Muskie Flies

Celebrating the finish of my midge swap flies and freedom from sub #20 hooks!

8363464766_58f04b9027.jpg

Heres a couple of recent tyes. Im starting to dip into some of my own dyed materials. Im really gonna throw the buford patterns hard theis year.
785_541866729157676_1721679277_n_zps62a9e184.jpg

IMG_3642_zps4c2e014d.jpg

1-1_zps7f88bf64.jpg

jay and paco those flies all look good.

I keep getting more and more ideas for different pattern variations and colors.

I just wish i could make a decision on a 10 wt rod or it wont matter how many flies I have tied.

Go with the echo ion its a work horse and exactly the style of action you need to cast these flys.

Fwiw, my colton tradewinds has treated me well over the past year. Its a tad faster than I would prefer; but these big flies make casting pretty effortless...even after a long day.

Excellent service as well...I busted it this past fall and had it back within a week.

Those two are on the list (Ion and Tradewinds) as well as Redington Predator and TFO TiCrx and Clouser.

Planning to cast a few at Somerset and make a decision.

I just picked up a Echo Ion 10wt, an boy it hucks some line. Havent tried it with actual 10wt line, but im excited to see what it does with the proper weight line. I was using a 9wt rocket taper line. It was pushing it out there just fine. But I want to get a 10wt rocket taper.

For the ion 10wt 400 grns seems to be the magic number. I threw a 12 wt intermediate and didnt blink a eye.

I have had the tradewinds, predator, ion, and echo 3.
Predator and echo 3 are my favorites. Can't beat the ion price.

I have the Greys XF2 Carnivore and its pretty decent. It doesnt have as much guts as my other rod. I also have the Hardy Proaxis and it is a beast but pricey. It will throw lighter intermediate lines just as good as a 400gr head. I had an ion but got rid of it. They are great beginner musky rods but intermediate lines are tough to throw on it because its so stiff. I don't have one yet but just ordered it. I casted it in Wisconsin and it is the best I have thrown so far the Beulah Bluewater in both the 8/9 and 10/11. They are nicely priced at less than 400. I am getting a boat in the next couple of weeks and once it's on the water the Greys and Hardy will be strung w intermediate and the Beulah will be flinging the sinking line. The Beulah rods are also good to throw either intermediate or heavy sink.

Lastnights work. A 8/0 popper I made from the ground up. Shapping, painting & finishing.

photo2-1_zps09cdf670.jpg

photo-3_zps4750a252.jpg

Thats a nice fly!!! Great work!

Awesome work paco...very clean.

Does that have the wire connection through the balsa you posted once before?

VERY nice work, Paco. How big is that thing from head to tip of the tail?

Thanks guys.

It's the same head I posted before. The wire loop goes through the balsa head. I was going for short and bulky. It's only 9 inches long. Nine to ten inches is the length of fly I've got topwater hits on before.

Have you ever messed with disc or foam/ epoxy head like AD Swier ?

Epoxied foam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 5
That fly with a foam disc Ad Sweir style is basically a buford with out the spun deer hair and replaced with foam. Its a lot easier to spin a hair head and collar than mess with epoxy or uv cure finishes for me.

Biggest problem with foam is it gets tore up if ya hook a ftoothy on it.I dont wanna have to repair a fly after every fish. Not to mention goin indepth like epoxy and paint ever time. It doesnt matter what finish ya put on it. It crushes I've tried it.

I epoxy all my foam. Uv products don't cut it. Ad's fly is more of a popper style head. Ken Capsey's Ugly Betty is a a disc style. Depending on what line you use they "Walk the Dog" like a Zara Spook.

My take on them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 4
Back