Maryland

salmo

salmo

I have a few days to fish in the third week of August. I always wanted to try NW Maryland or West Virginia. The lower Savage below the dam looks cool enough to fish.

A couple of questions:

1. What are the water levels like in August?;
2. Are the tributaries likely fishable?;
3. Is there good access on the Savage;?
4. Can anybody recommend a place to stay other than a tent?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, anyone interested in meeting up streamside?

salmo wrote:
I have a few days to fish in the third week of August. I always wanted to try NW Maryland or West Virginia. The lower Savage below the dam looks cool enough to fish.

A couple of questions:

1. What are the water levels like in August?;
2. Are the tributaries likely fishable?;
3. Is there good access on the Savage;?
4. Can anybody recommend a place to stay other than a tent?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, anyone interested in meeting up streamside?

The lower Savage will be right around 50 cfs with water temps in the 55-60 range. This is on the low side of flows but definitely a nice flow to wade and fish. The tribs will be a little warm to the upper Savage but it's about to start cooling off quite a bit this week, low temp is 49 tonight where I am. By the 3rd week in August it's possible they might be in decent shape. There is plenty of access to the Savage, there are a handful of areas that are off limits. You can check out Savage river outfitters, they have cabins to rent that are nice. If you're looking to stay on the cheap there are some decent hotels in Frostburg about 25 minutes away. There are also some very basic cabins for rent on the north branch of the potomac at barnum. Send me a PM if you need anymore level of detail. I'm up at deep creek lake for a week so should get some fishing in.

Ryansheehan is dead on.

Back