Micro Fibbets vs Cow Elk or other stiffy tails

P

PaScoGi

So what is the determination for deciding to tie dry patterns with a Micro Fibbet? For example, most Adams dry fly patterns do not use Micro Fibbets. But then I will see some Cahill patterns use them.

Is it personal choice? Does the tail even matter on a dry fly? Certainly theres a difference in floatability it seems.

Just curious what everones tail materials are for their dry patterns

I use Micro Fibbettes exclusively unless I'm tying some classic fly for a shadow box.

I like everything about them especially the ease of using them & their durability.

In the "olden days" I used spade hackle.

It all depends on what I'm tying, but I like microfibetts for certain patterns, and moose body hair for many patterns.

If you don't have microfibetts, use a nylon paint brush.

Neither, Coq de Leon tailing fibers preform most naturally, super soft and they have movement. I have a friend who swears some super selective fish feel the stiffness of the micro fibbets and refuse to take. Idk?

I second the paint brush fibers. One brush should last forever!!!

Reactions: Kms
So what is the determination for deciding to tie dry patterns with a Micro Fibbet? For example, most Adams dry fly patterns do not use Micro Fibbets. But then I will see some Cahill patterns use them.

Is it personal choice? Does the tail even matter on a dry fly? Certainly theres a difference in floatability it seems.

Just curious what everones tail materials are for their dry patterns
Typically, I use micro fibbets for spinner patterns and some thorax duns. Agree 100% on paint brush fibers for tails on standard mayflies. I use the Moose Body tailing for flies I feel need more stability in rougher water...say like Royal Humpies, Ausable Wulffs, etc.

The patterns using Microfibbets that I see use 2 or 3 of them split at the tail. Does anyone use them as a clump the way most use spade hackle?

Neither, Coq de Leon tailing fibers preform most naturally, super soft and they have movement. I have a friend who swears some super selective fish feel the stiffness of the micro fibbets and refuse to take. Idk?
Maybe your friend mouth-tested the stiffness of micro fibbets himself? :LOL:

The patterns using Microfibbets that I see use 2 or 3 of them split at the tail. Does anyone use them as a clump the way most use spade hackle?

Even though I use Micro Fibbettes 100% of the time for flies with split tails, if I am tying a fly with a clump of fibers for the tail (which is rare), I still use spade hackle.

Questions for the paintbrush crowd:

Are you finding color choices, fine bristles and bristles that aren't flared at the end in hardware stores?

Excluding high end art brushes which makes no sense, I looked at paint brushes in the past but but stuck with Microfibbetts because of the fineness of the fibers, pointy tips and the color options.

I understand a trout could give a rat's a$$ whether the tails on a Sulphur are the correct color but if I'm going to spend a minute or two tying them in and splitting them...

I want them to be yellow... ;)

I'm kind of surprised nymph fishers don't incorporate them for eye catching appeal, maybe they float or neutral boyant

I'm kind of surprised nymph fishers don't incorporate them for eye catching appeal, maybe they float or neutral boyant

I don't use them on nymphs because natural fibers like wood duck have movement in the water and I THINK that makes a difference subsurface.

Reactions: CRB
Questions for the paintbrush crowd:

Are you finding color choices, fine bristles and bristles that aren't flared at the end in hardware stores?

Excluding high end art brushes which makes no sense, I looked at paint brushes in the past but but stuck with Microfibbetts because of the fineness of the fibers, pointy tips and the color options.

I understand a trout could give a rat's a$$ whether the tails on a Sulphur are the correct color but if I'm going to spend a minute or two tying them in and splitting them...

I want them to be yellow... ;)
Trout taking sulphurs are more prone to disregard the fibbett tail color but your hook HAS to have yellow/orange hues to be effective 😳

Trout taking sulphurs are more prone to disregard the fibbett tail color but your hook HAS to have yellow/orange hues to be effective 😳
???????????

Back