Middle Yough Conditions

P

pwk5017

Anybody have a look at the river near ohiopyle? Im wondering if its just high right now, or if its high and muddy. I was going to fish it tomorrow. Witholding anymore rain, looks like the flow should drop down to a nice level for tomorrow. I need to change plans if it is muddy. Too bad gauges cant inform you on the mud content :)

Patrick

I'd venture to guess the Casselman is blowing Yoohoo into the river. I am hoping that stops by Saturday. God, I loathe the Casselman.

They just (sometime around 9 AM) bumped up the flow from the Yough dam (likely because the lake is getting too full) from 650 to 1100 CFS. I think you will see high but clear conditions tomorrow and into the weekend.

hahaha yes, that is what I was afraid of. I biked up there 2 weeks ago, and the flow wasnt anything extreme(maybe 1200-1500 cfs in ohiopyle) and the river was a muddy mess. I found out why when I got to confluence.

Yep, I just checked the dam outflow. They doubled what they had forecasted. This yough trip is looking more and more unlikely for tomorrow.

You two think there is a fishable population left in meadow run? With these cooler nights, I wouldnt feel guilty fishing it. I hiked it last august with my girlfriend and I spotted quite a few holdovers. Last summer was brutal with the temps and drought, so this summer had to be easier on the fish in that stream.

Really won't know how much water we'd have to deal with until after 6 PM Friday. Right know the forecasted release for the dam is 1400 CFS. If this holds true, with the addition of Laurel Hill and the Casselman, thats gonna be too much water for me. Even though the tailrace isn't a challenging piece of water to wade, 1400 CFS is uncomfortable on the knees.

I hate fishing the outflow stretch. It always seems to be crowded more times than not, and I have never done particularly well. I plan on being up there one day this weekend. Probably more time biking and hiking with the family than fishing. Either way, by sunday night I will have a report on what the water looks like.

Does anyone have any input on the 281 bridge near the outflow section? It seems 2 weeks ago the area was abundant with trout. I took a trip there the 21st-24th this week and had no luck in catching anything. I've just started fly fishing this summer so I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the trout could have migrated downstream further with all the rain we've been having, i.e. more discharge from the dam? I was trying copper johns, worms, buggers and not one bite. Anyone else have any luck there recently?

As for the conditions, the water was a bit higher and swifter than what I'm accustomed to seeing when I was up there. From the confluence, downstream, the river was pretty muddy.

With the water that they're letting out of the dam, I gotta wonder if there's not a whitewater kayak convention going on at Ohiopyle.
JEB, as far as an abundant number of trout at the tailrace, they always dump stockies in for holiday weekends. Heck, the Yough tailrace is probably the most heavily stocked water per square foot in the state.
PWK, I bike & fish the Yough also from Ohiopyle up. Probably run into you someday. I've been skunked and I've had 40+ fish days(all on dries), thats why they call it fishin' not catchin'. My best catch & release so far this year was my first day on the Yough about 8 weeks ago. A healthly fat Brownie in 24" to 26" class on a #16 Cripple BWO dry on 5X tippet. Wish my brother would have been there to see it. Good luck all.

Well, I biked from ohiopyle to confluenced yesterday starting at 9am. The yough looked rough with poor clarity. I wouldnt have wanted to wade the river yesterday. In fact, I say no one fishing and very, very little boat traffic. Just a few kayaks the whole time I was biking.

Back