Muskie Flies

That pink panther looks sweet! Gotta love when you find a good bucktail

I've been going at it over here! Some of these are my buddy Moose's flies, but all of the flies in the box are mine. Tying up some dark stuff tonight

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

I'm working on my topwater game this year. I've gotten pike on top but the musky she shows me no love! Here's what I'm working on.
image_zpscb0f52b3.jpg

image_zps99efac6e.jpg

Bluesteel nice flies. Try the pink with chartreuse, I've heard that's a dynamite color combo. My personal favorite is hot pink and black. I've heard a few gear guys say that and black and hot orange or a fire orange is a go to color combo.

Hey Paco I am with you brother, itching for some top water action. Had a musky follow a bass popper last year and I need to get me some of the action. Nice popper also. I'm curious to see how these cylinders pop compared to the spongebob style head. Quick question Have you or TD articulated one of these poppers yet? I haven't tried it but I was thinking 6/0 front hook and a 3/0 or 1/0 back hook kinda like a jointed rapala.

I have 3 articulated sponge bob style flys tyed up. Smaller stuff say 8'inches max. Topwater I've found for some reason ya have to go smaller than subsurface patterns. They are single hooked rear. I'm gonna have both single hook "solid" and tandem topwaters ready to go.

I'm looking hard at European topwater pike flys. These guys have some cool ideas on topwater bugs. Smaller heads and long skinny flowing bodies. Im thinking it will translate to musky too. I'm tying up a couple of patterns I've seen.

I'm going to give the tandem popper a shot one of these nights. One other thing I haven't seen much is a foam slider pattern. I will be experimenting with one soon. I have an idea not sure if it will work though. Well see. Another thought One thing I've noticed about the Europeans is they love the artificial materials. That and big tube flies, along with what you said about their popper styles. I would love to go chase those big European pike in the canals they have across the pond. Small water..big pike would be epic.

This fly will work on PA toothies for sure. There will be a couple in my locker this yr.

That video gave me chills....I'm going crazy right now not being able to get out. I love that color combo of fire orange and black, I've heard some gear guys talk about that being a favorite combo.

Here are a couple from last night. Ones a ghetto tramp, mostly synthetics, love the bass skirt in that pattern. The other is a hybrid with synthetics and nautrals in a double Hangtime. SF blend in the tail and craft fur head (reverse tied).

C6A4DD59-A86F-44AF-B302-EAFC05F297C1_zps1lv2yu14.jpg

E4A05088-D390-4021-A747-697EC979EEBF_zpskscmylmz.jpg

Paco you like

Attachments

• 1188-3.jpg
    1188-3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
Some flies I tied at Jim's Sport Center tying round table. They do this every year. It always has great bunch of guys tying all kinds of stuff

Attachments

• 1184-1.jpg
    1184-1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 4
plombardo wrote:
Some flies I tied at Jim's Sport Center tying round table. They do this every year. It always has great bunch of guys tying all kinds of stuff

Wow nice flies! What kind of stretch tubing cord do you use for the head on "T-bone" style flies? I tried tying a couple but the stretch tubing I used didn't quite work the way I wanted.

The sz in the ball park. The thing I worry about is bite pressure. I've seen studies that recorded musky bite force over 200 pounds per square inch. I've tryed taxidermy foam before ya have to epoxy it to get the rigidly ya need. Balsa is ok takes alotta time to shape paint and epoxy the head. And there's zero margin for error. I guess for me it's easy to use the wapsi block and cylinders for topwater. Ya get teeth marks in them. And there is to replace is it bothers ya.

Nice tyes guys.

Beelsteel89, Tie em tube is sold by new angle fishing company(Blane Chocklett). The problem with goo brand and other flex tubing it is not rigid. Fun stuff to work with.

The hair was flying at the PA Flyfishing Museum Open House. I tied there Friday and Saturday. If you guys have not seen the museum you should check it out, very cool.
P4060173_zpsccb20067.jpg

P4060163_zps90d21142.jpg

P4060162_zps7ddb1013.jpg

P4060161_zps73d40d2c.jpg

P4060160_zpsf253a75a.jpg

P4060159_zpsfed56191.jpg

P4060158_zpsde01e327.jpg

P4060157_zps7c81d002.jpg

TD55 wrote:
The hair was flying at the PA Flyfishing Museum Open House. I tied there Friday and Saturday. If you guys have not seen the museum you should check it out, very cool.

Sorry I missed the show - really wanted to watch you tie.

Always cool to see the new flies on here! Good stuff by td, crawdad, and the others.

Same idea here, but with 3 small shanks to extend the body.

13758400164_231d51f220_b.jpg

I am digging that Jay! Gonna have to steal that color combo.

This ones a single tied on a B10s 2/0. At about 7 inches, its a little smaller than some of the stuff you guys are tying. I'm thinking it should be a good big smallmouth fly but still able to drum up some interest from the occasional musky.

Attachments

• I-phone pictures 4-10-14 060 (500x414).jpg
    I-phone pictures 4-10-14 060 (500x414).jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 2
Back