Misleading maps?

I'm just hung up on the question of what anyone here would tell someone from out of state that asked what our best brook trout waters are. Of course, we have blue lines off in remote forests, but we can probably all identify a handful or more brown trout waters immediately. I have no problem answering the question of what our best brown trout waters are. Penns, Little J, Fishing Creek, Spring Creek, Letort, Spruce, Falling Spring. Even wild rainbows, I'd agree with PFBC on that one. These are all well-known streams, and I don't think anyone here would hesitate to name them. They're all well publicized.

Brook trout? I'm struggling to think of one. Since they're called out on the first result in Google, I assume it's ok to ask here. Are Roaring Brook – Sec# 2, Lackawanna County, and Black Creek – Sec# 2, Carbon County, our crown jewel brook trout streams? The Best Fishing Waters map suggests so. Aside from Spring, Penns, Fishing, Slate, and Cedar, those are the only other streams listed for brook trout in the state. Maybe I need to make a trip east?
Yea most states near us have fabled allopatric brook trout waters except us and we have the most cold ground water and stream miles out of any of them. We also happen to coincidentally be the wild wild west of stocked invasive species. 😭

Yea most states near us have fabled allopatric brook trout waters except us and we have the most cold ground water and stream miles out of any of them. We also happen to coincidentally be the wild wild west of stocked invasive species. 😭
I was just reading something today that classified Pennsylvania as:
Brook trout also inhabit the spring-fed limestone creeks that are prevalent in central Pennsylvania.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that characterization. Is the statement factually accurate? I suppose so. Are those healthy populations living in intact watersheds with connectivity to larger systems devoid of nonnative species? No. As one of two sentences defining Pennsylvania's brook trout populations, I think it's a mischaracterization.

Interestingly, I was speaking with someone a few days ago from New England about climate change and brook trout, and I was explaining the situation here. He said, "but you have all those limestone streams, right?" I had to explain that they're almost all full of other species.

Segloch is listed as allopatric class A brookie but i believe there was downstream stocking of brown trout and the threads on here for that stream tell the story its almost if not totally allopatric brown now
Class A PFBC listing for one species does not equal allopatric. There is a threshold that the other species has to meet before the stream section gets the "mixed" tag

I was just reading something today that classified Pennsylvania as:

I'm not sure I'd agree with that characterization. Is the statement factually accurate? I suppose so. Are those healthy populations living in intact watersheds with connectivity to larger systems devoid of nonnative species? No. As one of two sentences defining Pennsylvania's brook trout populations, I think it's a mischaracterization.

Interestingly, I was speaking with someone a few days ago from New England about climate change and brook trout, and I was explaining the situation here. He said, "but you have all those limestone streams, right?" I had to explain that they're almost all full of other species.
Oh yea streams that have 55 degree spring seeps popping out everywhere creating excellent thermal micro habitat that happen to have other species occupying them instead. Even the freestones, upper savage river is at a more southern latitude and has similar elevation to our potter/tioga county streams that are about the entire distance of PA south to north away from the savage.

Yet the pine creek tribs are over run with invasive browns and happen to have state and slate run brown trout club stocking them while savage has large abundant brook trout population and micro population of browns are found every few years and can NEVER establish. Coincidentally no browns stocked in the upper savage watershed.

Class A PFBC listing for a species does not equal allopatric. There is a threshold that the other species has to meet before the stream section gets the "mixed" tag
Oh absolutely, but with segloch I don’t think you can go there and expect to catch a brook trout anymore.

I don't know if the hatcheries on spring still even raise brook trout. But... They used to, and I have caught hatchery escapee brookies near the hatcheries in the past.

In addition, as troutbert said, there are brookie streams in the spring creek watershed on Tussey mountain, and no, all do not sink, at least not completely. And those that do, fish swim underground too. Those streams are primarily brookies but have browns, and where they run into Spring, it's primarily browns but there are brookies. I have caught wild brookies in spring.

Nonetheless, I feel pretty sure this map deal is a screw up as opposed to intentional misdirection.

I don't know if the hatcheries on spring still even raise brook trout. But... They used to, and I have caught hatchery escapee brookies near the hatcheries in the past.

In addition, as troutbert said, there are brookie streams in the spring creek watershed on Tussey mountain, and no, all do not sink, at least not completely. And those that do, fish swim underground too. Those streams are primarily brookies but have browns, and where they run into Spring, it's primarily browns but there are brookies. I have caught wild brookies in spring.

Nonetheless, I feel pretty sure this map deal is a screw up as opposed to intentional misdirection.
Right, but the map lists Spring Creek Section #2 from Houserville to Fisherman's Paradise, not the headwaters or tributaries.

I agree, at this point, I'm 100% certain it's an error in how the streams are tagged on that map. Roaring Brook and Black Creek being listed for brook trout on the best fishing waters map while being classified as Class A brown trout is the most telling. Some data labels got switched or messed up when they made the map.

Again, there's an underlying issue here that is more important than the source of the misinformation on an online map.

Similar experience.

Not a brook trout aficionado but there are those times of the year when I would fish them.

It’s like Huey Lewis and the News I need a new drug song. I’d like one to not be too small or too brushy. One stream that’s not too far or too steep. One that’s public and not private. One that’s not on a busy road and one that has a good park spot.

Not found nor know of the best brookie stream.

That our biggest, richest, most famous wild trout fisheries are all brown trout fisheries.
This is a PAFB document quote

73932783 1028 4C41 B676 08DBC1EA054C
6C393F2C 0170 4354 ADCD 4A7D93385982

Invasive brown trout are listed on EBTJV as 3rd biggest impairment in PA streams commission admitting they displace brook trout and we stock them in all our would be brook trout strongholds 🤯

I picked up Keystone Fly Fishing from a bookstore near Harrisburg a couple weeks ago. I haven't had the time to read everything yet and could find no specific index to brook trout. Flipping through, I find several photos of small (wild?) brook trout, so I expect there is at least some reference to brook trout fisheries. The captions are along the lines of incidental encounters and instruction to explore the tribs if you want to find wild fish. The copywrite date is 2017 so it's fairly up-to-date and is touted as "The Ultimate Guide to Pennsylvania's Best Water."
(PAFF's own Dave Kile was a contributor to the book in addition to several well-known co-authors.)

Prepare for the, "it's the sediment, urban development, water quality, pollution, aliens, bigfoot, Illuminati, cars, planes, eagles, computers, divine intervention" comments.
You forgot "mountain lion sightings"... Doesn't anyone talk about those anymore?

Some data labels got switched or messed up when they made the map.
I agree that that is the explanation for the messed up map.

GIS maps are often messed up. They are trying to automate mapping, i.e. eliminate the need for people that: 1) Know stuff about the resource being mapped (streams & trout populations in this case). 2) Know stuff about cartography.

So, it's basically a type of "artificial intelligence." But artificial intelligence often equals artificial stupidity.

Precisely because you've taken knowledgeable and skilled humans out of the process. The computer software don't know nuthin!

I agree that that is the explanation for the messed up map.

GIS maps are often messed up. They are trying to automate mapping, i.e. eliminate the need for people that: 1) Know stuff about the resource being mapped (streams & trout populations in this case). 2) Know stuff about cartography.

So, it's basically a type of "artificial intelligence." But artificial intelligence often equals artificial stupidity.

Precisely because you've taken knowledgeable and skilled humans out of the process. The computer software don't know nuthin!
Well, there's still a lot of human intervention in GIS map making. Even if it's automated from some dataset, and even if the dataset was somehow algorithmically generated, there should be a QC process as part of anything published. One would think...

I picked up Keystone Fly Fishing from a bookstore near Harrisburg a couple weeks ago. I haven't had the time to read everything yet and could find no specific index to brook trout. Flipping through, I find several photos of small (wild?) brook trout, so I expect there is at least some reference to brook trout fisheries. The captions are along the lines of incidental encounters and instruction to explore the tribs if you want to find wild fish. The copywrite date is 2017 so it's fairly up-to-date and is touted as "The Ultimate Guide to Pennsylvania's Best Water."
(PAFF's own Dave Kile was a contributor to the book in addition to several well-known co-authors.)
Yea its a good book if your looking to try a nee area of the state or familiarizing yourself with the state. I feel the fishing recommendations are pretty accurate. I mean some things are going ti change like posted land on yellow creek for example ect. But I will still reference it if I am going to check out a new stream on the other side of the state or something.

You can find alot of streams in that book that are filled with mountain laurels or hemlocks in that book that are being taken over by brown trout but then you find an orange AMD ridden stream running through an abandoned mine site thats too acidic for browns that supports brook trout and it really forces us to reexamine this notion that these brook trout are just too fragile or the waters too dirty and polluted.

Yea its a good book if your looking to try a nee area of the state or familiarizing yourself with the state. I feel the fishing recommendations are pretty accurate. I mean some things are going ti change like posted land on yellow creek for example ect. But I will still reference it if I am going to check out a new stream on the other side of the state or something.

You can find alot of streams in that book that are filled with mountain laurels or hemlocks in that book that are being taken over by brown trout but then you find an orange AMD ridden stream running through an abandoned mine site thats too acidic for browns that supports brook trout and it really forces us to reexamine this notion that these brook trout are just too fragile or the waters too dirty and polluted.
I failed to mention that there are several fairly detailed maps in the book with access areas, Game Lands boundaries, cross streets, etc.

I failed to mention that there are several fairly detailed maps in the book with access areas, Game Lands boundaries, cross streets, etc.
I was really focused on state agency published content. There are a lot of publications from private authors that give good detailed information. This is really more about how the state(s) themselves promote brook trout in their literature and online resources.

What remains is likely the strain of fish raised in the hatchery. Plus rainbow trout dominate Big Spring (with the possible exception of the "ditch" area).
I'd add that, in my opinion, most of the brook trout found below the ditch are all either hatchery fish or recent descendants of recently stocked hatchery fish. I also agree that it's highly unlikely that any brook trout in Big Spring, even in the ditch, are direct descendants of the original brook trout that evolved there. If anything, they're a mix of "heritage" genetics and hatchery strains from when the hatchery operated there. So it's highly probable to accurately proclaim that all of the brook trout in big spring are hatchery brook trout in one form or another. All that said, I'm not a splitter, and I hate the heritage strain stuff. I think we have to focus on the species, not genetically unique subsets of the species.

I like to harp on Big Spring, and I'm glad you mentioned it. I mentioned earlier that it's ironic that Big Spring is listed as the sole wild rainbow trout stream on the "best fishing waters" list. I'd agree with that assessment. Big Spring is indeed a wild rainbow fishery with a brook trout component. Ironic considering it was once world-renowned for its brook trout. The survey data may point to some statistically accurate result that refutes that, but the angling experience that I've had there is almost always predominantly rainbow trout. If someone from Texas asked me if Big Spring was our best wild brook trout fishery, I'd have to honestly say no.

FWIW, I have legitimately been asked by multiple people (attributed to the "circles I run in") about this very subject and every time I have to answer it and explain it, my blood pressure rises.

Back