material for wings

J

jrcll

just curious, has anybody ever tied mayfly wings, dun or preferably an emerger, using a used dryer sheet...

No, but I’m intrigued and searching for my wing burners. Found a video on there use as caddis wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZWlzrrkT8

wow, excellent... thats what i was looking for ...guess i should have searched youtube myself...

I've never used this material but it might be promising.

Tie up some flies with it, take 'em fishing, and report back on what you learned. This would be an interesting thread.

Interesting using spray paint, but my experience with sheet wing materials and dryer sheets way back when is while they look great and catch fish, they don't fish as great.

They can tend to be heavy and sometimes cause flies to land "wrong" or cause a tippet to twist badly. In addition, because dryer sheets are unwoven, they will eventually begin to fray and fall apart and your pretty flies will look like a mess.

All of this pessimism is just a suggestion to first try making a FEW flies with dryer sheets and take them out for field trials before committing to tying up dozens.

My experience had been the same. While the wing burner wings look great. They make flies a bit difficult to cast and twist your line especially in sizes 14 and up.

I had a complete set of wing burners and gave them away to someone looking for them on this site's swap forum.

My favorite wing material is para-post for parachute fly's, and wood duck\CDC for emerger's. Malard for wet fly wings.

These materials are easy to tie on and give a good representation of a wing.....and after all....I just wanna fake 'em out and these materials seem to do that.

While never using dryer sheets, I have had issues with any material that doesn't allow air to pass through. Causes the fly to helicopter and with a few cast the leader is all twisted and bundled up.

Back