Middle Creek Browns

J

JeffP

Here are some pics from Middle Creek. Which are stocked? I didn't get a pic of the 5-incher from last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1704.jpeg
    IMG_1704.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 61141598662__1CCF281E-A1EB-44CE-93E7-EA47CFB106F7.JPG
    61141598662__1CCF281E-A1EB-44CE-93E7-EA47CFB106F7.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 157
Here is another one from middle creek. His ratty looking fins tell me he is stocked but he's definitely a hold over from prior years. Strong hard fighting fish

20220416 192049

That single pic of a brown is a recently stocked fish. I have zero doubt about it.

As for the group of pics, the top left is a stocked fish and the bottom left could be too, but that is one that I would have to see from another angle to be more clear. Right now I could go either way with that specific fish. At this point, it’s academic, however, since it is very clear based on the number of wild brown trout pics displayed here from Middle Ck over the past few yrs that the stream in at least one isolated stretch of unknown length is at least seasonally, if not longer, supporting wild brown trout. PFBC AFM’s were not aware of this until it was pointed out here.

Middle Ck has a history of becoming very warm and even difficult to stock at times later in the spring due to water temps; therefore, these wild fish appear to be in an isolated stretch of unknown length positively impacted by the springs that have been described here before.

Last edited:
The top left is definitely a stocker. All the rest of mine, I am pretty sure are wild. I had some other stockers, but I couldn't find the pictures. To what extent these are from the Segloch, I really don't know. I wonder how long MC has had Wild Browns? I didn't fish the lower section as a kid. There definitely weren't any downstream from the lake. 2 summers ago was brutal, but the fish were still there. I really need to look for reds in the fall.

Last edited:
+2

I do believe Middle Creek is another central PA stream with an ever expanding population of wild browns......top left is definitely a stockie, though. I love the wild browns with the sparse patterns. I don't see many of those around my parts.

Different Middle Creek.... The one he is talking about is the feeder to middle creek wildlife refuge reservoir in Lancaster/Lebanon county.

That single pic of a brown is a recently stocked fish. I have zero doubt about it.

You're in a much better position to make that determination so I'll agree. None the less I've caught some that appear to be wild out of middle creek. I think this one may be wild
IMG 20200601 210348 358

You're in a much better position to make that determination so I'll agree. None the less I've caught some that appear to be wild out of middle creek. I think this one may be wild View attachment 1641225045
It certainly looks wild to me. Where did you catch him? I finally fished the creek upstream of Rock Road. That's where this report came from.

That fish came from just above rock road

That stretch has some nice holes with dead water mixed in.

You're in a much better position to make that determination so I'll agree. None the less I've caught some that appear to be wild out of middle creek. I think this one may be wild
Yes, that second fish is wild, and pretty at that.

Very nice fish.

Definitely. I really wish Fish Commission would take a look. I am pretty curious about the Segloch-Middle Creek connection. In that section you are getting closer to the Segloch. It was odd that my one stop at the lower Segloch we didn't see a fish this year. The year before, a few weeks later, the lower Segloch was chock full of brownies.

On a different note, the lower Middle was stocked 2 weeks ago. I guess it was the Lititz Sportsman's club. My neighbor caught 40 in a couple hours on spinners. We brought me some some smoked trout and smoked trout dip. Not sure if any were wild browns.

Of the OP. Top left def stocked. Bottom 3 100% wild, zero doubt. Top right is the one I'm not absolutely sure of, but lean wild.

Nomad archers single pics. 1st one is recently stocked. 2nd one is wild.

Stocking browns in middle creek will likely increase propagule pressure and stage of invasion into segloch. Seems to be overwhelming the biotic resistance of brook trout in segloch as mentioned in the other thread about segloch. There is modeling out of a Ny Study suggesting the amount/ratio of stocked brown trout relative to the existing brook trout population can have to do with extirpation. Your probably right about the connection between the two streams Jeff.

Here I was so excited about finding wild browns on Middle!

Here I was so excited about finding wild browns on Middle!
Haha you still can be from a fishing perspective. I offer the conservation community/ fisheries science perspective. But i enjoy catching em too, enjoy hooking them no less my friend. I was night fishing the breeches 3 days ago and had a blast don’t let it take away from tour fishing experience, theres a difference between enjoying them on the end if the rod and furthering their invasion. They are a blast to fish for.

Back