Mud Snails in Fishing Creek

Traditionally, going back to my life in Pleasant Gap and Bellefonte in the late 1970’s, lower Bald Eagle has meant below Spring Ck. Below the dam was stated as such…below the dam or “below Sayers.” Troutbert can clarify if I am incorrect.
Yes, that's the way fishermen around here describe it.

But yeah, mid snails are a problem. They will continue to spread. I know lots of people who are ignorant about them and some people that aren't but still don't change their wading habits. You know, fishing often and using the same damp waders and boots hopping from stream to stream. And Spring is so popular that everyone gets there from time to time.

Now, the real question is have they damaged anything in Spring yet that's noticeable?
Spring Creek hasn't fished well for me this year for some reason.
Just really never seemed to find good hatches, and steady risers
And most of my friends have reported the same.

That said, this is the first year I've noticed that.
And the mud snails have been in there I think at least 5 years or more now.
Time will tell I guess.......

As for their spread -
I was talking about this recently with another fisherman that I met on the Delaware.
He told me that new studies about this have concluded that 70% of its spread is due to natural causes - animals and what not I guess.
And while that may be true, I'm not gonna knowingly hop from stream to stream and spread it around.
I carry at least 2 - and sometimes 3 - pairs of waders and boots.

After that day I spent on Fishing creek, I went up the Delaware river. And used a 2nd pair of waders there, which has didymo.
And after spending 4 day there, I went on to other streams, where I used a 3rd pair.
I miss the old days when things weren't as complicated....

Back