Moonshine Rods

PABigFishHunter

PABigFishHunter

Anyone have one or know someone that does? I’m intrigued. I’m in the market for a 9’ 5WT and was about to pull the trigger on an Orvis Clearwater when I came across Moonshine rods. I know you can’t go wrong with the Clearwater but man the Moonshine rods are pretty and have a lifetime warranty.

Dont know about moonshine rods except I’ve seen their ads on Facebook.

Try the fiberglass manifesto- the authority.

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/?m=1

Get the Clearwater.

A superior rod at a better price.

Moonshine = pimped out, low end rod. Was not impressed at all by the ones I've seen in person.

Clearwater. I have a 25 year old Clearwater that was my dads. It’s my favorite rod.

PABigFishHunter wrote:
Anyone have one or know someone that does? I’m intrigued. I’m in the market for a 9’ 5WT and was about to pull the trigger on an Orvis Clearwater when I came across Moonshine rods. I know you can’t go wrong with the Clearwater but man the Moonshine rods are pretty and have a lifetime warranty.

A lifetime warranty is only helpful if the company still exists.

Many tackle businesses that existed in the past are now gone.

The chances that Orvis will still exist years from now are higher than the chances of Moonshine rods still existing years from now.

troutbert wrote:

A lifetime warranty is only helpful if the company still exists.

Not taking sides, or recommending for/against any company, but the above point is important to remember.

If I'm buying something advertised as "lifetime warranty", but it's not from a company whose name I remember from decades ago, I kind of assume they may well not be around if/when I might need that warranty.

I have run into 2 anglers this spring with Moonshines: Chris ffishes a glass 8'5wt and his neighbor has a graphite nympher. They are pretty happy with them. Normally I would have tried a test wave with the sticks but in this age of COVID19, no sharing of gear. Ah, well...

I've fish Clearwater rods for years. They are very good casting and a high value. I have no experience with Moonshine Rods.

The rational choice is Orvis based on a reputation for quality and warranty coverage. Having said that, there are "irrational" reasons for choosing a rod. Not all qualities of a rod, especially a fly rod, are seen on a spec sheet.

It's about having fun. If you have the unlikely opportunity to cast each side-by-side, you should feel the difference and chose based on that. If there is a limited time return policy (ie, 7 day money back satisfaction) with Moonshine, you can take that rod to an Orvis dealer and cast them.

Moonshine may be a roll of the dice, but you may come out a winner.

I mulled it over and I’m going with the Clearwater 9’ 5WT. I have some store credit and they’re running a $10 off promotion and free shipping.

I could have used it this afternoon. My St. Croix 2/3 WT wasn’t handling the wind well. It was my first rod purchased more than 20 years ago and it has a lifetime warranty. Still, it’s limited in some situations.

Orvis...had 2 Moonshines and sold both. For what it’s worth.

if it's important to you, moonshine midnight specials are made in the USA ,orvis clearwater are made in china.

For a differing it seems opinion, I have a Moonshine Drifter and enjoy it. I also have a clearwater. My go to 4 wt is the Moonshine.

Back