Marabou "Bloods or blood feathers"?

osprey

osprey

On several occasions while listening to a few more famous of our brothers and sisters speak (Bob Clouser, Cathy Beck,Lefty Kreh) the topic of tying with marabou would come up and always these folks would use the term "Bloods, or blood feathers when talking about marabou and what feathers we should look for when buying. Do any of you know what they mean by "Bloods" i guess i should have asked when i had the chance but you know how those events are, there are alot of people with alot of questions and i didn't ask, so do any of you know what is meant by the term "Bloods" when referring to marabou feathers?

Blood feathers refer to the feathers at the bottom of the stem. They do not have a thick stem running through them and are used primarily to give the fly a "fuzzy" appearance and better animation in the water.

Thanks Rich i appreciate the info........thank you too JackM, i guess.

Bloods are new, growing feathers, that haven't fully developed.

They are common on young pheasants and ducks and on fowl that are coming through molt.
On the living birds, the feather stems are thick and soft and still have blood flowing into the feather through the stem to provide nutrients to grow the feathers. It's similar to antler growth (growing antlers are full of blood providing nutrients.)
As the feather matures past blood stage, part of the cuticle (or whatever the proper name is) sheds. You can sometimes find these as short stem tubes on the shaft of the immature feather.

The difference between a blood and a fully mature feather is similar to the difference between a plant terminal bud and the teminal end after the bud shoots.
In the immature stage both the bud and the blood are compact and dense (and for feathers the tips of barbels are all about the same length). When it matures the barbels are stretched out along the length of the bolted feather stem.

Another name for bloods is "pin feathers". They are the most difficult to pluck without tearing skin.

If you ever get the chance to pluck a duck or chicken you'll quickly learn.
If you hunt stocked pheasants, you'll find plenty of bloods on the skin, especially tails and wings.
In fact, most birds plumage matures just prior to mating (spring), when the attractiveness of plumage is key. For ducks, molt ususally happens in summer and continues into the fall.
Most of the ducks and other game birds killed during the fall (especially the majority killed - birds of the year) are not in prime plumage, but body fat and muscle (meat) condition is prime.

An immature fowl neck or rump patch intended for fly tying will have a number of young feathers and not be suited for dry flys, because the stem is not fully developed and the barbels are not at their peak for stiffness and orientation to the shaft.

Too old (in terms of stage of feather cycle) and the feather becomes brittle and difficult to use well. (Improper treatment, including some forms of dying can cause brittleness or deformation of the feather as well.)

A number of fowl, such as grouse and pheasant, have secondary feathers (called "down" on ducks). These feathers are fluffy and insulative.
Pheasant secondary feathers (a natural grey) when dyed olive make great legs for cress bugs and sow bugs, but the stems are rather weak. However, they can be protected to improve fly durability by wrapping them in the groves between dubbed body wraps. On pheasants, these feathers are off-shoots from the base of primary body feathers. On ducks, the down remains when the primary body feathers are removed.

Found the same discussion on a tying site. Great info Vern, thanks. Here's some photos that may be helpful:

Attachments

• proton_back_of_neck_detail.jpg
    proton_back_of_neck_detail.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1
  • proton_barb_highlighted 2.jpg
    proton_barb_highlighted 2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2
  • proton_hackle 3.jpg
    proton_hackle 3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2
Thanks vern that is pretty close to the impression i got when listening,especially to Bob Clouser , who touted the "bloods" as what to look for in quality marabou.

Back