Mill Creek - Lancaster, PA

HopBack

HopBack

I fished Mill Creek today around Lancaster County Central Park. My Dad recently drove past this section and said that I should give it a try because he saw some really nice looking water. I was pretty skeptical because I have only really seen Mill creek near the headwaters and it looks like the Pequea or any of the other Lancaster county run of the mill creeks. I'm really glad that I decide to check this place out because I ended up having a really great day.

I started after the rain around 11:30 and fished until 2:30. It was mostly cloudy throughout the day until about 1:30 and sun popped out and the bite slowed down. I took a water temp when I got there and it was a chilly 64 degrees, so I'm suprised I did so well.

All in all ended up with 15 smallmouth and 2 rock bass as well as a bunch of giant sunnies that fought like champs. Nothing big but I saw bass in the 18 inch range but I never really got a shot at them.

Here are some pictures of the better fish and runs of the day. On a side note does anyone know if the conestoga is wadable around the greenway trail? Just looking for some other options close to me.

Attachments

• MillCreek1.jpg
    MillCreek1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 63
  • millcreek2.jpg
    millcreek2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 42
  • millcreek3.jpg
    millcreek3.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 45
  • millcreeksmallmouth.jpg
    millcreeksmallmouth.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 41
  • millcreeksunny.jpg
    millcreeksunny.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 43
Very nice. Many small streams in this area are decent for Rock Bass and Smallmouth etc. The Conestoga River fish seem to be suffering the same fate as the Susquehanna. Definitely declining. Some of the other creeks are still okay as your reports show. I like to think they could be the nursery waters that could one day help repopulate the Susquehanna. Probably not in my lifetime though.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Very nice. Many small streams in this area are decent for Rock Bass and Smallmouth etc. The Conestoga River fish seem to be suffering the same fate as the Susquehanna. Definitely declining. Some of the other creeks are still okay as your reports show. I like to think they could be the nursery waters that could one day help repopulate the Susquehanna. Probably not in my lifetime though.

There are problems in the lower Susky, but I believe most of the decline is from a natural cycle; a few years strung together with poor spawning conditions from high water events in the spring since it's not likely all PA streams and rivers went to heck in a handbasket at the same time.

A few good spawning seasons should bring the SMBs back in most PA streams and rivers. It may take a while, but unless you're very old, you should see it happen....lol.

I don't want to turn this nice report into another rant. I'll just say that the decline in ALL species in the Susquehanna and Juniata and many tribs has been noted for MANY years by folks like Bob Clouser and isn't the result of just a few off spawning years. BUT I sure wish you were right Afishinado. It's been WELL over a decade now.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
I don't want to turn this nice report into another rant. I'll just say that the decline in ALL species in the Susquehanna and Juniata and many tribs has been noted for MANY years by folks like Bob Clouser and isn't the result of just a few off spawning years. BUT I sure wish you were right Afishinado. It's been WELL over a decade now.

Read the first part of the first sentence in my post
"There are problems in the lower Susky..."

No doubt, but I fish for SMB all over. The Delaware River and he tribs/watershed have the same problem with low SMB populations as the Susky.

Also neighboring states lime MD and VA have had a decline in smallies. These streams and rivers are not really connected.

The SMB population will return when with a few good spawning years according to all I read.

The lower Susky is getting better but unless or until the problem that killed the YOY is found and solved, I believe the lower Susky may be the exception, at least long-term.

There are parts of Mill Ck that support SMB populations that would be very attractive to most smaller warmwater stream anglers. Our survey about a decade ago revealed that there were few SMB above the confluence of Muddy Rn and that there were none in the drainage basin above the dam at Rt 772 . As a result we requested two stockings of fingerling SMB to hopefully restore a reproducing population from those locations upstream to New Holland. One or both of those stockings (I think both) took place and, if successful, a reproducing population in good habitat areas should be present. Likewise re: SMB stockings on Peqea Ck from the dam above Rt 741 upstream to the Rt 772 or 897 area during the same period and for the same reason. Limits on bass populations in those locales appeared to possibly be historical pollution combined with dams that subsequently blocked recolonization.

As for the lower Susquehanna from York Haven Dam downstream, as of last October's annual adult population survey, the recovery had been substantial and the population was very attractive for angling. Sampling sites were at Accomac, Turkey Hill, and Pequea.

No worries Foxtrapper, I posted this because I know people are frustrated with the smallmouth situation. I figured the group would appreciate a good report and also maybe get out and get a chance to have as much fun as I did.

foxtrapper: I refer you and others to my response regarding the Lower Susquehanna in the General Forum thread dealing with the Susquehanna.

Back