Messageboard Etiquette

JackM

JackM

Staff member
We have had various posts about fly fishing etiquette and very few about messageboard etiquette. So here's one.

A messageboard is a community of sorts. Rather than face-to-face, however, we interact verbally and at sometimes great distances. Most of us are way more courteous to one another in person. We are also here mostly discussing a shared hobby, as to which we all have different attitudes as to how to approach fly fishing and what constitutes fly fishing "knowledge."

The beauty of the open board format is that anyone can offer opinions, and that means a lot of opinions we find "bad advice" are offered as well. In the process of disagreeing, we should all learn to be less arrogant of our own views and more open to different views. If the subject is less about opinion and style and more about "facts," then it helps to be polite in disagreeing and also to offer a sensible explanation for the reasons. In this way, less knowledgeable and less experienced participants can more easily sort the wheat from the chaff.

What contribution can you make to an ideal messageboard code of behavior?

sugar,sugar- nobody likes salt in the wounds.

I guess my thought is that people need to get ahold of the notion that you are in control of one person on this planet...and it's you. So, I think giving helpful advice to assist someone to move forward (if that's what they want) is great. Personal attacks are poor form in any situation. Personal attacks on a forum say more about the attacker than the one being attacked. If you have a genuine problem with someone and it's that visceral to you, you really need to take it up with them personally and face to face. The internet tough guy routine gets old. Check your ego and self-esteem issues at the door and just abide by the forum rules. If you don't like the forum rules (and intent of the forum)....go somewhere else.

Couldn't agree more with Jack's post. I've seen more than my share of urination contests on this board, but maybe that's the way it is with message boards of this type. I don't post much because of this situation. I consider myself an experienced fly fisherman but unconventional and don’t follow the norms.

I've always held the principle, shared with me by a talented fly fisherman and guide - Don't tell an angler how to fish, but how you fish and why. The rest is up to the angler.

As Jack said that can be disagreements but be respectful, not condescending and explain why you disagree.

Dale

I got carried away on 1-2 threads and since then I try to keep in mind the following
if I feel as though I am addressing someone other than the OP, I pause and re-read what I'm writing very carefully. Same thing if I find myself quoting other's posts.
Not trying to be sanctimonious, just letting you what this imperfect sometimes hothead (me) has done to improve his sloppy etiquette

nymphingmaniac wrote:
I got carried away on 1-2 threads and since then I try to keep in mind the following
if I feel as though I am addressing someone other than the OP, I pause and re-read what I'm writing very carefully. Same thing if I find myself quoting other's posts.
Not trying to be sanctimonious, just letting you what this imperfect sometimes hothead (me) has done to improve his sloppy etiquette

Dear nymphingmaniac,

I don't post often here anymore for I've got little to nothing to offer.

However after reading your post I feel the need to say we are all people and we all say things we wish we hadn't, but as adults I hope that we can consider the general efforts of a particular poster and excuse the occasional misstep.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Well said JackM. I think that the your sentiment is critical to the health of the dialog on this board. I think your post is like having one's "batteries charged". We all need to be reminded from time to time. Thanks.

Jack - Well stated.

Best piece of advice is simple. read what you have typed and think before clicking on the "submit" button. Once it's out there, it's out there and there is no retrieving it.

How's it go? Oh, yeah - Do unto others........

JackM wrote:
We have had various posts about fly fishing etiquette and very few about messageboard etiquette. So here's one.
A messageboard is a community of sorts. Rather than face-to-face, however, we interact verbally and at sometimes great distances. Most of us are way more courteous to one another in person. We are also here mostly discussing a shared hobby, as to which we all have different attitudes as to how to approach fly fishing and what constitutes fly fishing "knowledge."
The beauty of the open board format is that anyone can offer opinions, and that means a lot of opinions we find "bad advice" are offered as well. In the process of disagreeing, we should all learn to be less arrogant of our own views and more open to different views. If the subject is less about opinion and style and more about "facts," then it helps to be polite in disagreeing and also to offer a sensible explanation for the reasons. In this way, less knowledgeable and less experienced participants can more easily sort the wheat from the chaff.

What contribution can you make to an ideal messageboard code of behavior?

Well said and worth remembering.
I've really enjoyed this message board and rarely regret participating. There have been a handful of times, however, where I said things that should not have been said or that were downright wrong... and I have apologized to others for these regrettable posts. I try to remember them when I'm tempted to proffer a forceful opinion and now try to avoid such controversial threads. My own personal views on participation in online social networking, and on a fly fishing message board in particular, are still evolving; especially now that I see it from a moderator's point of view - many thanks to Jack and Maurice for helping me grow into this.

It's also worth remembering that some folks' sense of humor may not translate well into a message board medium and this often results in misunderstanding and hard feelings. Ask yourself, "if I say this, will other readers get my point or see the humor, or will they misunderstand and come to unintended conclusions?"

Another issue is the young age of some new posters. If you think a new guy is asking a sarcastic question or making a stupid comment (as you see it) - keep in mind that the poster may be a kid who is coming at the topic from a naïve or child's point of view. If a post seems like it was written by a kid, that may literally be the case.

What Jack and F/I have said are appropriate. I, for one, have sometimes (well, maybe frequently) lapsed into boorish posts about a couple of things about which I have strong feelings, and I, too, have had to apologize. I pretty much think if you wouldn't say it to someone who is bigger and tougher than you are face to face, you probably shouldn't post it at all.

Anyhow, I have been trying to behave myself much better during the past year or so.

Forums are tough. It is much like text messaging, tone of voice, facial expression and body language are non existant, so what i notice often happens is that the translation matches the mood of the reader.

I see some post little because they feel they have nothing to offer, that saddens me. There are so many views to enjoy, offer yours!! I post way more than I should, I want to be a part of the community if for nothing more than the comradery(sp?).

The forum will always have its moments, but the majority must share the responsibility of being a voice of reason. This sport/hobby holds some of the most humble generous and helpful people ive ever come in contact with. So long as people continue to own up to that fact, This shall remain a great place to visit.

Oh, how I appreciate some of the irony that can be found here. ;-)

If I think someone is insulting me I just ignore the post. Otherwise, if someone is about to make a post in anger, write the post and save in Word and wait 24 hrs before posting to the forum.

RyanR wrote:
Oh, how I appreciate some of the irony that can be found here. ;-)

You said that very politely. :)

pete41 wrote:
sugar,sugar- nobody likes salt in the wounds.

Hmmm, I've tried butter on a burn and it does feel better, but never tried sugar on a wound. How's that work for you? :lol:

Jack, I respectfully disagree.

OK, not really. I was just practicing. ;-)

FarmerDave wrote:
but never tried sugar on a wound. How's that work for you?

I don't know about sugar, but as I am sure you know, honey has been used on wounds for thousands of years.

Sugar is good only for open heart surgery..It turns the person into a sweetheart. HA HA

shortrod2 wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
but never tried sugar on a wound. How's that work for you?

I don't know about sugar, but as I am sure you know, honey has been used on wounds for thousands of years.

Good one!

True, too.

PPF, I respectfully suggest that you don't quit your day job.

I was going to quit and come work on your farm....drats

Back