Musky Rod/Reel/Line setup

Crotalus

Crotalus

Previously I accidentally veered the musky fly thread into a rod discussion, in an effort not to hijack that thread again I decided to start a new one. Feel free to add feedback about my setup or post details/questions about yours.

I picked up the 10 wt Echo Ion at the end of January. Hemmed and hawed about lines and reel for a few weeks. Finally settled on a 30ft Rio T-14 shooting head, SA shooting line and a Cabelas Wind River reel.

I was very very hesitant to buy a $30 reel, but I checked them out in the store, did some reading and am satisfied. Is it my first choice? no, will it work for now, should. I would not take it for saltwater or steelhead fishing but I think the drag will work fine for bass and musky. I bought the 7/8 size and it has plenty of spool capacity for the backing, shooting line and head.

I also bought a 12 wt saltwater sharksin line. I spooled it up first and lawn cast, didnt care much for the action so I switched to the Rio and shooting line. The info recommended 28' of the T-14 for a 10 wt rod. I didnt really feel like cutting off 2' and having to redo the loop connection so I used it as it.

WOW!! I can cast this setup better than any fly rod I have ever used. The casting stroke is pretty rust from several months of not fishing and the shooting head has a different feel to it. Once I have the proper timing on my hauls it should be even better. Even without a haul I can shoot plenty of line.

Next up is intermediate and floating lines. I am not sure whether to just switch heads or buy two more reels and have full setups for each type then I can just swap spools and have a couple spare reels just in case.

I owe Paco a lot of credit for his advice on line selections for the Echo. He was right about the saltwater line.

I wouldn't worry about the reel. Muskys don't run from ya like most fish. they just bulldog, gator roll & shake ya. Most of the musky I have caught i stripped them in. I think I put two on the reel, I feel safer with bigger fish if the reel does the work.

Also as far as intermediates go with the airflo or there type3 sniper lines. The butter smooth and there running lines don't knot. And I would forget the floating really there's no need for them. Plus you can't find 1 that will load the echo 10 wt.

Like Paco said stay away from floating line all together. I do not even own one anymore. Even the topwater stuff we use the intermediate. You get a better chug with the topwater with the intermediate. This is how Brad Bohen is usually doing it too. THe best line we have used so far is the airflo 40+ sniper. Thats what I am using for both intermediate and heavy sinking (type 7). The SA Streamer Express lines are nice but coil like a SOB even in warmer temps and they always seem to crack on me. You could also just change the head on your RIO since you have one rod and one reel. I have several so I have a reel dedicated to a rod and will have both strung up depending on water conditions.

Yup, I have the Airflo lines on the wish list from the recent Facebook discussion.

The gear budget has been crushed this spring so I have to go with frugal options. The running line was $10 at the Somerset show, shooting head was $40 and the reel $30.

The Echo Ion is good rod. The Beulah like Paco and TD have is supposed to be real good too. I think you can do with what you have as a setup for right now until you get some coin. Just like anything there is a world of options and opinions out there on what to use. Take the advice you get and try some different things out and make your choice. I think thats some of the fun in doing the musky thing!

Bump here you go Bluesteel

Back