My SIMMS Warranty Experience

Swattie87 wrote:
That’s classic worn out seams from stretching. It sucks that it can’t be avoided, because it happens simply from walking in them. Wading doesn’t kill waders, walking does. (I’ve found a baggier cut wader can help with this, a little.)
The problem is FINDING baggy waders. It seems the wader manufacturers are catering to the "skinny jeans" crowd who want to look stylish while fishing...

...or some bean counter figured out that making them tighter means saving fabric which means saving a $1.50 on each pair at the same price.

Regardless, I can BARELY find a pair of waders that isn't too tight around my big calves and going up in size just gives you a bigger bootie and no additional leg room.

It really sucks!

Cabela's USED to offer a SHORT size wader which was basically a polite way of saying it was for stouter folks but still a size Medium or Large. I have a pair that I use when I know I will be kneeling or sitting a lot (like in a float tube) which puts stress on seams. They are nice & baggy and have held up well but once they start leaking, I guess I'm screwed.

For that reason and I know it doesn't work for everyone, I wet wade all year except in the dead of winter and even then, I am wearing hippers which I also can't find with room in the calves...

Speaking of wet wading…

landmark wrote:
I had a hilarious conversation with Simms rep where he blamed me for wearing blue jeans under waders for them wearing out.
I once called Simms to complain about the fit on their “redesigned for the 2nd time” Guard Socks that I use when wet wading.

The original version fit great and were easy on/easy off. The new ones are so tight, I can barely get them over my modest 10-1/2 D foot and lower leg when wearing wool socks underneath as I prefer to do to reduce the sloppy feeling of a bare foot inside of a wet Neoprene bootie.

The response wasn’t that they F’d up (then why did you redesign them a 2nd time?) or they made them smaller to save $.40…I need to go barefooted in the Guard Socks. As a result I sent them back and I am still using my old beat to $#!+ pairs.

Simms needs to rename themselves "Slims"...

Maybe there is a need for a wader company that caters to old farts that wear jeans with beefy calves that don't weigh what they did when they were 20?

The company could be called "Fatagonia." ;-)

My fly fishing compatriot has a lot of experience with waders. He got the 1st Simms with me back in like 1997 or something.
He has worked at a guide in the Yellowstone area full time for about 9 years and he sees a lot of stuff. Last time we fished together, last Christmas, he had Orvis, something like Silver Sonics or something. They had no deficiencies by his telling. And they were a lot cheaper because Orivs gives excellent guide discounts. But if they had something wrong with them, he'd say. He knows the difference.

In a generation, Orvis went from an effite, stuffy brand to about the best organization in the business.
If Simms left a bad taste for you, I wouldn't shy away from the Orivis.
Syl

The LL Bean Kennebecks are their top of the range wader and they are only $300.
The Orivis and Patagonia look expensive, not Gore-Tex and not made in AMerica. And I don't know that there's an easy way to find pinholes like the alcohol trick with Gore Tex.

I think the key to finding waders that will last 6 years is to decide which brand and model you like best and then buy 3 pairs of them.
Or alternately, 2 pairs and the economy size container of Aquaseal.

Either should get you 6 years, I'd think...:)

Syl sez: > "And I don't know that there's an easy way to find pinholes like the alcohol trick with Gore Tex".<

I stick an air hose down the wader leg and constrict the material with my hand. Then I spray or brush it with a dish soap solution and watch for the bubbles. Mark them with a bright crayon and Aquaseal PRN.

Works pretty good for seam leaks or pin holes....

Mute ...more 2cents for you. I have had Orvis and Simms over the years and a pair of LL Bean's and honestly the only company that had really great customer service was Orvis. I know some people have may have issues with Orvis in general but overall they have treated me great. Currently have a pair of Simms Guide pants style waders as I don't wade deep that much anymore and I don't consider them to be anything great, just okay and kind of heavy actually. Actually looking for something much lighter weight for my next pair.

Simms makes the best waders by a large margin.

I never understood wearing jeans under waders, thought that only flat brimmers did that :lol:

fit is an overlooked variable in this.
I decided to switch from an XL to Large Long G3 last time because they were less baggy and fit "better". They were more comfortable. I had my shortest life span (3.5years). My mistake. I'm in between an XL and LL. Tighter fitting does more than stress seams. It also stresses the gore-tex membrane. Mine did not wear in the seems, but the fabric in the crotch. It just broke down. As I said, my fault. I am getting more life out of them though! I cut them at the seem between the leg/upper and now I have a pair if hip boots for brookie fishing.

my other two pairs of G3 size XL lasted 4 and 5 years before a problem. I had the booties repaired on the 4 year pair for 70.00 and got another two years out of them- so 6. I put in at least 60, long trips a year. I've very pleased with mileage like that. I'm sure they could make waders that last 10 years but I bet they would be so heavy and stiff we wouldn't want to fish in them
Nothing lasts forever.

Jeans under breathable waders seems counterproductive. As far as being baggy, you don't want them so baggy that the fabric rubs against itself as you walk. That will cause wear as well.

Sylvaneous wrote:
The LL Bean Kennebecks are their top of the range wader and they are only $300.
The Orivis and Patagonia look expensive, not Gore-Tex and not made in AMerica. And I don't know that there's an easy way to find pinholes like the alcohol trick with Gore Tex.

You should be able to find pin holes that way on any breathable material. It certainly worked on the Orvis waders I had many years ago.

No. I have had 2 pair of Orvis waders, way back, that alcohol trick did not work on. The old orangish ones, like my avatar, forget the model name. And several other brands.

My G3's are the only pair I've ever had that it did work on. Thats not to speak for brands/models I haven't tried, of course. It's about the liner material.

It worked on Clearwaters I had many years ago.

As for Simms in particular, I've done it with many different models fro.

Also Orvis currently advises to use the alcohol trick on their waders. A short adventure through the interwebs shows that Patagonia and DRYFT advise the same. I could not find a reference to the use of Gore-Tex for any of these company's products, but I didn't look to hard either.

https://www.orvis.com/s/fly-fishing-waders-care-repair/744

PennKev wrote:
Also Orvis currently advises to use the alcohol trick on their waders. A short adventure through the interwebs shows that Patagonia and DRYFT advise the same. I could not find a reference to the use of Gore-Tex for any of these company's products, but I didn't look to hard either.

https://www.orvis.com/s/fly-fishing-waders-care-repair/744

Yes, spraying alcohol works to find pinholes on Orvis breathable waders.

Gore-Tex invented waterproof breathable material but their patent on it ran out many years ago and many other manufacturers make their own versions. Some are good, others not so much.

When I worked for Orvis I checked out the XL spread sheet for waders ratings using different materials and tested for waterproofness, breathability, puncture resistance, abrasion resistance among other things. Gor-Tex is usually at the top of the list, but not necessarily for all attributes tested.

Anyway, here is a video about showing a little bit about how material is tested and rated if you are interested >

The alcohol method of finding leaks, has only worked on real Gore Tex, in my experience too.

It also hasn't worked well for finding bootie and seam leaks.
In those instances, I usually resort to the flashlight in the dark room, or blowing them up with air methods.

For leaks in the booties or lower parts of the legs, I fill them up with water.
Can only do that up to a certain height, though - around the knee.

"I never understood wearing jeans under waders, thought that only flat brimmers did that"

--------------------------------------------------------------
I wear skinny jeans under my Patagucci waders

I have not had Orvis waders in years but I will say that out of all the companies I have always had excellent service from them with my rods and reels. I will consider them when I need new waders. And I will never wear or buy anything Simms again based on their horrible customer service.

The reviews on the new pro orvis waders have been pretty good but alot of talk about how snug they are. I would have gone and tried a pair on if not for covid. The new material they are using is supposed to be very durable.

Back