Missing Strikes

Tight lines, try and let the trout hook themselves.

There are places like the Breeches and even the Gunpowder tailwater, where trout are known to shy away from your fly at the very last moment, and for that I can be of no to help you..

Something here I want to add that I noticed with stocked trout is that they often miss the fly,but it's so close it's hard to notice.Almost like a last second refusal from an "educated" trout.
My point is if you're fishing over stockers alot and they havent had time to learn to feed in moving water on moving insects it maybe the fish and not you that is missing the hookset. :oops:

When managing your line are you supposed to use your left hand to pull the line back towards you to keep a minimal amount of slack between you and the fly? I'm a newbie right now I've just been working with streamers casting them upstream and letting them come down past me until the line tightens up again before casting it back out. One of the things I noticed today when I was on the water was that with all of the extra slack I'd always have it would be difficult if not impossible to set the hook if a fish took the streamer. Also, are strike indicators like yarn, or even a dry fly tied further up the leader a must have for scenarios where you can't keep a visual on your fly?

Yes if you're right handed.Also throw some upstream mends in the line as it comes down toward you.
As for the indy.....depends on many things,but for me the answer is mostly yes.

Back