Misleading maps?

By the same token, of our what, 5000 wild trout fisheries in this state, probably 3000 of them are primarily brook trout fisheries, and there are hundreds if not 1000 or more that I would describe as excellent brook trout fisheries.

It's just by and large they are on the small, remote, and lesser known side of things. And many of them similar so that no one of them really becomes famous. That's the nature of the brook trout in our state. The big, rich waters have been taken over, and what remains are thousands of small off the radar mountain streams full of brookies.

As far as what the best brook trout fisheries are. I think you'd go back to the brook trout enhancement program. To the extent that program was supposed to be about enhancing anything, it failed miserably, because it picked streams that are already among the best we have to offer. They didn't need enhanced, they were already about as good as it gets. But it really was a who's who list of brook trout streams. It seems like they picked the most well known, good brook trout fishery in each part of the state and made a list.

I've fished it all the way up alongside the Pleasant Gap hatchery, and caught all browns, no brookies.

Gap Run in Pleasant Gap has brookies. Gap Run goes down a sinkhole.

Gap Run is in the same drainage. But they are two different streams.
When I lived in the area you had to go beyond the hatchery to find the ST based on what my on-site colleagues told me. I also knew of a population in a small run within the hatchery.

When I lived in the area you had to go beyond the hatchery to find the ST based on what my on-site colleagues told me. I also knew of a population in a small run within the hatchery.
I thought brook trout only lived in the coldest, most pristine, cold, clean, virgin, never touched by man, far from human activity, unimpacted, historically intact, immaculate water ever found on earth? Within the steely confines of an aquaculture facility? Can't be. :cautious:

Was fairly pristine where those fish were…a limestone spring creek with one minor road crossing. Isolated genetically, nice size for the available habitat, and not extirpated. Imagine that.

Was fairly pristine where those fish were…a limestone spring creek with one minor road crossing. Isolated genetically, nice size for the available habitat, and not extirpated. Imagine that
Don’t let them force feed you the cool aide mike
F4C8C220 5B17 4ED5 8CF2 F1D95197CF41

I know of a population living in a concrete box that have been isolated since the 1930s. Probably the biggest brook trout I've seen. Life, uh, finds a way.

For clarification, this is true. The "box" is a pond that is about 10 ft x 20 ft built by CCC in the 30s. 1934 if I recall correctly. No way for fish to get in or out. Usually about 30 or 40 brook trout in there at any given time. Really nice brook trout.

Last edited:
Back