots regardless of brand that are made out of synthetic materials can be a real PITA to get on your feet when totally dry.

Now, Break a leg! ;-)

Regards,

TimMurphy wrote:

Felt is better and studded felt is even better for me too so don't think that you're the only old fart out there who isn't sold on the new rubber soled wading boots. Lot's of people use them and will surrender them grudgingly, if ever. Hell, even Simms, the market leader and maker of fly fishing products that are the most awesome things ever invented has brought back felt soles this year.

Regards,

I agree 100%.

One question though, at 44 am I already in the "old fart" catagory?

Good luck, Tony

Tony300wby wrote:
TimMurphy wrote:

Regards,

I agree 100%.

One question though, at 44 am I already in the "old fart" catagory?

Good luck, Tony

Dear Tony,

If you wanna be one you can be one, it's not like it's some exclusive club you're joining. ;-)

You just have to believe is all!

Regards,

Tim,
Thanks for the reassurance. I'd never have thought of wetting the wading boots before putting them on. Will I wear socks on the inside or the outside of the bootfoots or both? As I said, after 45 years, it's going to be a new experience for me, and I hope it's safe. We'll see!

Dear rrt,

You wear a pair of comfortable socks on your feet and wear the waders over them. If you wear a pair of high socks just tuck your pant's leg into the top of the sock to keep them from riding up and bunching up while you wade. Then you pull the wading shoes on over the waders. There is no need for any additional layers of socks, the boots fit right over the neoprene feet of the waders.

Today's synthetic wading shoes are pretty hard and inflexible when totally dry. Wetting them down beforehand returns some of the pliability to the shoes and makes them easier to put on, especially if you have big and/or wide feet.

If you fish two or three days a week and keep the shoes in your car trunk or the back or your truck they will probably stay damp enough on their own.

Once you have the shoes on and you get them wet while wading all that stiffness is gone and they feel just like regular shoes to most folks. I'm sure you'll like them once you wear them once or twice.

Good luck,

Wore the waders, wading boots for the first time today. I liked the traction of the boots. It was quite a chore getting the studs into the boots, as I am not a handyman. But, I did it!
I cannot imagine that the Simms waders will last me a season. They do not appear to be too durable, but we'll see. But, I felt safe in the studded, felted boots; I was not slipping and sliding around in them at all. Thanks, all, esp Tim M.

Dear rrt,

You're welcome.

Here's a tip to making waders last longer. Walk and wade as if you were naked. I don't mean anything weird by that, I'm just suggesting that you think about where you go wearing your fishing pants. If you realize that you are wearing synthetic pants and not armor plating the longevity of your waders greatly increases.

I got 8 or 9 years out of the worst waders ever made, the orginal Orvis Clearwaters. They were slight like crepe paper, and I treated them as such and they never made my day more difficult.

Regards,

Back