Messageboard Etiquette

Most of us are way more courteous to one another in person.

I'm actually not sure this is a true statement. I think people tend to type what they'd say in person. It's how it's taken that can be different. Tone of voice, body language, etc. means so much in conversation, and is totally lost in type. What reads like an over the top insult, sounds, in person, like good natured ribbing, or simple disagreement where both sides can disagree with a smile on their face knowing it's not personal and that the other side isn't taking it as such.

I found it was a big help going to jams and meeting other members. You get a feel for how a person talks. And suddenly their online posts take on a new feel when you picture their face saying it with the intended inflections and body language. You don't get that at all until you meet them.

Anytime I see a post from FD, I just picture him with that silly hat on. lol.

"Anytime I see a post from FD, I just picture him with that silly hat on. lol."
Sayeth the eastern dude with the western hat.

Actually, it's a far eastern hat. :) Err, maybe better to describe it as a "down under" hat.

It's an outback hat, made in Australia.

Respectfully speaking, I can attest that Pat is just as long winded in person as he is here especially if you talk college football.

Furthermore, I am just as big of a smartass in person as I am on here.

Maybe I should replace my avatar with a picture of me wearing that hat. Naaaa.

It was still good advice by Jack who is just as drunk in person...

Never mind. ;-)

He must have been directing that at Mario.
(he knows I am joking).

Next Jam, I'm wearing an Amish hat for Bikerfish's benefit (inside joke).

Go to a Jam. Folks are a lot different than here. Especially when it come to the OT Forum. I hope I've never insulted anyone cause that's not me.
Dave, better to be a smartass than a dumbass. Or something like that.
Pete you need to make a Jam,we could ride up from the swamp together. GG

This is an excellent thread for me. I know I've struggled with others, both in person and on line, making assumptions about their intentions when they were completely innocent. I'm finally learning to withhold judgment until it's irrefutible that someone intends harm. Even then, one does not need to respond in kind. Just keep your "firewall" up.

gulfgreyhound wrote:

Pete you need to make a Jam,we could ride up from the swamp together. GG

2 to 1 says that his new lady-friend won't let him.

No disrespect meant to his lady-friend, of course.;-)

It is often hard to do, but ignoring irascible posters is as easy to do as ignoring belligerent ones.

The good thing is that eventually, the tools become known as tools and draw less attention as people learn to ignore them. I know a good many have learned to ignore me and it makes it easier for me that way as well.

Oh Jack, no one could ever ignore you!

Ignore the trolls...the mods will exorcise the demons!

Funny thing I should visit the board just now after another long absence to find this post. Jack, I vividly remember arguing with you almost constantly years ago when you were new to the board. Where did we find the time? Hope all is well.

It is often hard to do, but ignoring irascible posters is as easy to do as ignoring belligerent ones.

I had to google the definition of irascible. It made me angry.

Pcray, you have excellent humor, if you don't mind me saying....

I looked up the defintion of belligerent, next thing you know I'm throwing the monitor across the room.

JackM wrote:

It should be even easier to ignore ostentatious or bombastic posters, but I still can't resist.

no fair-you guys use spell check-bet only PCray could live with out it.

pete41 wrote:
no fair-you guys use spell check-bet only PCray could live with out it.

You're on!

Mose Scinentists our tarrible spellors.

Nice to hear from you, Will. I was a huge tool when I first came here; now, a little smaller. And I know for a fact that my relationship with many of you certainly improved after meeting in person and spending time fishing and BSing.

JackM wrote:
ignoring irascible posters is as easy to do as ignoring belligerent ones.

That was aimed at me but I'm ignoring it in spite of my training at the argument clinic.

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
A: No it isn't.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!

A: Yes it is!
M: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
A: No it isn't.
M: It is.
A: Not at all.

A classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjCqjzbvJY

Back