mouse fly.

jjsjigs wrote:
That is a stellar mouse pattern. Can I buy one from you?

Thanks for the compliments. I generally don't sell flies unless they're decorative streamers that are part of a framed art project.

gfen wrote:

You cut and rebend the hook?

That's a level of attention, dude.

The photo shows a hook prepped for a mouse. I'm still trying to work the bugs outa this pattern but basically the hook set-up is geared towards having a "high eye" and a low slung hook bend that keeps the hook downward (hence the lead wraps at the base of the bend). The wire is flexible but fairly heavy gage stuff I use for making spinner lures.

Attachments

• Mouse Hook.jpg
    Mouse Hook.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 4
That's dedication. I love it!

Ever try a Daichi Swimming Nymph hook? Looks pretty similar to what you're trying to engineer.

No kidding, the cutting and rebuilding of the hook is damned hardcore, although I do see exactly the why of it.

HK-051770-0000.jpg

Just for reference. Daiichi 1770.

Although the right shape, the Daiichi hooks are way too small for this application. I use plastic worm hooks - I think they are 2/0 or something similar. The mouse's body is between about 2-3 inches in length.

Thats an awesome idea!

How do you guys think these would work? They're Truform hooks, I think Daiichi makes them. #1230 I think.

Attachments

• truform.jpg
    truform.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 4

I don't think the gap is wide enough. A popper style hook, because its a popper style body, is what you're shooting for... You're just giving it a bit more bend to the shank.

Ok I got ya....

I've never tried tying any yet, I buy mine. I would like to give it a shot, though. I think I'll try foam first, then move on to deer hair.

I would use something like the TMC 5263

TMC 5263 is just a straight shank hook and not remotely big enough for what FI is doing there. He is using a 2/0 hook. The Weamer Truform hooks and swimming nymph hooks do not come in large enough sizes.

Any luck yet gfen?

I'm probably gunna give this a try tomorrow night

i was dying from fever, now i'm on call. all i do is sleep, poop, and work. sometimes two at a time.

Pooping while on the clock is one of the finer things in life

more than anything else, i want a nap. that's why i'm going home in 10 minutes so i can goto bed and do it all again the next day.

You're still working?! Damn...

backlog+oncall=late.

Some long shank streamer hooks have leverage problems, IMO this hook doesn't.

A size #2 or #4 TMC 5263 is a fine hook for what he is doing. One of the best mouse patterns (for me anyway) was originally tied on the 5263.

We're talking mice / vole pattern here, not rat.

tennjed wrote:
We're talking mice / vole pattern here, not rat.

I've moved on to fishing Yorkie patterns for 'gators in the Monocacy Creek watershed.

Back