Mud Snails in Fishing Creek

D

dryflyguy

I recently went to Fishing creek to fish the Green Drake hatch.
And was surprised to find signs saying that its now infected with mud snails.

This was my first time there since April 2021. And didn't see the signs then.
Or if they were there, I completely missed them, which I kinda doubt.

Just wondering if this is indeed a recent discovery , and how long ago they were verified there

I recently went to Fishing creek to fish the Green Drake hatch.
And was surprised to find signs saying that its now infected with mud snails.

This was my first time there since April 2021. And didn't see the signs then.
Or if they were there, I completely missed them, which I kinda doubt.

Just wondering if this is indeed a recent discovery , and how long ago they were verified there
I wasn't aware...if thats the case they only put the signs in the Narrows.

It is becoming so common that perhaps it’s time to devote a 2nd pair of waders, preferably boot foot waders, to mud snail waters only. Mud snails readily get under the laces on wading shoes. Yes, they are that small.

Question...what are the negative impact of the mud snails?

Watershed is less than 20 miles away from one that is a known mud snail hotbed- it was only a matter of time. Do geese and other aquatic birds keep a second set of webbed feet handy for wading in these different waterways? I'd wager your real culprit quacks like a duck

Watershed is less than 20 miles away from one that is a known mud snail hotbed- it was only a matter of time. Do geese and other aquatic birds keep a second set of webbed feet handy for wading in these different waterways? I'd wager your real culprit quacks like a duck
I've always said that...waterfowl are the main contributors of spreading waterway invasive species like these and rock snot.

Really? Well then explain to me why they are primarily showing up in new, distant geographical locales in Pa that one could contend are statistically frequented most by a particular group of anglers, the angling group most likely to travel about from one special reg area to another….Spring Ck, Big Fishing Ck. Codorus Ck, Ltl Lehigh, the Tully. And where did they first show up? Spring Ck. But no, no, its the geese that have taken a particular interest in traveling about to these creeks.

The exception that I know of is the Jordan, but it is a trib to the Little Lehigh and either through natural spreading or movement of local anglers from the Ltl Lehigh to the Jordan and back, they were bound to show up there, thus my 2 pr of waders.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware...if thats the case they only put the signs in the Narrows.
If they're in the narrows, they're also likelydownstream to mill hall - and beyond.
After they were reported to be in spring creek, I figured they had to be in lower Bald Eagle Creek too.
And sure enough, I saw signs down there last month.

Read what the city of Boulder, CO has to say about them and why they are bad news. It’s a very good write-up. Just search “New Zealand mud snails, Boulder, Colorado.

Furthermore…..re Pennsylvania
  • Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Urges Anglers And Boaters To Help Prevent Spread Of Invasive New Zealand Mudsnails

• Apr 20, 2022
    • Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.
    • Recent surveys by the PFBC and partner organizations have detected New Zealand mudsnails, roughly the size of a match head, in several popular cold-water trout fisheries in central and eastern Pennsylvania. In some infested waters, New Zealand Mudsnails have the potential to reach densities of hundreds or even thousands of snails per square foot. These snails are not harmful to humans but can compete with and negatively impact native freshwater invertebrate species, such as other snails and aquatic insects.
      Until recently, New Zealand Mudsnails were known to occur only in Lake Erie, Erie County; Spring Creek and Bald Eagle Creek, Centre County; and the Little Lehigh Creek in Lehigh and Berks counties. Surveys during 2020 revealed populations of snails in Trindle Spring Run, Cumberland County; Codorus Creek, York County; and Valley Creek, Chester County; prompting expanded surveys. Members of the public who observe suspected New Zealand Mudsnails or other aquatic invasive species may report their sightings to the Commission.

These snails are not harmful to humans but can compete with and negatively impact native freshwater invertebrate species, such as other snails and aquatic insects.
For me personally, my concern is the same as with any introduced invasive species. Trophic cascade.

These snails don't get enough attention in my opinion. Not due to lack of trying, just that they don't have the "shock and awe" effect of something like "snakeheads" that get mainstream media attention.

It's not just the impact on invertebrates as an example (important to fly fishermen), but what then does that impact? Fish, amphibians, aquatic plants, and on and on and on up and down the food chain. I don't think anglers appreciate how devastating this could be. There should be wader wash stations at every PFBC facility or public access point and strong messaging and imagery to explain the threat and importance of cleaning your gear.

Some great information in attachment. From working in the field, cleaning gear with a bristle brush is standard practice. Furthermore for nzm you need to either use 409 degreaser or freeze overnight or allow your gear to be completely dry for 48 hours.

Attachments

• NZ_Mudsnails_10-page.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
If they're in the narrows, they're also likelydownstream to mill hall - and beyond.
After they were reported to be in spring creek, I figured they had to be in lower Bald Eagle Creek too.
And sure enough, I saw signs down there last month.
Where was the sign on lower Bald Eagle?

I've always thought of the Bald Eagle above the spring creek junction, as upper BE.
And lower below that, because they're really two different streams.
But I've never fished below Sayers lake.....

Which leads me to wonder how far these things will spread downstream.
Can they, or perhaps have they already, taken up residency in the lake?

Traditionally, going back to my life in Pleasant Gap and Bellefonte in the late 1970’s, lower Bald Eagle has meant below Spring Ck. Below the dam was stated as such…below the dam or “below Sayers.” Troutbert can clarify if I am incorrect.

Traditionally, going back to my life in Pleasant Gap and Bellefonte in the late 1970’s, lower Bald Eagle has meant below Spring Ck. Below the dam was stated as such…below the dam or “below Sayers.” Troutbert can clarify if I am incorrect.
Thats probably because you live on the west side of the dam. You probably call it Howard dam on the east side its Blanchard dam. If you live on one side of Sayers or the other the names change.

Everyone in Mifflin County calls it Howard dam...... And no one cares what is upper or lower Bald Eagle. Haha.

"Hey, where did yinz guys catch them crappie?"

"Over der' at Howard, yeahhhhh."

But yeah, mid snails are a problem. They will continue to spread. I know lots of people who are ignorant about them and some people that aren't but still don't change their wading habits. You know, fishing often and using the same damp waders and boots hopping from stream to stream. And Spring is so popular that everyone gets there from time to time.

Now, the real question is have they damaged anything in Spring yet that's noticeable?

Back