Musky Fishing Surprise

Oh Yeah - That's a fatty. Could be 30.

Beautiful fish and quite the surprise, I'm sure!

Great catch man well done.

Even though I work with stripers and am stationed at Nockamixon I can't help but be particularly impressed by that fish. And it is the third one of that size that I saw in photos from fall, 2016. Clearly, at that rate, there are likely more where those fish came from.

If you have an itch to try for Muskies, this may be a good week as the ice has disappeared and mid to late week air temps are supposed to be on the rise. Based on ice fishing results over the years at various lakes, Muskies do not necessarily venture far off shore in winter. And, right now the Nock is fairly well loaded with Muskies, which should be another incentive to give it a try.

Thanks for the info Mike. Hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of the weather later in the week to get after them. And hopefully I luck into another "accidental" fish this year. That was my first striper ever and I'm anxious to get another one now.

Your next best chance at a striper or hybrid striper in the Nock comes in late March, April, and about the fist three weeks of May. Late March/early April to perhaps mid-April can be hit or miss because the pattern that produces them in long, shallow coves may or may not develop depending upon the weather. If the coves warm up much faster than the lake for a few days, that is key. If the cove warm-up is much slower and at the same pace as the lake, the pattern does not develop or is very short-lived. After that, the late April/May pattern is more likely to provide a main-lake, near-shore fishery for striper and hybrids feeding on spawning alewife and gizzard shad..

Back