Natives back in Falling Springs?

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

So I recently checked out the newly updated Class A list for March, and I noticed that both Falling Springs and Big Spring are no longer listed “Class A” for Rainbow Trout. I reached out to the CV Areas Biologist and found that for year 2019 on FS, Rainbow biomass was around 30kg while Browns were even lower at around 20kg. 40kg is needed for Class A status. Pretty disappointing. However, I was kinda surprised that the PFBC actually added “Class A” Brook Trout (Brook/Brown mix) to Falling Springs recent update, yet the biologist reports and population data I received from 2019 makes no mention of Brook Trout being found in these surveys? Anyway, I fish FS fairly often an have ever only caught one wild Brookie there about 3 years ago (not a hatchery escapee). Still mainly catching bows and browns.

So, since the new classification, I’m curious if any CV regulars here have been catching natives out of Falling Springs?

I've fished FS for nearly 40 years and have never seen a wild brook trout. I was there as recently as last month.

It's certainly possible that some have turned up in surveys or anecdotal accounts, but I have not heard of this. In order for the stream to be labeled as mixed species Class A, it needs a biomass threshold that I am skeptical there are enough STs to merit.

It sounds like a case of "errors were made."

My thoughts as well Dave. Perhaps it was an error as TB pointed out. I just find it odd and a bit suspicious why they would removed Class A rainbow trout status from BS which clearly still has rainbow trout, and added Brook Trout Class A status to FS which has little, to no wild Brook trout.

Here’s the list if you’d like to look.

https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/Trout/Documents/classa.pdf

It would seem like the removal of RT from the designation is deliberate for some reason, as it’s happened across several streams. Can’t explain the addition of ST though.

Another, smaller CV Limestoner that used to be listed as Class A RT, has been re-listed as Class A BT. It’s been years since I’ve been there, and it had Browns, but more RT back then. I’ve seen a couple recent YT videos of guys fishing it and catching nothing but Browns though. I’m sure anyone local knows which one I’m talking about, without having to name it.

It used to be the threshold for Class A RT was much lower than BT or ST. Maybe they’ve changed that, and there aren’t enough RT to qualify now?

Swattie87 wrote:
It used to be the threshold for Class A RT was much lower than BT or ST. Maybe they’ve changed that, and there aren’t enough RT to qualify now?

The survey numbers for FS have been all over the place in recent years. In 2019, biomass for RTs was 32.8 kg/ha.

I know where you’re referring to Swattie. I was there last summer and most of the fish I caught were browns, and 1 bow. Back around the mid to late 2000s it was shocked, followed by a public detailed report showing almost all bows. I’d be willing to bet that the minimum standard Class A requirement for that little stream is now 40kg, same as Falling, and there just isn’t enough to meet the threshold anymore.

I can count on 1 hand how many times I've fished Falling Spring, but there was a change in the Classification for Rainbows. It is now 2kg/ht instead of 1. I don't know how that changes anything. There may be a shift of populations of wild trout where the remnant population of brook trout has revived and pushed the population of rainbows to the periphery. Or it's just a mistake.

The Class a threshold for rainbows is 2 kg/ht. Brookies it's 30kg/ht browns it's 40 hg/ht. But it's different for mixed populations.
It's been a few years since I've fished there, and the last time I hooked a large carp and promptly broke it off. Otherwise I've only ever caught rainbows there. I asked around years ago and folks told me in the upper end there were brookies there, but not many.

Back