More Penns Flow Data- Not a Pretty Picture

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

There have been a number of threads this spring about wash-out weather. I posted a few years of flow data for Penns Creek. I have more. I have attached a graph. Here are a few observations:
-Fishable day means a CFS less than or equal to 500
-If 2016 is an out liar then the trend is steadily downward wrt fishable days year over year
-In 2019 there were 6 fishable days in April and 0 in May!

Let’s hope this last few years have been anomalies

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 6.23.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 6.23.24 PM.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 6
I don't think what's displayed is enough data to be considered a trend, especially if you disregard 1/5 of it. Plus it doesn't account for the other 45 months.

Not sure what the point is. I had 2 great days on Penns this year. Out of 2 tries.

If the conditions arent what you want, go somewhere else! I dont tjink "I wanna fish penns" and then wait at home for it to be right. I get a chance to fish and then its ok, what has good conditions right now?

Yes, Penns is unfishable a lot, and borderline a lot too. But it has its days.

I check the Penns flow occasionally and only went there once this year. I do know that the trout are very happy in the higher flows. When I can fish I am getting some fat and sassy fish everywhere I go. They look well fed and are not being pestered everyday by fishermen. Speaking of trout here. In my travels I am amazed at the severe storm damage I am seeing. Washed out bridges and down trees and erosion like crazy. Storms do seem to be producing very heavy rain in places. I think we are likely seeing effects of climate change. Hold onto your hats folks.

Hi Gene,

Thank you for your efforts on this analysis of Penns. I did feel this year was pretty bad for finding good fishable spring days and your data spells it out pretty clearly. I like the lookback of the previous years in comparison.

One of the reasons I "cover Penns" is that's where my central PA FF started at my first Jam in 2001. That's where I have my trailer/camp. I think Penns is a first class fishery. One of my points is that small shops like the Feathered Hook may not survive if this keeps up. That's sad.

Also, I must add that 2016 was a problem too but in the opposite direction, too low of flows.

MD_Gene wrote:
One of the reasons I "cover Penns" is that's where my central PA FF started at my first Jam in 2001. That's where I have my trailer/camp. I think Penns is a first class fishery. One of my points is that small shops like the Feathered Hook may not survive if this keeps up. That's sad.

Also, I must add that 2016 was a problem too but in the opposite direction, too low of flows.

^ No doubt finding decent fishing conditions on Penns is tough....just ask Jonas from The FH or Bruce from PCA.

Listed in the OP are the days with < / = 500 cfs flow. But if you subtract out the days with okay flow but with brown water or days in the summer with water temps up in the 70's, and there are even far less favorable fishing days on Penns.

Tough if you have a camp or fly shop along Penns. It is beautiful and can offer great fishing, but it is one of the toughest streams I know of to find conditions favorable for fishing.

That's true, but the drainage and area as a whole offers good fishing most of the time. It's not that different from other big systems in PA. After a rain, the smaller freestoners around drop and clear rapidly, followed by the medium sized streams, and finally the main stem. And many of the tribs fish better with a fair bit of water in them.

In that area of the state it's truly rare to have conditions where you can't find ideal conditions close by. The trick is the guessing game. As most streams fall, they go from unfishable to ideal to low and clear pretty rapidly, and picking the right spot along it is the game.

Outside from the day of a large deluge, or a very long dry spell, somewhere in the area is absolutely prime, though. When in the area, it's my job to find it.

I wouldn't find fishing nearly as enjoyable if it were "ideal conditions" (which is in the eye of the beholder) all the time. It makes you a better fisherman if you can intuitively know what changes are going to occur during an outing/trip, and adapt to them.

The smallmouth fishing in some areas has been sub par, but it and the weather are cyclical and things will bounce back.

For me finding the ideal conditions is half the enjoyment. Agree that figuring out what's changing and adapting makes you a better fisherman, and is fun. But that includes changing locations.

Mother nature does her thing. Adapting means finding the best tactics given the overall situation. Picking your location is perhaps the most important tactic there is.

Oh, I agree completely on the possibility of changing locations. I always bring a couple different broads, reels, and selections of flies for trout and bass/warm water. it really comes in handy when you forget certain gear and are forced to change plans.

It's okay when you just go where you think is the best under the conditions. But, I get what Gene is saying because he has his camp along Penns and rarely has a chance fish it under decent conditions.

I have a place up north along the Susky and didn't fish the river one day last year for smallies. Hopefully I can try to make up for it this summer and fall.

Back