Most Influential PA Fly-fishers

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Our own list > most influential fly-fishers in PA > any time period.

Since the national list missed them, I'll start by putting Joe Humphreys and Bob Clouser on our list.

Vince Marinaro
Charlie Fox
Ed Shenk
Ed Koch
Charlie Meck
Barry and Cathy Beck
Al Caucci / Bob Nastasi
our own OldLefty and Troutbert

And many others on here too numerous to mention. You are all appreciated for your contributions. It might not be books or articles but there is so much good information on here posted by the average FF enthusiast.

salvelinus wrote:
Vince Marinaro
Charlie Fox
Ed Shenk
Ed Koch
Charlie Meck
Barry and Cathy Beck
Al Caucci / Bob Nastasi
our own OldLefty and Troutbert

Add to those:

James Leisenring
Thaddeus Norris
Chauncy Lively
Russ Blessing
Cliff Zug
Al Troth (although he may be more associated with Montana)

And let's not forget that Theodore Gordon lived in Carlisle as a boy, and caught his first trout in the Letort.

George Harvey!

Samuel Phillippe, of Easton, PA.

Inventor of the split-cane fly rod.

I will go with my mentor Tony Morasco.
And Charlie Meck.
I am not a name dropper of folks I never met.

YMMV.

Jim Bashline. GG

The only big name PA fly fisherman I ever met was Greg Hoover the entomologist from Penn State. I attended a talk he did at the Cabin Fever show two years ago and I met him in Fly Fishers Paradise in State College this past summer. His information on bugs was very informative.

But the fly fisherman who has had the biggest impact on me as a fly fisherman myself, even though I never met him, has to be Dave Kile. I say this because I learned to fly fish on my own by reading books, reading online blogs, watching YouTube videos but, by far, the most informative and valuable resource I have come across is this site. I know that I am not alone in valuing the impact that he has had on my development in fly fishing by creating and maintaining this site.

A big thanks to Mr. Kile and all the moderators or this site for all of their help to all fly fisherman and their impact on the sport!

JackM, albatross, ligonierandy, Bruno, Maurice, TonyC, David, Merle, G.G., J.Forey, Boyer...and some others from Paflyfish who welcomed me and shared their knowledge of central PA waters when I moved back here in the mid to late 1990's. I read articles by the big names and their knowledge is great but if you want to talk about real influences, it's the face to face real people who have influenced me most. Thanks!

Maurice if he didn't bug me all the time we wouldn't have this site.

I guess I would have to consider Meck and Dwight too.

I'm going with all of you that I have met through this forum.v

PAFF has been (and continues to be) a wonderful source of knowledge and new friendships!

Paul G he welcomed me at his camp and we became good friends. He was a special guy and a great fisherman who shared his knowledge readily with one and all. GG

Dan Bastian.

A superlative artist at the vise and (although I've only fished with him a couple times) as good of a nymph angler as I've met anywhere and that includes Humphreys.

George Daniel
Lance Wilt
Greg Senyo

I meant Don, not Dan, Bastian. I never met Dan and actually, I'm not even sure there is a Dan...:)

He'd hate me for saying it but +1 for Greg Hoover, the guy just plain knows his bugs and their behaviors in a level of detail I've never heard from anyone else. Taught me which features are most important to emphasize in fly tying which is invaluable to someone like me who isn't the most patient or detail oriented tier.

Jack Mickievicz

Jack Mickievicz started commercial tying at the age of 12, and later opened a fly shop in 1968. He developed the spring wire bobbin in 1969, Wing Burners in 1970, co-designed the Renzetti presentation vice, and introduced prepared dubbing to the fly tying market somewhere in the early 70s.
Jack has promoted many common sense improvements to tying tools such as hex handles so they wouldn t roll off the table. He says, “Tying tools weren t very good in those days.”  He has always been an advocate for substitution of endangered and threatened species. He says, “I don t appreciate the logic in being a member of conservation organizations like TU and FFF while touting ‘Limit your kill, don t kill your limit’, and at the same time insisting on Indian crow, polar bear, and baby seal for your flies.” Jack founded the Dame Juliana League Fly Fishing Federation chapter in 1971. He wrote for **** Surette and The Fly Tyer magazine in its early days. Jack is an accomplished rod maker for both Bamboo and graphite rods. He teaches fly tying and conducts rod-building workshops regularly. He is currently working on a websight to help beginners with tying tips, techniques, good old common sense and some not so common sense. The site will feature an emergence chart in the form of a database containing 40 years of notes on insects, their colors, pattern matching and pictures.

The spring wire bobbin is the most commonly used bobbin, even today.

If your talking tying tools you have to give the Renzetti family a nod.

Theres so many to list in the history of the sport and I know not many people will agree with this but there is a young guy from Pittsburgh area named Josh Miller who is or was on the US Olympic team, coaches the youth team, has given demos and presentations at fly shops and for trout unlimited. Has created many patterns for modern European style nymphing. He’s always tying and doing demos at the shows. I’ve met him a few times and have know a lot of people who fished with him around the world and the consensus is he’s one hell of a good dude and can outright fish. He’s young but I believe in 50 years when it’s all said and done more people might credit him for influence in the way they fish than anyone else.

mcarney99 wrote:
Theres so many to list in the history of the sport and I know not many people will agree with this but there is a young guy from Pittsburgh area named Josh Miller who is or was on the US Olympic team, coaches the youth team, has given demos and presentations at fly shops and for trout unlimited. Has created many patterns for modern European style nymphing. He’s always tying and doing demos at the shows. I’ve met him a few times and have know a lot of people who fished with him around the world and the consensus is he’s one hell of a good dude and can outright fish. He’s young but I believe in 50 years when it’s all said and done more people might credit him for influence in the way they fish than anyone else.

Fly fishing is not an Olympic sport. Fly Fishing Team USA. Not an Olympic team - sorry to get bent on semantics but that bothered me for some reason.

Back