Myth or fact? Fly Fishing Is an Expensive Hobby

I heard for years that flyfishing was expensive, the rich man's sport etc.

Then I went to a presentation by a bass tournament guy. The amount of money they have tied up in a boat, outboard engine, boat trailer, big truck to haul boat, rods, reels, boxes upon boxes of lures, etc. would be enough to buy a house.

The amount I've spent on flyfishing is a small percentage of that.
There was a book by Richard Louv called Fly-Fishing for Sharks. It's a book about fishing culture in general and is a really good read. In one chapter he describes bass pro type guys from the coal regions of Kentucky (or maybe West Virginia) where they live in $20,000 houses and own $25,000 bass boats. It came out in 2001 so adjust the numbers for inflation, but yeah, really true what a bass 'hobby' can run you. Side note: I once visited a bass shop in the Poconos near Beltzville Lake. I think I need tippet or something. I go in there and I'm looking around, and on all four walls were thousands of lures of every kind. For a minute I thought I was in a Christmas ornament store. But no tippet material.

There was a book by Richard Louv called Fly-Fishing for Sharks. It's a book about fishing culture in general and is a really good read. In one chapter he describes bass pro type guys from the coal regions of Kentucky (or maybe West Virginia) where they live in $20,000 houses and own $25,000 bass boats. It came out in 2001 so adjust the numbers for inflation, but yeah, really true what a bass 'hobby' can run you. Side note: I once visited a bass shop in the Poconos near Beltzville Lake. I think I need tippet or something. I go in there and I'm looking around, and on all four walls were thousands of lures of every kind. For a minute I thought I was in a Christmas ornament store. But no tippet material.
That is what I saw in South Carolina when I lived there in the 90s. There were many sparkle boats in trailer parks. I guess you gotta have priorities...

Bumping this thread back up, and agree, it’s as exspensive/cheap as you want it to be. Went hunting this morning with a muzzleloader I paid a couple hundred dollars for, just to use it one week a year. Too warm this afternoon to sit in the woods, so I took my high dollar Eagle Claw rod for a walk in the Yellow Breaches and caught a couple trout. I had less tied up in the rod, reel, line and waders than I have in that gun. It’s not my normal go to rod, but still gets used a few times a year. Money doesn’t catch fish

Steve

my 2 cents.

it is cheap. my first fly rod set up was from walmart. and it even came with flys. i thought i was the master fly caster catching sunnies on prince nympths.

but like everything, you gain interest in, you want the better gear.

now i only wear simms waders. and fish with galvan reels. and all i think about is where my next fish is coming from.

The thing that is killing me now expense wise is my wife and 2 sons are interested in learning the sport. I have a few extra rods they can use, but they need waders and all the gear one needs to fish independently. Plus I have to tie more flies for them.

The thing that is killing me now expense wise is my wife and 2 sons are interested in learning the sport. I have a few extra rods they can use, but they need waders and all the gear one needs to fish independently. Plus I have to tie more flies for them.
Teach THEM to tie! Or get them to sign-up for one of my swaps! I just love mentoring someone in their tying development! I've been tying for over fifty years and have crossed paths with many fine tyers over the years and stolen, er..., I mean LEARNED from all of them! ;) I am happy to pass on all that knowledge to the next generation of tyers.

Kim

Probably both.
I have never made a lot of money.
My original FF investment of $200 in 2006
( so I could now finally stop at designated "FF ONLY" water...Stillaguamish River) was likely the best decision I have ever made.
( Thank You Andrew at Outdoor Emporium/ Seattle)

It's all what you make of it. I choose to fish the most expensive rods on the market as I favor them cosmetically and I like the clout associated with them. Nothing against what I consider to be the lower tiers of equipment, it's just my personal preference.

I will say I fished a Fenwick Aetos 9ft. 5wt and a St. Croix Classic trout 8 ft. 6 inch 4wt trout this past Thursday. I found them to be quite decent rods. The Aetos threw a fairly heavy indicator rig (indicator used was the Oros half inch) and the Classic Trout roll casted a woolly bugger with ease on a SA GPX line. I liked the way both rods casted and fished, with preference for the classic trout. I couldn't justify owning either as neither have the level of prestige I want in a rod, but both were a pleasure and I wouldn't talk down on another angler for using one if I came upon them.

I did change my perspective on what is or isn't a good fly rod.

Overall I try and achieve the highest artistic image I can create in the sport which typically will be the high end stuff. I have more into the sport than what a new Honda Civic costs.

"I couldn't justify owning either as neither have the level of prestige I want in a rod, but both were a pleasure and I wouldn't talk down on another angler for using one if I came upon them."

Does that "level of prestige" catch more trout than a low end rod? My investment level is more on the order of a Porsche 911.

That is what I saw in South Carolina when I lived there in the 90s. There were many sparkle boats in trailer parks. I guess you gotta have priorities...
Then there's dudes like me where the gear inside is often much nicer than the vehicle that gets it to the river. :) Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Can I catch more trout on a 700.00 rod compared to a 300.00 rod? Probably not. However I get enjoyment casting and fishing better grade equipment. I have recently purchased a few rods from Taylor Flyfishing and Epic who is based in New Zealand. These rods retail for 700.00 (not 1000.00). However I purchased the 6wt Taylor Anomoly Z for 565.00 with a preorder discount where the rod arrived 30 days later. Epic gave me a discount code via email and I acquired a 590G Reference for under 600.00. These are some of the finest rods I have cast and fished and I have cast and fished Sage, Loomis, Scott etc. Get on their mailing list for pricing specials. The New Zealand rod was free shipping with no tax. My credit card charged me 11.00 for a International Transfer Fee. Rod came to my home in 8 days. Taylor charges no tax and a nominal shipping fee of 8.00. You wont find a better graphite rod for any price.
Both companies have return the rod policies if you don't like the rod for any reason

Last edited:
"I couldn't justify owning either as neither have the level of prestige I want in a rod, but both were a pleasure and I wouldn't talk down on another angler for using one if I came upon them."

Does that "level of prestige" catch more trout than a low end rod? My investment level is more on the order of a Porsche 911.
I've considered selling all my fly gear and my Rolex for a new Nissan Z... but alas it took me awhile to build my current arsenal so I am hesitant to be rid of my gear and I really enjoy the hobby. When you equate your gear investments worth to a 911 which 911 are you referring to? There is a big price difference in say an early 2000s Carrera and a 993 GT2 Evolution.

Then there's dudes like me where the gear inside is often much nicer than the vehicle that gets it to the river. :) Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Dude same. I currently drive a 2001 Saturn SL2. Front bumper is about to fall off, front driver side door cannot be accessed from the outside, it burns oil, car overheats in traffic, the rear shocks are toast, and the transmission (automatic) periodically forgets what gear it needs to be in. The value of the gear in the car is typically worth more than what I could sell the car for, though that is really saying much considering what that car is now worth. I have yet to be bested on the creek as far as nice stuff goes, barring some guy with a vintage bamboo pole that was valued around 4k. On the topic of "fishmobiles" I would like to get a new Bronco 2 door to help assimilate with the flat brim fly bros.

I would never say that a high end rod will inherently catch you more fish. There are so many variables that are involved in actually landing a fish that the quality of a rod would make little difference. User skill is the most important aspect in fly fishing.

However there are more aspects of the sport than simply the act of catching a fish such as environmental factors, weather/season, the journey to the destination, the people I fish with, and equipment used at a set location. I believe in setting up a combo (rod and reel) and even color matching the line if possible. This gives me enjoyment. I also try and match my combos to the water sheds I am fishing. When you are buying 4 $800 sticks just to go and fish them on a preferred brookie creek to see how well the rod fits the aesthetic of the environment, that is the level of insanity I am on.

There are some benefits of using a higher end stick but it is mostly just preference. I pick the rods I do for artistic quality and because they fit my casting stroke. it just so happens the rods I select are of the higher price point variety, and yes, maybe some of the fly fishing marketing schemes have worked their way into my brain. I will say that the higher end sticks I've bought, look better, piece together more smoothly, have higher components, are lighter, and more accurate than rods of a lesser pedigree. That isn't to say that all high end rods are inherently good, I've had some expensive duds in the past (cough cough, SAGE MOD 4wt 8'6") and I am still having a declining love affair with the H3 with the only rod I am liking out of the 5 I own being the 9ft. 5wt D model, and even that has been relegated to pond fishing when larger surface patterns and sub-surface patterns need to be delivered with speed and delicacy. We can also assume, all marketing jargon aside, that it does cost a bit to R&D a new rod that will implement some fairly high tech and better more costly materials. I have a good friend who made a good point about higher performance gear in general. He states that it costs a lot of money to get the maximum performance out of something and the crazier you go with trying to perfect gear the more costly it becomes to reap smaller performance benefits.

At the end of the day people are entitled to fish with what they want. I just don't want to be scrutinized or marked as an idiot susceptible to marketing campaigns. You respect me and the fish on the water and I won't bring up what tax bracket you're in.

Can I catch more trout on a 700.00 rod compared to a 300.00 rod? Probably not. However I get enjoyment casting and fishing better grade equipment. I have recently purchased a few rods from Taylor Flyfishing and Epic who is based in New Zealand. These rods retail for 700.00 (not 1000.00). However I purchased the 6wt Taylor Anomoly Z for 565.00 with a preorder discount where the rod arrived 30 days later. Epic gave me a discount code via email and I acquired a 590G Reference for under 600.00. These are some of the finest rods I have cast and fished and I have cast and fished Sage, Loomis, Scott etc. Get on their mailing list for pricing specials. The New Zealand rod was free shipping with no tax. My credit card charged me 11.00 for a International Transfer Fee. Rod came to my home in 8 days. Taylor charges no tax and a nominal shipping fee of 8.00. You wont find a better graphite rod for any price.
Both companies have return the rod policies if you don't like the rod for any reason
This is good advice too. I have an Epic 4wt 7'6" glass (Fast Glass I) (3 piece) that I sadly no longer fish as my Hardy SR 3wt 7'0" has become my new main creeking rod. I will say my Epic is a real beauty and has the cleanest wraps I have on any rod I own. Mine was a studio built rod. I will say that particular platform is a rollcasting machine on SA Anadro 5WF-F (175 grain head).

As for Taylor rods, I have yet to cast one, but they look nice and a lot of people rave about them so they seem pretty legit. I know two members off of the North American FF forum that love them. These two individuals go by the handle "SweetandSalt" and COTater". I have always valued S&S's opinions on rods as he has a lot of time in this sport and really knows how to judge a rod. I also value what @falcon has to say on rods. I may have to experiment with a Taylor in the future. There is an Anomaly for sale on market place for $300. It's a 10'6" 3wt nymph rod, which would be a good platform for me, especially because I am now in the process of ridding myself of an H3 in the same configuration. It's a lovely rod, I just can't think of what reel to pair with it which is paramount when buying a new rod.

Overall my opinion of Taylor is quite high. I feel they make good products and are quite fairly priced. The owner, Matthew, really knows taper design well. Only Taylor product I owned was a T-1 (4/5/6wt) reel in the "Thunderstorm" finish. Reel felt great and balanced well on the Epic I just mentioned. Only cosmetic complaint was that some of the internal surface area was left lightly or left unpainted when the reel was hydro dipped. Really didn't have much to complain about that though as the reel even in that finish was still less expensive than the paint alone on an Abel. Sadly, I parted with that reel in a trade where I was also offloading my dreadful SAGE MOD 4wt 8'6".

Epic is very nice too. They use top notch components and offer kits that allow you to customize. I'd say an Epic glass blank is about the nicest glass blank one can buy.

So yes, 2 great plugs there @falcon!

... Really didn't have much to complain about that though as the reel even in that finish was still less expensive than the paint alone on an Abel. @falcon!

Tell me about it...and none of which are going to catch any more fish than a guy using a $19.95 Walmart rod and reel outfit.

Actually, I’d get more enjoyment seeing that guy catch his first trout than I would fishing those Abel reels. There’s a lot more to fishing than showing off one‘s fishing gear…

22A92A80 64F3 44DE BFE4 24BD216DCF08

Tell me about it...and none of which are going to catch any more fish than a guy using a $19.95 Walmart rod and reel outfit.

Actually, I’d get more enjoyment seeing that guy catch his first trout than I would fishing those Abel reels. There’s a lot more to fishing than showing off one‘s fishing gear…

View attachment 1641227448
Lovely pair of reels right there. Can't say I have any Abels in that particular livery. I love the SDF/SDS models. My SDF 6/7 sports the retro green finish and looks well on an electric teal SAGE X 5wt. I don't use the reel often as I am kind of scared to use it. I've used it less than 5 times. I may break it our for my upcoming steelhead trip if I'm feeling snazzy.

I don't use high end gear to show off, I try and select the equipment based on how well a rod and reel looks when assembled and how well that combo looks in the environment I am fishing and the season I am fishing. I have even taken inspiration from films and videogames. At the end of the day I am just looking to assemble that perfect combo that gives me a euphoric high.

Oh, since you mentioned floatant...Albolene makeup remover. I bought a "tub" of it like, 8 years ago. Haven't bought floatant since.
If you need it (Albolene) to flow a little better, you can dilute it with mineral oil or mineral spirits. Less toxic than lighter fluid. It has a tendency to get too thick in cold weather.

It is my understanding that Gink is Albolene thinned with Carbon Tetrachloride or something similar.

When I first started, I bought some expensive rods.
However, my last high end purchase, was when Loomis first brought out the IMX rod series.
and I bought 2 of them.

Since then however, I got to try less expensive rods that friends of mine had bought.
And found some alternatives that were pretty nice.

My last new purchases, were Echo carbon rods that I think are great in spite of their modest price.
Have also bought some used rods off other forum members.

And have concluded that you really don't need to spend a lot of money to get a good rod anymore

I place more importance on spending money to get good waders.
Nothing ruins a day of fishing more than having them leak - especially when its cold.
Like many other forum members, I think Simms are the best.
And well worth the cost.

Also very important to have good reliable vehicle to get to the water.
Especially when the best streams are a good 2-3 hour drive away, which they are for me.
During my early years of FF, I drove an old beat up truck, which was all I could afford at the time.
And it broke down several times and left me stranded in some really out of the way places.

Back