Myth or fact? Fly Fishing Is an Expensive Hobby

^This is sound advice too.

Due to the trickle down effect most of the medium-high priced Korean built rods are getting close to the US premo rods, maybe even surpassing them (the new Hardy UL's are one of my most used rods, I have 3 of them).

Good advice on the waders. I actually cheap out in that regard as I go through waders annually. I spend boat loads of money on gear that will last indefinitely like reels/rods, but I don't spend as much on items I consider to be "wear items." I won't say I am opposed to people buying expensive or good quality waders, it's one of the things I usually skimp in that department, though my upcoming steelhead trip has me thinking...

Vehicle advice is sound. Right now I have a beater as previously stated in this thread, but a good reliable vehicle is paramount to this sport if you want to drive far and not have the worry about a break-down. I have this fear so I usually pal around with friends and have them drive me to the desired destination in exchange for gas/food. I would like a new vehicle in the near future and am saving for one so I could be independent. Right now I am torn on what vehicle to get. I hang around car people and they are convincing me that I need a new sports car for shenanigans and to better fit into their group. Funny thing about vehicles is that no one really needs a true off-roading vehicle to access most fishing locations in PA. Most areas are pretty accessible by most vehicles and anything beyond that you are on foot anyways. I will say having a sports car would deter me from even driving to these locations to avoid messing up my paint. Decisions, decisions...

If you need it (Albolene) to flow a little better, you can dilute it with mineral oil or mineral spirits. Less toxic than lighter fluid. It has a tendency to get too thick in cold weather.
Oh yeah...it's very thick in the colder weather!
I too have heard "rumors" that floatants like Gink are, in their base, Albolene.

Back