Maxcatch ECO Reels?

I used to walk across high dams a lot as kid, probably because it was the fastest way to get to the other side. ;)

However I break out in a cold sweat thinking about it now because regardless of which way I fell I would have been killed because I can't swim...

...seriously!!

In regards to impulses, the one & only time in my life I went the spare spool route was with my CFO's. So there IS a chance I was swapping spools while standing on top of that dam that day and for some reason though it would be easier with the reel off the rod but regardless...

I didn't intentionally drop the reel off the dam... :(

In regards to location, if Mike sees my post he should recognize the dam location but for the time being I'll keep the contest open... ;)
I have no idea where that dam is but I’d have been one of those knuckleheads who would have walked it for sure. I however can swim. Can’t believe you can’t swim yet still walked that thing!

I have no idea where that dam is but I’d have been one of those knuckleheads who would have walked it for sure. I however can swim. Can’t believe you can’t swim yet still walked that thing!

Nobody ever gave me credit for being smart... :)

I live in Northern Delaware so not so far away. I've been scouting out all the closest spots to try and this was one I ran across. Not sure I could make it across that damn at this point either.

It was a favorite haunt of mine as a kid. About 50 yards to the left of that dam was where I learned to cast a fly rod and where I caught my first fish on a fly rod so it holds a special place in my memories.

Access is considerably limited compared to my youth. It's mostly fishing from the side of the road where there aren't houses . It's also my understanding you can no longer fish from the property on the other side of the dam even if you had the attachments to walk across. ;)

There is a smaller "pool" of water in the backwaters upstream of the homes along Crum Creek Road that we used to call the "duck pond" where you call pull off the road to fish but you'll have to time your backcasts to avoid cars.

Good luck if you go fishing there!!

I own 1 ECO reel and I only use it for lining up guides and doing tests of where guides should go on my rod builds. The reel is junk in my opinion. Its just not very tight with its tolerances. I do however own several MaxCatch reels that I have ZERO complaints about!. I'm a fan of the Avid Pro, Avids, Tail Light Weight, etc. Never had an issue with them.

I own 1 ECO reel and I only use it for lining up guides and doing tests of where guides should go on my rod builds. The reel is junk in my opinion. Its just not very tight with its tolerances. I do however own several MaxCatch reels that I have ZERO complaints about!. I'm a fan of the Avid Pro, Avids, Tail Light Weight, etc. Never had an issue with them.
Thanks. I've been using what I'd call a mid-lower quality reels (dogwood canyon from BassPro). For $40-50, they get the job done and haven't failed, despite not being made from machined aluminum. The cheapest reel I ever used was a Martin die-cast that completely misaligned when I dropped in on hard-packed dirt from about 3 feet. It had been given to me and at the time I was told, "Don't ever drop this thing."

Dear Board,

I own 2 sets of the MaxCatch cassette reels. A reel with 4 cassettes for less than the price of a spare spool paired with a Piscifun Sword rod makes for a nice combo when float tubing or fishing from a kayak. I don't like to take my good stuff out when there is a chance I could lose it. Bass and panfish ain't exactly gear snobs.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have the Avid pro. I just started out and I've used it about 10x. It's way better than I expected for the price. Drag is smooth. I don't have anything to compare it to other than spinning reels but I like it. I've dropped it a couple times and caught some pretty big fish on it. No complaints. I wish I would have thought to look at older, used American made reels that were mentioned above. I would have rather had something like that.

Back