My favorite pack pairing for fishing mountain trout streams

JeremyW

JeremyW

Hey there I'd like to share my current favorite pairing for hiking in for a day of trout fishing in the mountains. I've tried a number of pack options, but here's what I've found is most efficient for me.

First the backpack: https://www.rei.com/product/168484/rei-co-op-trail-25-pack-men
  • Good size for a day hike
  • Lots of lashing / attachment points
  • Water bottle side pockets are easily reached without taking off the pack
  • Optionally carry trekking poles on the back of the pack (1 pole a must IMO)
Secondly, the sling / hip pack with the fly gear: https://www.umpqua.com/zs2-bandolier-sling-pack/
  • Small storage, but plenty for an afternoon. Fit's well into the above pack.
  • Having the fly patch is nice to dock flies in the woods
  • Zinger spots well thought out
  • Forceps location out of the way
  • It works well as a hip pack or rmini sling
Currently this pairing is about $140, however if you watch for sales I feel like you can get this pair for around $100-$120.

Having the pair allows one to set down the pack, hit a few holes with the hip pack with little equipment in your way. I approach these mountain streams with a variety of "poses". Sometimes I'm actually sitting down casting, or hugging a rock to avoid being seen so a chest pack in my experience is not quite as nimble. I do have the umpqua chest pack, which I like for larger rivers but it doesn't have the capacity I want for a day hike 3-5 miles into the woods.

I think your assessment on a proper pack setup for small creeks is pretty sound. I run slings for everything but I like your backpack/hip pack combo. I also agree on the fact that chest packs aren't the most ideal for small creeks. I typically don't like having things on the front of my body like lanyards and chest packs in general, just seems to get in the way.

I do a lot of this type of fishing too, and have also landed on the concept of the system including a backpack, both from a capacity and a comfort perspective, for all day long hikes away from the vehicle. This means you often need to carry some sort of jacket (depending on the season), food, and water. In the Summer, it’s not uncommon for me to carry as much as 2L of water with me on a hot day. The key IMO is a backpack with a good, legitimate suspension system and waist belt.

The downside of a backpack by itself is it’s on your back, and makes changing flies/rebuilding leaders/etc kind of a pain in the butt.

There’s no perfect solution, but I run two systems:

For warmer weather…Roughly May through October, I use an LLBean Kennebec. It’s a relatively small backpack (20L-ish) with some modest pockets on the front straps for storing your fishing essentials. The backpack is big enough to get your water/lunch/and a small packable rain jacket in though. Which is fine for warmer weather.

From say November through April, I want a little more storage than the Kennebec offers I’ve found though. I pack a heavier jacket, and a lot of times like to carry a backpacking style stove and fuel for a hot lunch. I found myself really struggling to get it all in the Kennebec, so I bought a 30L Bean hiking backpack and paired it with a small Allen chest pack to keep my fishing essentials in up front. It has the same suspension system as the Kennebec with a real thick waist belt. Again, that’s the key IMO. Neither of these packs carry any weight on your shoulders when properly adjusted.

Another backpack convert here. I used sling packs for several years but found they were causing neck/shoulder fatigue. Probably because I was packing a day trip worth of gear in the things making them heavier than they should be.

I went a slightly different route though. I use a larger waterproof backpack (the Simms one, but it doesn't matter which brand), and I keep all my gear + food/water + rain jacket etc. in the pack and use a lanyard while fishing and keep my fly box in my shirt pocket or wader pocket (if I'm wearing them). I've found the backpacks don't cause the same neck/shoulder fatigue as the sling packs. The chest strap on the backpack keeps the lanyard from moving around so nothing is in my way.

I've also really focused on minimizing my fishing gear and realized that most of the stuff in my bags I only use occasionally, so it doesn't need to be readily accessible and is fine staying on my back most of the time. All I really need access to on a regular basis are forceps, splitshot, tippet material, floatant, and nippers, which all work perfectly on a lanyard, and then the fly box in my pocket.

I've also really focused on minimizing my fishing gear and realized that most of the stuff in my bags I only use occasionally, so it doesn't need to be readily accessible and is fine staying on my back most of the time. All I really need access to on a regular basis are forceps, splitshot, tippet material, floatant, and nippers, which all work perfectly on a lanyard, and then the fly box in my pocket.

Going the backpack route definitely makes you think through what you need to keep out front. My set up is similar as to what I keep out front in the pockets in the Kennebec or the Allen chest pack. They’re both just big enough to keep what you listed, plus my cell phone and one medium size fly box up front. It also taught me how to carry only one fly box for the day, which helps too.

I do a lot of this type of fishing too, and have also landed on the concept of the system including a backpack, both from a capacity and a comfort perspective, for all day long hikes away from the vehicle. This means you often need to carry some sort of jacket (depending on the season), food, and water. In the Summer, it’s not uncommon for me to carry as much as 2L of water with me on a hot day. The key IMO is a backpack with a good, legitimate suspension system and waist belt.

The downside of a backpack by itself is it’s on your back, and makes changing flies/rebuilding leaders/etc kind of a pain in the butt.

There’s no perfect solution, but I run two systems:

For warmer weather…Roughly May through October, I use an LLBean Kennebec. It’s a relatively small backpack (20L-ish) with some modest pockets on the front straps for storing your fishing essentials. The backpack is big enough to get your water/lunch/and a small packable rain jacket in though. Which is fine for warmer weather.

From say November through April, I want a little more storage than the Kennebec offers I’ve found though. I pack a heavier jacket, and a lot of times like to carry a backpacking style stove and fuel for a hot lunch. I found myself really struggling to get it all in the Kennebec, so I bought a 30L Bean hiking backpack and paired it with a small Allen chest pack to keep my fishing essentials in up front. It has the same suspension system as the Kennebec with a real thick waist belt. Again, that’s the key IMO. Neither of these packs carry any weight on your shoulders when properly adjusted.
A way to cut down on water weight is to pack a filter. I use a Sawyer water filter, which threads onto a standard SmartWater water bottle. Not only is the water bottle lightweight, but when I'm thirsty I just fill it up in the creek, and drink through my filter, no need to carry anymore than 1L at a time. My setup looks similar to the image below. When backpacking for multiple days I'll usually carry two of these 1L SmartWater bottles. One as a "clean" bottle, which I filter water into, and another as a "dirty" bottle which I keep the filter threaded onto.

Amazon link to Sawyer Water Filter

img_0518-e1548022942166.jpg

A way to cut down on water weight is to pack a filter. I use a Sawyer water filter, which threads onto a standard SmartWater water bottle. Not only is the water bottle lightweight, but when I'm thirsty I just fill it up in the creek, and drink through my filter, no need to carry anymore than 1L at a time. My setup looks similar to the image below. When backpacking for multiple days I'll usually carry two of these 1L SmartWater bottles. One as a "clean" bottle, which I filter water into, and another as a "dirty" bottle which I keep the filter threaded onto.

Amazon link to Sawyer Water Filter

img_0518-e1548022942166.jpg

I have both micro gravity filters and full size pump filters I use for multi-day backpacking trips, but for day trips I just prefer to carry the water. It’s not a weight issue with the packs I have and their suspension systems.

I keep one of the micro filters (like pictured above) in my pack for emergencies, but when fishing I prefer to not have to stop to filter water.

I carry one of these. Typically dry on the hike in and full on the way out.

LSGO green large 750615fa 26f0 4daf 8bb7 c9597b3eb580 600x

All I really need access to on a regular basis are forceps, splitshot, tippet material, floatant, and nippers.
I like to keep all the items I really need to access in the main compartment of a sling pack. That way when I go to get an item I have to take everything out and sort it out, providing comic relief to anglers in the surrounding area. Last week while fishing a pond I had three nippers in my sling pack, each got used that day at some point.

Another backpack convert here. I used sling packs for several years but found they were causing neck/shoulder fatigue. Probably because I was packing a day trip worth of gear in the things making them heavier than they should be.

I went a slightly different route though. I use a larger waterproof backpack (the Simms one, but it doesn't matter which brand), and I keep all my gear + food/water + rain jacket etc. in the pack and use a lanyard while fishing and keep my fly box in my shirt pocket or wader pocket (if I'm wearing them). I've found the backpacks don't cause the same neck/shoulder fatigue as the sling packs. The chest strap on the backpack keeps the lanyard from moving around so nothing is in my way.

yeah, I tried the sling for a few trips and decided that the backpack was better.

As someone who has done a lot of backpacking and has used many filters and chemical treatments, I would choose aqua Mira for à hike in fishing trip due to saving weight and space.

I think backpacks are too constrictive on my arms. My armpits burn with a back pack (I don't know why). I like the free range of motion a sling provides and love the way my net sits in a sling. Sometimes when I bend over the sling pack swings off my back and hangs under me, which is annoying. I need to tighten up my straps but I kind of like the loose feel of the pack, the "gunfighter" or "gangsta" look if you will. Personal preferences...

I really like the idea of running a filter too. Though I am curious with being around springs would it really be necessary to filter the water since it has already been filtered through limestone and sandstone before it came out of the ground? I always drank from springs as a kid. I'm no expert on water purity or what harmful microorganisms can be found in things like springs.

For the weight of those micro filters (like the one pictured above in the thread, and/or several of its competitors) just take one along with you and filter the spring water through it if. Light (and cheap) safety net.

I think backpacks are too constrictive on my arms. My armpits burn with a back pack (I don't know why). I like the free range of motion a sling provides and love the way my net sits in a sling. Sometimes when I bend over the sling pack swings off my back and hangs under me, which is annoying. I need to tighten up my straps but I kind of like the loose feel of the pack, the "gunfighter" or "gangsta" look if you will. Personal preferences...

I really like the idea of running a filter too. Though I am curious with being around springs would it really be necessary to filter the water since it has already been filtered through limestone and sandstone before it came out of the ground? I always drank from springs as a kid. I'm no expert on water purity or what harmful microorganisms can be found in things like springs.
In PA at I'd be more concerned if there was some industrial zone upstream, there seem to be many areas where pollution from factories was a big deal long ago. If it's always just been a mountain stream, maybe it's okay.

Big 'ol Plus one for back packs. I use an 18L Teton bag I bought off of Amazon which gives me the storage I need for everything from a first aid kit, lunch, water, gear, headlamp, and tons of attachment points. I leave the hydration pack behind and carry reusable bottles for water.

This particular bag has tons of attachement points and although not waterproof, it has a built in rain fly.

I make good use of my wader compartments for the things I want to keep in front of me and if I'm wet wading, shirts with pockets.

Attachments

• 123_1(3).jpeg
    123_1(3).jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 35
Only SilentOcelot has mentioned a net. I like using a backpack too, but haven't found a good way to carry a net with it. I normally use a chest pack. My net is attached with a french clip to a small loop of rope that hangs from the chest pack straps in the back. I reach back to the middle of my back and squeeze the french clip to release the net. It's on a stretchy lanyard also, so it's tethered to me. One of those magnet releases might be in my future, but the basic idea is the same - the net hangs from your upper back somehow. With a backpack, I haven't found a good way to accommodate the net. The chest pack is a good match to a backpack - I have found I can wear both easily.

I always carry a net. I use a Handy-pak on my belt - wet wading or with waders. Love how compact they are and right on the hip. Never interferes with my day pack.

Only SilentOcelot has mentioned a net. I like using a backpack too, but haven't found a good way to carry a net with it. I normally use a chest pack. My net is attached with a french clip to a small loop of rope that hangs from the chest pack straps in the back. I reach back to the middle of my back and squeeze the french clip to release the net. It's on a stretchy lanyard also, so it's tethered to me. One of those magnet releases might be in my future, but the basic idea is the same - the net hangs from your upper back somehow. With a backpack, I haven't found a good way to accommodate the net. The chest pack is a good match to a backpack - I have found I can wear both easily.
I don't carry a net, since I fish barbless hooks and I don't take many photos I feel like I can land, and remove hooks fast... if I was fishing for big fish, or wanted that photo op, I would take a net.

Big 'ol Plus one for back packs. I use an 18L Teton bag I bought off of Amazon which gives me the storage I need for everything from a first aid kit, lunch, water, gear, headlamp, and tons of attachment points. I leave the hydration pack behind and carry reusable bottles for water.

This particular bag has tons of attachement points and although not waterproof, it has a built in rain fly.

I make good use of my wader compartments for the things I want to keep in front of me and if I'm wet wading, shirts with pockets.
I think I recognize that pic, lol.

I generally try to go real light. But do take a backpack on occasion. Most places I would take a backpack, I do not find the need to take a net, and vice versa.

Back