Minister Creek - Allegheny National Forest

junglemike

junglemike

Hey folks,

I'm looking to do a short backpacking trip on Minister Creek in the Allegheny National Forest and was wondering if anyone has ever fished it. According to the Forest Service site, there are some natives around.

If there is a better place to do some backpacking flyfishing in the allegheny, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

-Michael

Nope, terrible stream, just filled with rattlers. :)

its got fish, it's also got people. that parking lot at the bottom ALWAYS has cars in it when I pass through there, granted, most are probably hikers. just don't expect solitude unless you go in the middle of winter.
I think the creek is on the brookie enhancement list.

I should get a commission for saying this so many times - get yer self a corn planters kingdom map - It is this best map for streams in the area. Looks a little hokey but I still have not found anything better. All of the little stores up there sell them. Word of caution those sites on minister are first come and fill up on the weekends on thursday.

Get the map and you will find plenty of places -

camping on the rocks there is a good time

Thanks for all the heads up. My big concern was people. But we're planning on going beginning-mid week (Monday, Tuesday) in late June and hopefully avoid most of the people. We've never really been up in that area, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for one of those corn planters maps. I received a half-way decent map from the forest service yesterday in the mail.

Our other option is the Hickory Creek Wilderness Loop, but it didn't look like as many fishing options as Minister Creek.

eh, the official campground at the mouth gets kinda crowded, but I never saw too many camping deep in, even on weekends. 1 here and there and thats it.

It's national forest, primitive camping is allowed anywhere at all without a permit.

If you really wanna escape people, abandon the marked hiking trail idea, and come up with your own trail. There's old gated logging roads everywhere, and by and large, the ANF is a pretty easy area to navigate and walk in the woods. Again, you can camp anywhere.

Late June is an excellent time for the brookie fishing in the area, as long as its not a drought year or something.

X2 on going off the trail, since me and my dad hunt in the allegheny forest alot, and hes been doing it for 30 years + so he knows some of it like the back of his hand. if you go on your own trail you will run into much less people

Back