Musky Fishing Surprise

fly_flinger

fly_flinger

No, it wasn't a huge musky unfortunately but it was a pretty big fish. While fishing for musky on Lake Nockomixon yesterday I hooked into what I at first thought was an absolute monster musky because of how hard it was fighting. I said to Govtmule, "This is a monster musky or a striper". Well it was a striper. This is my first striper ever and I'm still a bit giddy about it. It was 36"-37". We didn't have a scale but estimate it somewhere over 30 pounds. A good consolation prize any day the musky don't feel like playing.

Attachments

• 19580 resized.jpg
    19580 resized.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 11
a true TANK...fish of a lifetime

"consolation prize" haha. That is an awesome fish. I would love to hook into one like that.

Wow!

That really is an amazing catch.

I can't recall the last time, if ever, that a PAFF FFer got a freshwater striper in PA. To see a fish of this size is really impressive and an unusual and motivating story.

You never know what will eat a musky fly or big streamer, especially this time of year, but this fish would be tough to beat.
Nice job.

Don't worry Dave W, that will be Lake Marburg in a few years. The fingerlings stocked there this past summer are already as long as I would expect them to be at the end of two growing seasons. We know that from anglers' photos.

As for Nockamixon we do not hear of many stripers, striper hybrids, or musky being caught on fly equipment, so that fish captured our attention when it was posted here. Hybrids were stocked again this year.

As for Muskellunge stockings in the Nock, tigers are being phased out since Muskies, Inc is stocking purchased pures at a mutually agreed upon rate and frequency.

more like 20-22 lb for a striper at 36". still a great catch for there.

Thanks guys. I'm still surprised I caught that thing. I caught a couple pound largemouth a few cast earlier and was happy with that. This just made my year. Now if I can just get a few steelhead at the Salmon River next week. This year I have caught my first musky(6 total with 3 over 40"), catfish and striper on the fly. I have truly become one of the warm water insurgents.

Sandfly, this fish was definitely 30 pounds or more. I fish for carp a lot and weigh them so I have a pretty good feel for a fishes weight. I can say this was way heavier than my 25 pound carp.

http://www.stripers247.com/striped-bass-length-to-weight-chart.php

No matter what the weight, that's a great fish.

Definitely not a valley creek "beast" or "monster"..

Great job. You certainly have good karma this year for sure.

Nice! What it take?

Just curious if LL stripers tend to be larger than ocean dwellers. I would think so just for the fact there isn't a strong current they need to work against. The chart does indicate the fish's max weight would be under 25 pounds but Govtmule will confirm, this fish was certainly heavier than that.

It took a fly called the river pig. The fly has caught myself or my buddies 5 muskies, a certified freshwater fishing hall of fame 31"- 12 lb walleye, several huge smallies, a few largemouth and now a striper.

And those charts also say that I should be 180 lbs for my height . . .

that is the most accurate scale, plus I have caught over 50 stripers fresh and salt in that size range and never had one over 26 lbs. just sayin.
salt water stripers weigh larger than fresh water ones.
CL did you double that for humans ?????
Like to see that fly though !!

Landlocked stripers, if given the right bait source (shad, alewives) and enough of it, will get fatter per inch than saltwater fish, unless those saltwater fish have spent a couple days gorging on herring or bunker (oily bait). You'll see fish caught out of Smith Mountain Lake or Kentucky or Barkley Lakes that might be 50" and damn near 50 pounds, while my largest flyrod striper had been gorging herself on herring in May and came in at 48"x26" and 42lbs even (and she was round fat).

Most 36" stripers come in right around 20lbs or so. Most 30lb fish are around 42". I'd guess that one is carrying a few extra pounds, but not an excess 33%. If I had to wager, I'd say around 24-26lbs, which is an extremely nice fish, especially from fresh water with a fly rod. It is definitely about as heavy as you're going to see a 36" striper get and still be able to catch its dinner.

Good info surf...when I grabbed the net with the fish it was unlike any of the huge carp we got so whatever the weight it was an awesome fish...l'll post pics of the world record walleye on the fly...taters gonna tate

Here is another pic of Fly Flingers Striper..you be the judge...he aint a small dude either...HI-OH!!!

Attachments

• striper2.jpg
    striper2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6
here is the Walleye from Wisconsin, it was certified through the Freshwater Fishing HOF for 20lb tippet in the fly fishing category...Pretty cool

Attachments

• walleye.JPG
    walleye.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 5
Back