Need Help!!

Stevie-B

Stevie-B

I broke a snake guide on rod yesterday, (not quite sure how). I would like to repair it myself instead of sending it back. I do not want to wait the 2-4 weeks to get it back, especially at this time of the year. My question is what is the best way to remove the existing varnish/epoxy covering the wraps? Any info is great.

Thanks

Steve

Steve, I won't vouch for this being the "best way," but I have removed old wraps by taking a single edged razor blade (safety blade) and carefully worked it (parallel to the blank) under the wraps from the outter edge inward toward the guide. Be certain not to gouge into the graphite surface. Usually, once you get the first few wraps of thread lifted, you can unravel the wrap and it will lift the coating off with the thread wraps. Then, with a very fine grit of sand paper or emory cloth, you can even out the rough edges if necessary. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try again.

Pretty easy with bamboo, but if it is graphite, it is probably epoxy, and I can' really help you. there is probably a chemical out there that will desolve the epoxy without damaging the blank, but i don't know what it would be. If you damage the blank by repairing it yourself, you might void your warantee. Depending on which guide, you can sometimes cut the broken guide off flush and tape it (so you don't damage the line on the sharp edges) and still use the rod minus one guide (until you are ready to send it back). It shouldn't effect the casting all that much, depending on which guide it is.

But there are several plastic ... errr ... I mean graphite rod builders here that might be able to help you.

Jacks right. Use and Xacto and carefully slice a couple of threads. Use something to hold the rod steady and just pull the thread and as it unwinds it will pop the finish off.

I wouldn't be puttin' no chemicals on my rod neither...woah, I think I just channeled Festus...anyway, use the blade. If you are careful, it will be no problem.

No matter how you remove the wraps you need to be careful. Some use chemicals (problem: could bleach the blank or meltdown, it is plastic) and others cut and sand (problem: you scratch the plastic stress point, breakage down the road). Both can be done successfully, I would be more concerned with matching the thread and wrap prep (NCP, CP and type of Epoxy used) to match the original.

Joe E.

Thanks Guys!
Since it is the first snake above the stripper, I think I will be ok using it until there is some down time to send it back for repairs.

(There was no intention to make that a reference to a gentleman's club show.)

.....the first snake above the stripper....
Yeah, that DID result in some interesting mental images :-o :-D

Back