Mayflies Hatching on Susquehanna in Late March, early April?

T

troutbert

Some people who live near Selinsgrove told me they say big mayflies hatching during the warm spell in late March, and also yesterday.

The description was: about the size of the end of my thumb, dark-colored, and hatching in pretty large numbers.

Does anyone have a hatch chart for the smallmouth rivers?

Some people who live near Selinsgrove told me they say big mayflies hatching during the warm spell in late March, and also yesterday.

The description was: about the size of the end of my thumb, dark-colored, and hatching in pretty large numbers.

Quill Gordon’s can be big like size 12 this time of year? but I don’t know if the habitats req on the susky could even support I’m ignorant on the subject.

Are you sure they aren't seeing stoneflies? I grew up living right next to the Susky and have never seen any big mayflies hatch, especially so early in March or April.

Are you sure they aren't seeing stoneflies? I grew up living right next to the Susky and have never seen any big mayflies hatch, especially so early in March or April.

It is possible the people I was talking to might not know stoneflies from mayflies.

I'm inclined to think stoneflies too.

This time of year you can see some enormous hatches of brown stoneflies on the Susky and Juniata Rivers. It's really impressive, even if the fish are rarely interested. These bugs are pretty large, think size #12-14.

Back